Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Crayford dogs

A suggestion for anyone racking their brains, where to go for a socially distanced pint and a bit of live sport. It's Wednesday - Friday afternoon meetings and had about 10 people there. Also open Tuesday & Saturday evenings (and Saturday morning).

Now previously this may have been unattractive, but presently table service beers, with not many people is quite attractive to me. 

You have to book in advance. You sit inside (strangely). They have a car park (free I think).

Comments

• Bloody hell, that place has gone a bit upmarket from when I was last there.
  • https://www.crayford.com/dog-and-bitch-of-the-month.html

I thought bitch of the month was a reference to Southall and Nimer  :D
  • Used to work there in the evenings in the 70s while I was doing A levels. 

It was before Ladbrokes took over and let’s just say there were some dubious practices at the time.
  • Good tip, thanks 

It was before Ladbrokes took over and let’s just say there were some dubious practices at the time.
    Its still dodgy now tbh

When I worked at William Hill any bets placed at Crayford or Romford if it was over a certain amount we had to ring head office to make sure we could place it, as both those tracks were well known for fixing races
  • New stadium when we leave the Valley 😁
  • I had a lot of contact with the track when I worked for Laddies, and have had a few good nights out there.

My youngest had a birthday party there - few of his mates in the restaurant upstairs, tour of the kennels with the Ops Director of Ladbrokes Stadia, and a race in his name (we all backed the winner - given to Danny by the trainer) and he presented the trophy to the winning owner.

He was 11 - I started them young!
  • Greyhound racing is a cracking night out.  Although a shame that Crayford is a bit cramped.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2020
    Not a patch on the old stadium, used to love going to the Banger Racing there (and Speedway)
    My old man used to take me to the banger racing, like you I used to love it.

Would probably cringe if I watched it now and saw all those classics being trashed.
  • 1 3 6 up and down twice
  • I used to go there nearly 50 years ago, Saturday night used to get a big crowd.
  • I used to go there nearly 50 years ago, Saturday night used to get a big crowd.
    Walthamstow used to get 3-4 thousand at certain meetings.
  • Good shout. 

Its still dodgy now tbh

When I worked at William Hill any bets placed at Crayford or Romford if it was over a certain amount we had to ring head office to make sure we could place it, as both those tracks were well known for fixing races
    If both tracks were Well known for fixed races, why did the NGRC / Fraud Squad not shut them down. I think you will find that if a number of good judges frequent a track and perform winning analysis, then major firms want any significant bets rang through to HO. Nothing to do with race fixing. 

Can you imagine the repercussions for The Ladbroke /Coral group if race fixing was proven...... 
  • Good night out down there, kids always enjoyed it too picking out the dogs to back
  • edited October 2020
    Used to work there in the evenings in the 70s while I was doing A levels. 

Its still dodgy now tbh

If both tracks were Well known for fixed races, why did the NGRC / Fraud Squad not shut them down. I think you will find that if a number of good judges frequent a track and perform winning analysis, then major firms want any significant bets rang through to HO. Nothing to do with race fixing. 

Can you imagine the repercussions for The Ladbroke /Coral group if race fixing was proven...... 
    But you could say that about any track.

All I know is what I was told when I first joined which was those 2 tracks an singles £50 or more had to be rung through to see if any paterns were forming and if they were we couldn't take the bet.

I asked my manager why and he said they were both known tracks for fixing races I:E over feeding favourites before races 
  • Not a patch on the old stadium, used to love going to the Banger Racing there (and Speedway)

Would probably cringe if I watched it now and saw all those classics being trashed.
    But then it's only the passage of time which turns Austin Cambridges and Ford Zodiacs from being old heaps to classic cars

I imagine modern day banger racing would have Mondeos, Passats and 3 series which in 20 years times will be seen as treasured classics!
  • Catford was good as well. Does anyone remember the george cole/ Leeds Permanent advert filmed at Catford with his greyhound. Look at the interes rate offered on the Liquid Gold account and salivate!
  • Sponsored links:

• Catford was good as well. Does anyone remember the george cole/ Leeds Permanent advert filmed at Catford with his greyhound. Look at the interes rate offered on the Liquid Gold account and salivate!
    Living in Catford now on Perry Hill Road, I always walk over Catford Bridge as I head into Catford Town Centre and see the paintings of the dogs on the bridge and have always wondered exactly where the stadium was

Its still dodgy now tbh

All I know is what I was told when I first joined which was those 2 tracks an singles above £50 had to be rung through to see if any paterns were forming and if they were we couldn't take the bet.

I asked my manager why and he said they were both known tracks for fixing races I:E over feeding favourites before races 
    A dog that is asked to race after being fed, will almost certainly be sick, after the race. If that occurs the sick is collected bagged up and weighed. An ok you have stuffed the fav, which one of the other 5 is guaranteed to win. If the weighed food is deemed to be anything other than a light breakfast, an inquiry is called. The trainer can be called to the NGRC where they can lose their trainers licence. So their entire career is knackered , their home and business ruined. As iv said before how much would you want to run that risk, £5000, £10,000 £25,000.  So if you pay the trainer £25,000 , how much you going to make £75,000.  Believe me I’ve owned and raced dogs for over 30 years. You can not get those sort of bets on. 

In the seventies and 80s when technology was very low in dog racing, like many other sports cheating was more common place. Since the mid nineties the technology and drug testing etc has made any kind of skulduggery, almost impossible. 

• edited October 2020
    Used to work there in the evenings in the 70s while I was doing A levels. 

Its still dodgy now tbh

All I know is what I was told when I first joined which was those 2 tracks an singles £50 or more had to be rung through to see if any paterns were forming and if they were we couldn't take the bet.

Crayford and Romford were/are BAGS tracks, purely designed to offer animated bingo for betting shop customers. I knew the General Manager of many years at Crayford, and the Ops Director of both Ladbroke stadiums - both hugely respected men in the greyhound game. I also knew the racing manager.
    If races are bent it is the off course bookmaker who gets stung - Crayford (and Monmore, the other Laddies track) were and still are squeaky clean.
  • Not a patch on the old stadium, used to love going to the Banger Racing there (and Speedway)

But then it's only the passage of time which turns Austin Cambridges and Ford Zodiacs from being old heaps to classic cars

I imagine modern day banger racing would have Mondeos, Passats and 3 series which in 20 years times will be seen as treasured classics!
    Remember when it was always MG Magnettes getting trashed on those tracks. I would cringe.
  • edited October 2020
    Catford was good as well. Does anyone remember the george cole/ Leeds Permanent advert filmed at Catford with his greyhound. Look at the interes rate offered on the Liquid Gold account and salivate!
    Living in Catford now on Perry Hill Road, I always walk over Catford Bridge as I head into Catford Town Centre and see the paintings of the dogs on the bridge and have always wondered exactly where the stadium was

Catford Bridge in blue, approximate outline of dog track in red

...and an aerial shot of the Stadium. Posh side on the left, cheap side on the right

LONDON Catford  Greyhound Racing Times

Its still dodgy now tbh

All I know is what I was told when I first joined which was those 2 tracks an singles above £50 had to be rung through to see if any paterns were forming and if they were we couldn't take the bet.

A dog that is asked to race after being fed, will almost certainly be sick, after the race. If that occurs the sick is collected bagged up and weighed. An ok you have stuffed the fav, which one of the other 5 is guaranteed to win. If the weighed food is deemed to be anything other than a light breakfast, an inquiry is called. The trainer can be called to the NGRC where they can lose their trainers licence. So their entire career is knackered , their home and business ruined. As iv said before how much would you want to run that risk, £5000, £10,000 £25,000.  So if you pay the trainer £25,000 , how much you going to make £75,000.  Believe me I’ve owned and raced dogs for over 30 years. You can not get those sort of bets on. 

In the seventies and 80s when technology was very low in dog racing, like many other sports cheating was more common place. Since the mid nineties the technology and drug testing etc has made any kind of skulduggery, almost impossible. 

WOOF WOOF!!

Figure of 8 destruction derby!
    The shit awful, depressing blocks of flats alongside the railway line.  Whomever the architect was deserves to be removed from practice.
  • edited October 2020
    Used to live near White City and used to attend most nights of the greyhound Derby during The early eighties. Used to get nearly 20,000 there for the final which was live on the Beeb, hosted by Harry Carpenter. The atmosphere for the final was electric. 
  • Wasn't Graham Stuart heavily into greyhound racing, didn't he even appear on Sky's TV coverage?