Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Can anyone recommend a good agent to let a property in Forest Hill?

My current agent, despite me being with them for years, are being very unprofessional and rude. Charge for a completely unnecessary visit during lockdown to measure up for a quote (for standard size equipment) and we have agreed to part ways.

The current tenants (who have been good)  want to stay but can't commit past 6 months so I'd like to keep them 

Not even sure if the agent has even told them that as not replying to my emails asking for options for moving forward 

Comments

• You could set up a periodic tenancy once the existing one expires - worth reading up on. Wouldn't require any renewal fee.
  • You could set up a periodic tenancy once the existing one expires - worth reading up on. Wouldn't require any renewal fee.
    Can we continue with a rolling contract? Isn't it safer with an agent and what happens with the deposit that's been lodged? Once hese tenants go it will need to be marketed and I'd prefer to be with an agency as looking to rent it for 4 years before selling it
    Can we continue with a rolling contract? Isn't it safer with an agent and what happens with the deposit that's been lodged? Once hese tenants go it will need to be marketed and I'd prefer to be with an agency as looking to rent it for 4 years before selling it
    https://thebla.co.uk/

Haven't had to use them but they might be able to give you some advice.
  • edited September 2020
    I can vouch for leaf lettings, Charlton family owned too. Worth a call at least, even if just for advice. 

http://www.leaflondon.co.uk/index-2.html

• The deposit should be in a separate (ie separate from the agent) account - get a mate to phone pretending to be a potential tenant and get them to ask 'and where will my deposit be held?' if you are getting no joy from them.  The tenants should get the deposit back providing they keep to the terms of the tenancy and I seem to remember you just have to confirm it is ok to be released.

Also look at what you are paying agent against what services they are providing - you can take out fairly cheap insurance against non-payment of rent, you have to pay anyway for maintenance, so if you have a good handyperson available, the tenants tell you rather than the agent and you send round the handyperson - I think it costs about 1 month's rent + VAT for a finder's fee where the agent does the screening, the credit checks, the legal checks, the viewings, and puts the deposit in a safe place for you, and thereafter all the rent just comes to you.
  • I've used these to rent out my Catford flat for the last three years - https://www.stanfordestates.london/

They have an office in Forest Hill as well. No problems so far, very professional and none of the incompetence and dishonesty that I usually associate with agents.

If your existing tenants want to stay, and you're confident that they're good for the rent, looking after the place, etc then I'd do it direct with the tenants and only sign up again with an agent when you need to get new tenants in. 

• edited September 2020
    MrLargo said:
    I've used these to rent out my Catford flat for the last three years - https://www.stanfordestates.london/

They have an office in Forest Hill as well. No problems so far, very professional and none of the incompetence and dishonesty that I usually associate with agents.

If your existing tenants want to stay, and you're confident that they're good for the rent, looking after the place, etc then I'd do it direct with the tenants and only sign up again with an agent when you need to get new tenants in. 

Unfortunately is is Stanford Estates who are the problem, lol.

Thanks for the advice TG and MrL

The tenants are good and looking to stay for another 6 months. I know where they work and would take out a non-payment of rent insurance etc.

So as long as their deposit situation is still straightforward I could go it alone until change of tenant and go to an agent again for marketing, viewings etc
  • MrLargo said:
    I've used these to rent out my Catford flat for the last three years - https://www.stanfordestates.london/

The tenants are good and looking to stay for another 6 months. I know where they work and would take out a non-payment of rent insurance etc.

So as long as their deposit situation is still straightforward I could go it alone until change of tenant and go to an agent again for marketing, viewings etc
    Ah well, thanks for the tip off, I'd better keep an eye on Stanfords then. I'll probably be starting a similar thread to complain about them myself in a few months.
  • MrLargo said:
    MrLargo said:

Ah well, thanks for the tip off, I'd better keep an eye on Stanfords then. I'll probably be starting a similar thread to complain about them myself in a few months.
    I've never had to pay for a quote in my life. And the visit wasn't even necessary to 'measure up' for standard equipment I was replacing. I didn't authorise the visit and they had previously quoted to replace another appliance without a visit. And the company got the work! But they wouldn't have any of it and were very rude, unprofessional, stubborn and wouldn't listen to reason.
  • MrLargo said:
    MrLargo said:

I've never had to pay for a quote in my life. And the visit wasn't even necessary to 'measure up' for standard equipment I was replacing. I didn't authorise the visit and they had previously quoted to replace another appliance without a visit. And the company got the work! But they wouldn't have any of it and were very rude, unprofessional, stubborn and wouldn't listen to reason.
    That does sound poor, and I've certainly never heard of paying for a quote either.

Good luck with getting it sorted.
  • Sponsored links:

• MrLargo said:

This is good advice.

• MrLargo said:
    MrLargo said:
    MrLargo said:

That does sound poor, and I've certainly never heard of paying for a quote either.

I’ve had to pay for quotes before and then had the cost of the quote knocked off the final bill.
  • iainment said:
    MrLargo said:
    MrLargo said:
    MrLargo said:

I’ve had to pay for quotes before and then had the cost of the quote knocked off the final bill.
    That would be fair enough. But they didn't even do that. We have had dozens of quotes for work when we re-furbed our house, some entailing a lot longer than measuring up (for a standard unit) but never been charged. I understand if technical drawings etc were involved too. The agent were so defensive, I would not be surprised if they have some deal or retainer
  • Steer clear of Acorn !!!
  • I can vouch for leaf lettings, Charlton family owned too. Worth a call at least, even if just for advice. 

http://www.leaflondon.co.uk/index-2.html

Leaf Lettings is owned by Ms AA's best friend's brother.  Sadly, she can't give you any inside knowledge as to whether he's any good or not at being a letting agent.
  • Foxton's in E Dulwich seem very switched on in terms of all the legalities that need to gone through to ensure a tenancy is correct for both tenant and landlord.  Their letting pack is a lot more involved than just a contract with blanks filled in for names, addresses, etc.  Whether they then manage things properly or not is of course a different question.
  • Foxton's in E Dulwich seem very switched on in terms of all the legalities that need to gone through to ensure a tenancy is correct for both tenant and landlord.  Their letting pack is a lot more involved than just a contract with blanks filled in for names, addresses, etc.  Whether they then manage things properly or not is of course a different question.
    Foxton’s are very good at taking a lot of commission but not in my experience of delivering a good overall experience for either tenant or landlord.