Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

jimmymelrose: unprecedented victory

I just have to shout this from the rooftops and make no apologies. 

After fourteen years of playing tennis and going out of tournaments in the early rounds, l entered today's one day tournament in good form.

Ten hours and four matches later I pulled off a shock victory in a super tie- break in the final, having beaten three players more highly ranked than me and none ranked below.

My first ever tournament win, as usual played in a red Charlton top. The second match in the first set was a big moment with a tie break win which led me to kiss the badge, something I never do but it just happened. Spectators congratulated me saying that I just wouldn't stop running and digging out lost cause balls and I just replied that if you wear this shirt you have to be prepared to give everything.

The Charlton in France preacher was right in the zone today. F***ing yes! A day to remember. 

Comments

• Options
    Good on you mate 
  • Options
    Well done Jimmy. Hard to believe it’s over 25yrs ago I used to bump into you down Cheapside mate 
  • Options
    Well done Jimmy. Hard to believe it’s over 25yrs ago I used to bump into you down Cheapside mate 
    Back in the days when Charlton had just got back to The Valley. Life is strange and full of uncertainty. One thing I know though is that you will re-find your love and enthusiasm of the beautiful game. You seem so down about it all what with the ownership, Covid19 and everything. I'm looking forward to a more upbeat and joyous afka soon. 
  • Options
    Nice one, dude
  • Options
    If at first you don't succeed...
  • Options
    Well done. You’ve now discovered the winning mentality, so on you go for more victories. Allez Jimmy Melrose!
  • Options
    Congratulations Jimmy it's good to be a winner. However I expect Golfie will be on shortly as well to bring you down to earth 😉.
  • Options
    Well done - I am useless at every sport, so impressed at your determination! Have a challenge match with @bolloxbolder - I happen to know he's pretty handy with a racquet.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So, basically someone in a Charlton shirt that all day long wasn’t hitting the net or getting the ball over the line. Doesn’t sound like anything special...
  • Options
    So, basically someone in a Charlton shirt that all day long wasn’t hitting the net or getting the ball over the line. Doesn’t sound like anything special...
    Your name really suits you ;)
  • Options
    Well done Jimmy.  Inspiration here to make it a three in a row.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_FXlNUHt5A
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Your name really suits you ;)

Barney could attest that whilst Stig’s method of assessment was often considered a bit unusual by some he was spot on when he reached the conclusion that LTGTR had on balance been pretty fortunate in life 
  • Options
    Retire as a champion? Nice one. 
  • Options
    Well done, young man !

Bet your tennis playing Dad is very proud of you.
  • Options
    Congrats mate. I love wearing my Charlton shirts out in public at non-Charlton sporting events. Wore the CARD B&W shirt in the Manchester 10k and love the pic at the finish. 

Savour the moment.