Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Olivia de Havilland, RIP

The last surviving actress of the Hollywood golden age has passed away at the grand old age of 104.

RIP Miss de Havilland.  

Comments

• RIP Last of the cast from Gone With The Wind
  • Terrific actress, English Rose  .. R I P
  • As a teenager, not only did I collect autographs from Charlton players but also Hollywood greats, whom I wrote to requesting a signed photo. Somewhere I have an album containing Marlene Dietrich, Kirk Douglas, Burt Lancaster, Bette Davis, etc. Olivia de Havilland sent me a signed photo of her in 'Gone with the Wind'. It's sad that another link with that era has gone.

What a great thing to have.  @stig and @cafc999 may wish to chat with you.

RIP Olivia
  • As a teenager, not only did I collect autographs from Charlton players but also Hollywood greats, whom I wrote to requesting a signed photo. Somewhere I have an album containing Marlene Dietrich, Kirk Douglas, Burt Lancaster, Bette Davis, etc. Olivia de Havilland sent me a signed photo of her in 'Gone with the Wind'. It's sad that another link with that era has gone.

What a great thing to have.  @stig and @cafc999 may wish to chat with you.

RIP Olivia
    A friend and I found an advert in a film magazine for film stars addresses - £5 for 40. We wrote to the oldest stars, on the basis that time was running out for them! I would never have expected Olivia de Havilland to have been alive 35 years later. Several never replied such as Garbo and Bardot but the majority did. 
  • TTM (Through The Mail) has always been a risky way of collecting autographs, especially those of Hollywood A Listers as many of them get their secretaries to sign on their behalf.
  • What a classic beauty!

RIP
  • cafc999 said:
    TTM (Through The Mail) has always been a risky way of collecting autographs, especially those of Hollywood A Listers as many of them get their secretaries to sign on their behalf.
    Ah, my dreams are shattered. I hoped at the time that as their glory days had passed, they may receive less mail and I knocked a few years off my real age, thinking that posing as a 12-year-old might get lead to the Hollywood icon taking pity on me and sending me a genuine signed photo. I also asked them to sign them to me (my first name) as I had no interest in selling them. From what you say, I reckon I have ONE definitely genuine reply - a typed letter and signed photo, not from a Hollywood star, but Joan Sims!
  • She starred in one of my favourite films, the Robin Hood one with Errol Flynn. I watched It over and over again in the cinema on the ten pound pom boat taking us to Australia (no, I wasn’t being transported), I was six years old and was absolutely captivated. Picked it up on DVD a couple of years back, and it’s still magical to watch. I know she was in Gone with the Wind, but she’ll always be Maid Marion to me.

RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Wow, fantastic age to have achieved.
  • cafc999 said:
    TTM (Through The Mail) has always been a risky way of collecting autographs, especially those of Hollywood A Listers as many of them get their secretaries to sign on their behalf.
    Ah, my dreams are shattered. I hoped at the time that as their glory days had passed, they may receive less mail and I knocked a few years off my real age, thinking that posing as a 12-year-old might get lead to the Hollywood icon taking pity on me and sending me a genuine signed photo. I also asked them to sign them to me (my first name) as I had no interest in selling them. From what you say, I reckon I have ONE definitely genuine reply - a typed letter and signed photo, not from a Hollywood star, but Joan Sims!
    Joan Sims is a superstar in my books, if only for her Carry On performances. 

I’ve got Sid James autograph on a Bless This House photo. My wife used to teach the granddaughter of Diana Copeland and she donated it to a school fundraiser auction. She attended the night as well and signed the picture too after I’d won it (I was so desperate to win it, I was bidding against myself at one point). She was a lovely lady.