Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Builders coming tomorrow - what do I do COVID wise?

We’re having some work done in our chimney outside and the fireplace indoors. What do  need to do safety wise for everyone? 

Comments

• No need for them to come in for the chimney works. 

Inside works. Make them wear masks, gloves and shoe covers. Restrict them to the room they need and clean down once they’ve finished
  • iainment said:
    Panic and go to Spain to chill.
    I’m good at the first part
  • No need for them to come in for the chimney works. 

Inside works. Make them wear masks, gloves and shoe covers. Restrict them to the room they need and clean down once they’ve finished
    Thank you. What do I clean it down with? Anti bacterial stuff? I’d usually make tea etc - what do I do there? God this is so bloody awkward 
  • Ours are outside but come in every now and again. Don’t offer tea etc as we normally do. To be honest they’re taking so long, they can do without 1 of their 40 tea breaks a day. And he’s a massive arsehole. Minimal c19 measures taken generally.
  • Boom said:
    Ours are outside but come in every now and again. Don’t offer tea etc as we normally do. To be honest they’re taking so long, they can do without 1 of their 40 tea breaks a day. And he’s a massive arsehole. Minimal c19 measures taken generally.
    I’m dreading it tbh. It’s got to be done but I hate the disruption. 
  • Open windows in room they’re in , that’s the request we get from John Lewis when they delivered and installed TVs and keep 2m away 
  • Boom said:
    Ours are outside but come in every now and again. Don’t offer tea etc as we normally do. To be honest they’re taking so long, they can do without 1 of their 40 tea breaks a day. And he’s a massive arsehole. Minimal c19 measures taken generally.
    No need to dread it. Sounds like they won’t be indoors too much anyway. Just keep your distance and anti bac if needs be.
  • As a tradesman i ask for social distance and have a mask and gloves. Keep windows open . One thing i do hate is a room full of people so keep away. Chill in garden if weather nice.
    A cuppa wont hurt tho . 
  • Sponsored links:

• try wouldn’t panic too much @Arsenetatters, the current level of infection in the general community in the UK is very low.

personally I would not require trades in my house to wear a mask but if you are concerned, if they can wear a mask and gloves and you can be in a different room or preferably outside while they are working that seems safe to me. 
  • If a reputable company they will know what to do. From their point of view you or Mr tatters might have the lurgy.
  • Boom said:

Try not  to worry too much, I hope it all goes well.
  • i am a self employed gardener, a rule I have made is not to accept any cups of tea for my safety
    and for the clients, every one understands.
  • cblock said:
    i am a self employed gardener, a rule I have made is not to accept any cups of tea for my safety
    How do you manage?  ;)
  • cblock said:
    i am a self employed gardener, a rule I have made is not to accept any cups of tea for my safety
    Does that include beers from me next year....
  • Panic postponed until tomorrow due to rain apparently
  • I have an engineer coming to service my hot tub tomorrow and they have sent me a list of do's & dont's which has taken the hassle out of me thinking about it. 
  • As in, do keep out of our way.
    Dont sit naked in it during our visit.
  • ROTW said:
    As in, do keep out of our way.
    Dont sit naked in it during our visit.
    Do remove floaters

• Sponsored links:

• I have an engineer coming to service my hot tub tomorrow and they have sent me a list of do's & dont's which has taken the hassle out of me thinking about it. 

• Panic postponed until tomorrow due to rain apparently
    How did you get on arsey t? All good?
  • edited August 2020
    Boom said:
    Panic postponed until tomorrow due to rain apparently
    It’s been OK thanks. They’ve just got on with it and we’ve kept out of the way. Much less stressful than I anticipated, which is handy as they are going to be here for a few more weeks. The damp problem is bigger than we thought and the floorboards have got to come up to put in a concrete floor. Joy.
  • edited August 2020
    Just a quick question, @Arsenetatters, but is your property an old one with lime mortar construction?

Mine is one of these, and it's amazing the rubbish some builders used only to dealing with modern properties talk when it comes to this type of building.
  • IdleHans said:
    Just a quick question, @Arsenetatters, but is your property an old one with lime mortar construction?

Mine is one of these, and it's amazing the rubbish some builders used only to dealing with modern properties talk when it comes to this type of building.
    It’s an old flint building. If it had been any other builders I’d get a second opinion but they’ve been around for a long time and have done renovation of other old properties around here. 
  • Glad to hear it. As long as they are using sympathetic materials and not smothering the place with cement then you'll be fine.

I'm in the middle of righting a host of stupid 'improvements' that have caused interior damp and masonry degradation on mine at the moment. It's flint, chalk and brick construction from about 1790. Chipping out cement pointing is not much fun.
    Best of luck with yours!
  • Boom said:
    It’s been OK thanks. They’ve just got on with it and we’ve kept out of the way. Much less stressful than I anticipated, which is handy as they are going to be here for a few more weeks. The damp problem is bigger than we thought and the floorboards have got to come up to put in a concrete floor. Joy.
    What’s the cause of the damp?
  • Boom said:
    Elliot(t), Farnell and Southall. 
  • Boom said:
    There are two chimneys, one at one end of the house works fine and we use it. The other side of the house (damp) the fireplace was covered by some built in bookshelves. The builder took them off and found the chimney had been blocked off so no air flow. This room is the only one that hasn’t got a solid floor so having the wall ‘tanked’ and concrete floor
  • I have builders in from Monday next. Any heads ups as to what to say or do.