Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Anchour and Hope Lane

During the mid Thirties my mother when she left school until her marrage worked at a factory in Anchour and Hope Lane. She always said it was called The Cork and Seal, but I don't
 think that was its official name. From looking into my Ancestry I think it was Cap and Bottle,of course I may be wrong. Does anyone know of it or had realations that worked there.
 Or if anybody has any old photos they could put on here for me it would nice to see.

Comments

• edited July 2020
    Hi Derek, you probably already know this, but according to old maps the Bottle cap factory was on the corner with what is now Bugsbys Way on the site which Kwik fit is now part of. 

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/spy/#zoom=17.314958084447415&lat=51.49093&lon=0.02972&layers=170&b=1&r=42

There was major glass bottle manufacturing nearby, Charlton Glassworks probably. This article (http://greenwichindustrialhistory.blogspot.com/2014/02/charlton-glassworks-1946.html?m=1) says on the Sainsbury's site but on the same map you can actually see there a 'Glass bottle works' behind the Bottle cap factory at what is now the Meridian trading estate, as this screenshot show:

Others hopefully have more direct knowledge to help your enquiries. Good luck!
  • edited July 2020
    Factory marked by pink pin? (1947)

• That lat picture above shows Charlton greyhound stadium, allotments and sports ground with football pitch ..... what was that called and who played there, anyone know?

• Oggy Red said:
    That lat picture above shows Charlton greyhound stadium, allotments and sports ground with football pitch ..... what was that called and who played there, anyone know?

Charlton Greyhound Stadium; Dogs.

;) 
    No, @SporadicAddick not Charlton greyhound stadium, I'd already named that! :smile:

I meant the football pitch on the other side of the road.

Any idea?
  • Thank you all for the information,at least told me the correct name. As I have lived in kent all my life(sittingbourne) I only know the area round
     the Valley.All though my grandparents live in Woolwich,Frances Street so I do know that part of London. Growing up I loved the visits to my
     Grandparents especialy Christmas time with the large stores,Cuffs,Garretts, and R.A.C.S with their decorations, also all the stalls on the Square.
  • My grandad worked at the The United Glass bottle factory, or Charlton Glass Works as it was also called, but that was along a bit towards Woolwich, opposite where the White Horse is I think. Could still be linked though?

• .... I think he also had a stint at the Seimans factory too
  • I'd go with Sword's thinking. Here is a better shot of the Bottle and Cap factory and below that a close up of the sports ground, which appears to be a part of the Rope factory complex - there's a tennis court and some ornamental gardens in there as well. 

• Sponsored links:

• edited July 2020
    I love this sort of thing.

@Derek1952 there's a group on Facebook called Greenwich Industrial History that might also be able to provide you with some more info.
  • Anchor. 😕
  • Wasn't the cap factory called Johnson & Jorgason?

• Fascinating images @SporadicAddick, I love the long thin building that was a traditional rope twining shed, it was quarter of a mile long! 
  • SE7toSG3 said:
    Fascinating images @SporadicAddick, I love the long thin building that was a traditional rope twining shed, it was quarter of a mile long! 

It used to be money for old rope working there.
  • The glass factory was still there in the 70's I went to charlton secondary school and we used to spend alot of time throwing glass bottles down by the river. That's if it is the same factory ofcourse 
  • SE7toSG3 said:
    Fascinating images @SporadicAddick, I love the long thin building that was a traditional rope twining shed, it was quarter of a mile long! 
    If you want to see a long building go to Chatham Historic Dockyard and visit the ropery - it made the ropes for the Royal Navy and when built was longest building in the world at that time - still operational today (not for the Navy though) - they do tours and it is fascinating - making rope is not as easy as you think.....

brilliant day out and so much more to see as well (incl going inside a submarine)
  • Last picture, different angle; Bottle and Cap factory at the bottom, Bridon Ropes Factory and Sports Ground in the middle and a magnificent football ground at the top. 

That would be Stones, the original training ground on the left? 
  • T_C_E said:
    Last picture, different angle; Bottle and Cap factory at the bottom, Bridon Ropes Factory and Sports Ground in the middle and a magnificent football ground at the top. 

That would be Stones, the original training ground on the left? 
    The picture is "J. Stone and Company Limited Foundry and environs, New Charlton, 1947". Old school sports ground- rugby, football, cricket, tennis and bowls. Nowhere for the players to park though...

• Sponsored links:

• My grandad worked at the The United Glass bottle factory, or Charlton Glass Works as it was also called, but that was along a bit towards Woolwich, opposite where the White Horse is I think. Could still be linked though?

My recollection is that UGB (United Glass Bottle Works) was in Anchor & Hope Lane.  All demolished in 1968.

Here are some pictures from the Sainsbury archive.  The UGB tower makes location easy (quite visible in the second picture).  You can also see the Stone Manganese Marine Limited building in the background of the last picture.

• My mum worked at the factory it was originally the Kork N Seal Company and was acquired by United Glass Bottles in 1923.
  • My father in law worked at Cory's barge builders for many years. He talks about how his dad used to take him Charlton and that the team once upon a time trained down that way...
  • edited August 2020
    For years after the factory closed there was a UGB cricket team which continued on, playing as a wandering team, travelling around, giving a good account of itself and quite often beating its hosts, which is probably why it regularly got the games I guess.daft thing is, until now I always thought the ‘g’ stood for gas. 
  • Anchor and Hope features in this short doc about a flying squad case late 80's  - does anyone remember the incident? 

https://youtu.be/8v_QGw_yAwA