Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    How did it go @stop_shouting ?
    Course was in really good shape. Despite having lived in the area all my life, I’d only played it once before and that was last winter. I didn’t rate it but my opinion went up yesterday. Fairly forgiven course with 7 par 3’s I think. My game was off and hit a gross 95 with 27 points off 18. One of the guys I played with scored 42 points off 24. He generally sprayed it about but when he did, it was to adjacent fairways so he kept getting away with it. There was a drinks cart and we all had a few beers afterwards,  away from the clubhouse on some wooden garden furniture type set up. A good day all round.
  • Options
    Dizzle said:
    Played a twilight round at Park Wood in Tatsfield. First time playing at this course and I thought it was alright. Would play there again. Shot a 98. Driving was a little wild but improved massively on my approach shots, around the green and my putting. Quite pleased with 98 for a novice at a new course. 
    YOu beat my last score there @Dizzle and I’ve been playing for 30yrs!

I’m teeing off in an hour and it’s currently smashing it down :-(
    Blimey, that’s made me feel even better! 

How did you get on? Weather has been dreadful for it today
  • Options
    Not great. Virtually every round I’m playing I have a poor front 9 good back 9. Very frustrating. 

Clubhouses open next week though!
  • Options
    Not great. Virtually every round I’m playing I have a poor front 9 good back 9. Very frustrating. 

Clubhouses open next week though!
    You need to warm up before you go out. Spend some time in the nets before going to the first tee.
  • Options
    Cobtree in the rain was tough shot 108 had an a shocking front 9
  • Options
    Some very good new member deals available at Sidcup. Course has come on well during the lock down. They have a new General Manager starting next week who I know very well and is a huge Charlton fan. If quirky nine holes and decent beer is your thing you could do worse than have a look. 
  • Options
    Can’t wait for a few pints after Saturday morning’s round. First thing I’ve properly looked forward to in months
  • Options
    Can’t wait for a few pints after Saturday morning’s round. First thing I’ve properly looked forward to in months

Playing at 3pm on Saturday.   Getting a lift down there and then being picked up MUCH later.... oh a pint  … in a pint glass.... in the sunshine/overcast/drizzle/pissing rain

Don't care!

• Options
    Heading to Old Thorns Manor, Haslemere on Sunday. Looking forward to it. Never played there but heard good things.
  • Options
    First qualifying comp on Saturday since lockdown eased. Been scoring regularly in the high 70s which is steady for me. If I can keep the form going, avoid silly errors and the magic stick is hot who knows?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Monday's revisit to West Kent produced a 10 shot better round 92 happy but know I can produce better
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:
    Heading to Old Thorns Manor, Haslemere on Sunday. Looking forward to it. Never played there but heard good things.
    Lovely track, will be great this time of year,some really nice holes. Their signature hole is the par 4 5th(i think), lovely views right across Hampshire. Enjoy!
  • Options
    Really struggling at the moment. Think I have a case of the yips. Seems like an effort to take the club back when using an iron except wedges. Driver not a problem either, just irons. Mental!!!
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:
    Lovely track, will be great this time of year,some really nice holes. Their signature hole is the par 4 5th(i think), lovely views right across Hampshire. Enjoy!
    Echo that. Proper heath & heather course.
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:
    Be careful. If you’re average height, fashionably dressed and somewhat dashing, rumour has it the slopes of the pond there can be particularly hazardous for those individuals :-)

I walked off my round at the 9th tonight drowned to the bone. Drove home just in shorts. Can’t remember being so wet on a course. Still had my sun glasses on the 5th!
  • Options
    Playing Pedhams Sunday, should be interesting. Haven’t played Pedhams for a while.
  • Options
    Just got soaked playing a lullingstone..97 ..which is ok by my standards and bearing in mind the conditions 
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:
    Be careful. If you’re average height, fashionably dressed and somewhat dashing, rumour has it the slopes of the pond there can be particularly hazardous for those individuals :-)

I walked off my round at the 9th tonight drowned to the bone. Drove home just in shorts. Can’t remember being so wet on a course. Still had my sun glasses on the 5th!
    I've played a few rounds in the pouring rain. Coulple that I can remember.......First was Bridport in Dorset. 36 holes on a Sunday in March (I remember England lost to Scotland in a 5 Nations match that day). Second 18 was all in the rain - cliff top course & the rain was coming in sideways. Got back to the clubhouse after the sun had gone down to find it all locked up. Drove into town & found some public toilets & changed in there.

Second worst was a course in Warwickshire. Again finished in the dark & again clubhouse locked up. Changed in the driving range as it was all undercover & dry. 

The only good thing to come out of these episodes was that it taught us (me & playing partner) how to be prepared & how to change out of wet clothes in cramped spaces.....which came in handy after the infamous Yeovil game. That  day we got back to the car & changed into nice dry clothes for the drive home where I know lots of others had horrible car & train journeys home.
  • Options
    Three comps in the last two weeks.  Net 75, 76 and 73. Up 0.2 to 8.

The beer tasted lovely!! 
  • Options
    First qualifying comp on Saturday since lockdown eased. Been scoring regularly in the high 70s which is steady for me. If I can keep the form going, avoid silly errors and the magic stick is hot who knows?
    That went well - 24 points! Only 6 or 7 really bad shots but all in the wrong places. 30mph wind, found some very thick wet rough (links course) and unlucky with a few putts. Lost heart after finishing 1foot oob on the 11th.

In the words of LB ‘we move on’.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Played Pedham today, again like Dizzle wind made it extremely difficult. 40 points scored. 
  • Options
    Thought I'd review Old Thorns. Lovely track. In excellent condition. Its a thinkers course. You can't just bomb it. Only used the driver 3 times. Some of the views were great. You need a bit of luck to score well because you get blocked out by trees even if you're bang in the middle of the fairway. Really want to play it again. I felt I played well but walked off with 27 points. Funny old game.

• Options
    ChiAddick said:
    Thought I'd review Old Thorns. Lovely track. In excellent condition. Its a thinkers course. You can't just bomb it. Only used the driver 3 times. Some of the views were great. You need a bit of luck to score well because you get blocked out by trees even if you're bang in the middle of the fairway. Really want to play it again. I felt I played well but walked off with 27 points. Funny old game.

That looks TIGHT!!!  Never played it so fancy a round there.
  • Options
    Done a few overnighter two days golf at Old Thorns with the chaps and always had a good time. 
  • Options
    Looks a very interesting course might have to give it a go
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I've been quiet as I've been nursing injury again. Motorcycle crash this time.

Should be okay for Scotland in a couple of weeks, thought it'd be worth mentioning that a lot of Scottish courses have discounted rates to fill spots that would have been bought by Americans.

Royal Aberdeen £125
    Turnberry £200 deals available
    Leven & Lundin £50 each (got these 2 booked)
    The Old Course have been selling guaranteed rounds, no tour company or lottery needed - unheard of
    Nairn I'm told is under £100, it's usually £180
    Western Gailes near Troon has deals

Probably loads more about too, there'll never be a better summer to play in Scotland and you can tell the Mrs you're just doing your bit to help the economy.

PS Loganair fly from City to Dundee now (between Carnoustie & St Andrews), and include 15kg of baggage - no size limit. Easily enough weight for clubs + shoes.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Should be okay for Scotland in a couple of weeks, thought it'd be worth mentioning that a lot of Scottish courses have discounted rates to fill spots that would have been bought by Americans.

Royal Aberdeen £125
    The Old Course have been selling guaranteed rounds, no tour company or lottery needed - unheard of

Probably loads more about too, there'll never be a better summer to play in Scotland and you can tell the Mrs you're just doing your bit to help the economy.

PS Loganair fly from City to Dundee now (between Carnoustie & St Andrews), and include 15kg of baggage - no size limit. Easily enough weight for clubs + shoes.
    I would also look at some of the lesser known courses that are a doddle to get on & a lot cheaper. I'm terrible with names of courses I've played up there but there are a few around Dundee & a couple up near Aberdeen (Stonehaven being one of them). Then there is Montrose, Tain & Boat of Garten. There is one very close by Carnoustie which is a cracker and only about £20.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    RedPanda said:

Royal Aberdeen £125

I would also look at some of the lesser known courses that are a doddle to get on & a lot cheaper. I'm terrible with names of courses I've played up there but there are a few around Dundee & a couple up near Aberdeen (Stonehaven being one of them). Then there is Montrose, Tain & Boat of Garten. There is one very close by Carnoustie which is a cracker and only about £20.
    Absolutely. Even at the discounted rates the “big name” courses are taking the mickey. You can get a decent game if golfing or under £30 at any one of about 100 very good courses in Scotland. Unless you want to tick off one of the big names I’d avoid. 
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Royal Aberdeen £125

Playing Siloth on 11th September and then Turnberry Robert Bruce and Aisla on 12th and 13th!

Cannot wait!