Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Charlton Athletic Womens Team need your help to survive..........

edited June 2020 in General Charlton
Morning Charlton fans;

As a bit of background for those who do not know, the Womens Team is a completely separate entity and ownership to the mens club (CAFC) and has been for many years. The club is owned and funded by Stephen King along with the regular support of a minority shareholder but very little external help. The mens club do give a small amount of assistance and also allow the players/staff to use Sparrows Lane for training. But otherwise the funding comes from their own resources/sponsorship that they are able to obtain, together with paying punters through the turnstiles and peoples wider generosity.
With the promotion to the Championship at the end of last season running costs v income has opened up a big gap, even allowing for the funding the owner puts in it is in excess of £50,000 per season and COVID has really effected their income. As you will have seen, even at that level it has been hard for the team to compete in the division this year. The vast majority of the clubs playing in the Championship are owned by the mens club or receive substantial financial assistance from them (6 figure sums).
It has now got to the point where the very existence of our Womens team for next season and beyond is in dire jeopardy. A minimum additional sum of £50k is probably needed to survive and be able to play into next season (not helped by reducing income due to COVID), without that, they will likely fold completely as a club and have to give notice to the FA.
Therefore this is very much a cry for financial help. I appreciate it’s a difficult time for many people financially, but any amount, large or small, would really be appreciated.
There are many ways you can help, from a one off donation, a monthly amount or sponsorship of players, match, match ball, player of the match etc or any combination of those. Additionally if anyone has their own company and wishes to discuss taking out a greater sponsorship package please contact Steve Adamson to discuss further; Charlton.Women@cafc.co.uk
Donations, either one off or as a regular amount can be made here (you can manage the monthly amount via your own PayPal account) the link is also on the Womens website.
So please help if you can afford to and hopefully between us all and the owner we can keep the Women’s team going into next season and beyond.
Any questions let me know.
Thanks for listening;

Andy Buckland AKA Rob7Lee

Comments

• Pinned this for you mate
  • Cheers!
  • Set up a £10 monthly subscription, very easy to do!
  • Just a quick message to say thank you to everyone who has donated either monthly or a one off. For those who haven't done it please consider it as it helps out the women's team so much. 

The players play week in week out for the Charlton badge and the vast majority don't even have the cost of their petrol covered to come to training multiple nights a week. We always use the cheapest of coaches and hotels so all support is going towards the general operating of the women's team including meeting a lot of new FA criteria which comes into force this season. 

As Andy Buckland has put it we are sadly in the place where we either appeal to fans for support or we face closing the women's team down, a decision we don't want to do so all donations however small or big are really appreciated. If anyone has any questions please let me know but thank you all for your support 
  • Saw this yesterday on Twitter and set up a monthly payment. As @McBobbin said, very easy to do.
  • Donated! As a father of a daughter who played in college over here and still does in a womens league. Hope the team can be saved.
  • I would hope that Charlton Life will lead the way and help, just like it has done for the Upbeats. Gillingham have just disbanded their team we really don't want it to happen at Charlton for a second time.

I've set up a subscription and will sponsor a player. Next one please..........
  • Josh Oatham who is the Gills Womens manager has I think come up with something to save them (making them, like Charlton, an independent entity). He was of course assistant at Charlton for a while.

Thanks to all those who have supported so far, please give what you can, no amount is too small (or too large!)
  • What if you don't have paye pail?
  • £200 + vat to sponsor a player and get the shirt at the end of the season sounds like something CL posters could all chip in for
  • Sponsored links:

• Additionally, if you have any 'CAFC Cash' going spare, feel free to donate that (To the Women!)
  • seth plum said:
    What if you don't have paye pail?

I believe you can pay by card, via PayPal without having to open account. Or if you really don't like that, speak to Steve A who I suspect could give you the bank details for a transfer or standing order. (I have them from a few years back but best check they are current!)
  • I would like to contribute but would prefer to phone up my bank First Direct with the recipient details and tell them to do a one off lump sum payment.
  • You could send them a cheque Seth :-)
  • Good idea...if I can find my chequebook.
  • seth plum said:
    I would like to contribute but would prefer to phone up my bank First Direct with the recipient details and tell them to do a one off lump sum payment.
    sadamson84 can you help relieve seth of some cash? 
  • seth plum said:
    Good idea...if I can find my chequebook.
    Hi Seth

Thank you for this, if you can drop me an email steve.adamson@cafc.co.uk I can discuss the easiest way without Paypal?

Thank you all again for your donations, it's really appreciated and it will all help to save the club 
  • would it be an idea to approach current and past players from the mens' and past players from the women's teams for support?
  • Email sent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dave Rudd said:
    The gestures of support are noble and well-intentioned, but I'm wondering if much of this is merely plugging the leaks of a sinking ship.

While most would agree with the idea of a Charlton women's team, the sad truth is that there is just not enough interest or financial backing to support many teams operating at national level.

I ran a women's team in the late 1980's/early 1990's and we were entirely self-funded at the beginning.  Then we attracted commercial sponsorship and linked up with a local men's club … and this really was the secret to financial stability.

I'm not sure that things have changed too much in the intervening 30 years.  My feeling is that women's teams (Charlton included) really need to be affiliated and supported by the established men's club to survive and progress.  I think that's how it is with Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea etc ... isn't it? 

Not ideal timing for the Charlton women's team at the moment with our Club still in ownership turmoil, but direct affiliation (and hence financial support) has to be the eventual target surely?
    A team that can demonstrate backing from fans probably has more chance of attracting commercial interest and direct affiliation.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    The gestures of support are noble and well-intentioned, but I'm wondering if much of this is merely plugging the leaks of a sinking ship.

While most would agree with the idea of a Charlton women's team, the sad truth is that there is just not enough interest or financial backing to support many teams operating at national level.

I ran a women's team in the late 1980's/early 1990's and we were entirely self-funded at the beginning.  Then we attracted commercial sponsorship and linked up with a local men's club … and this really was the secret to financial stability.

I'm not sure that things have changed too much in the intervening 30 years.  My feeling is that women's teams (Charlton included) really need to be affiliated and supported by the established men's club to survive and progress.  I think that's how it is with Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea etc ... isn't it? 

Not ideal timing for the Charlton women's team at the moment with our Club still in ownership turmoil, but direct affiliation (and hence financial support) has to be the eventual target surely?
    A team that can demonstrate backing from fans probably has more chance of attracting commercial interest and direct affiliation.
    Agreed.  But it will also take a determined effort (and a strong case) from the women's team administrators to bring that to the attention of any potential sponsors and/or men's club.

It won't happen by itself.  No-one in men's football is actively looking around for a penniless women's team to adopt.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:

Agreed.  But it will also take a determined effort (and a strong case) from the women's team administrators to bring that to the attention of any potential sponsors and/or men's club.

It won't happen by itself.  No-one in men's football is actively looking around for a penniless women's team to adopt.
    What I know about any of this can be written on the back of a postage stamp and, in contrast, it sounds as if you have some specific knowledge Dave.

However, as an outsider looking in, it sounds like a number of steps may be required:

1) Steady the 'financial ship' for the immediate future (I assume this to be the point of this appeal)

2) IF (big IF) the Men's team ever get a sane, ethical Ownership (whisper it softly Varney and his backer) then the Women can perhaps negotiate affiliation with the Men once more.

3) Are the Women affiliated to the Community Trust? (The mere fact I even have to ask the question demonstrates my lack of knowledge around this subject). If not could there be benefits in becoming so or would that scupper a possible affiliation with the Men?

In short I assume the Women are trying to buy time.
  • LenGlover said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:

What I know about any of this can be written on the back of a postage stamp and, in contrast, it sounds as if you have some specific knowledge Dave.

However, as an outsider looking in, it sounds like a number of steps may be required:

1) Steady the 'financial ship' for the immediate future (I assume this to be the point of this appeal)

2) IF (big IF) the Men's team ever get a sane, ethical Ownership (whisper it softly Varney and his backer) then the Women can perhaps negotiate affiliation with the Men once more.

3) Are the Women affiliated to the Community Trust? (The mere fact I even have to ask the question demonstrates my lack of knowledge around this subject). If not could there be benefits in becoming so or would that scupper a possible affiliation with the Men?

That sounds like a good approach to me, Len.  Hopefully that's the kind of strategy that the women's team administrators are adopting.
  • LenGlover said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:

That would be the same Varney who was the CEO of the club when the last closed down the team (but addmitdly got intertwined with Community Trust after the club got a huge amount of bad press)

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/8564/womens-team-axed
  • Donated.
    In the hope the team plays next season.

• edited June 2020
    JohnnyH2 said:
    LenGlover said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:

That would be the same Varney who was the CEO of the club when the last closed down the team (but addmitdly got intertwined with Community Trust after the club got a huge amount of bad press)

The 'brand' (awful word I know sorry) of Women's football has become rather more universal over the intervening years. I think Women's sections are being seen increasingly as a positive asset to clubs rather than a bit of politically correct lipservice which was perhaps the perception by some previously.
  • JohnnyH2 said:

That link is an interesting read if for nothing else than there's a post by @Grapevine49 that is only 5 paragraphs long!
  • We need to keep :heart::heart::heart:Maddie Wright :heart::heart::heart:here and all of her super team mates of course, will make a donation on pay day.