Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ring Door Bell 3

Has anyone bought one of these door bells? Not fantastic reviews on Amazon. I was wondering whether they are secure, as in, are they being stolen? 

Comments

• If someone tells you a knock, knock joke, it’s fair to say it’s been nicked.
  • Solidgone said:
    Has anyone bought one of these door bells? Not fantastic reviews on Amazon. I was wondering whether they are secure, as in, are they being stolen? 
    They are good mate. 
    The doorbell is screwed into the frame provided. Need a strong WiFi connection but can get WiFi booster. App is easy to use. 
    Can shout at the delivery driver/postman if needed. 
  • Bought one, sent it back. More trouble than it was worth.
  • Have had one for a while - on the whole I'd say worthwhile and glad I bought.  It's a bit slow for interacting with people at the door so doesn't live up to all the hype in the ads.  Maybe version 3 is better.  But it has come in handy many, many times for all sorts of reasons.

One thing to look out for is that you can't store the videos up to anywhere other than their cloud and the subscription price goes up quite a bit if you want to add more devices.

As I understand it, if it's nicked they will replace it for free but haven't needed to test that.  I have other hard wired cameras up in front of my house, so that may have deterred anyone nicking it.  In some areas they've been giving them away for free.  It's the gillette razor model.
  • edited June 2020
    You can get cheap alternatives on Amazon. A neighbour paid £25 ish and loves it.
    They look identical.
  • Or, you can open the window and go, "Oi what do you want mate?"
  • I read the subject line and was expecting a film critique.

Ring Door Bell 1 and 2 were pretty good but I preferred The Postman Always Rings Twice.

*I'll get me coat
  • Had a ring pro since December.  Still in the fucking box as I can’t find a sparky that wants to install it for me.
  • muppetman said:
    Thanks @muppetman I think that’s made my mind up. I started looking at the cheaper versions and seem to tick the boxes but now wondering whether they are also used by a third party?
  • Sponsored links:

• Think I’ll swerve for now.
  • I don't mind mine... It looks at the driveway and people that press the door bell. 
  • I got laughed at when I said Amazon were using Alexa to listen and store info on its users, anyone who buys a ring doorbell needs to think again.
  • I got laughed at when I said Amazon were using Alexa to listen and store info on its users, anyone who buys a ring doorbell needs to think again.
    Why though ? 
  • I’ve got one and love it. It’s for our house on cape cod so not always there and can keep an eye out on who’s coming and going. Even tracked a coyote wandering thru our front yard
  • ct_addick said:
    I’ve got one and love it. It’s for our house on cape cod so not always there and can keep an eye out on who’s coming and going. Even tracked a coyote wandering thru our front yard
    We have the same problems here in Bedfordshire.
  • Knock knock

who's there ?

doorbell repair man.
    Why though ? 
    Well I only clicked on one of the links above however that expalined that Amazon store every action/incident & video when the door bell is used, hackers have gained access to the CCTV and used it to pry on children etc.

I watched a documentry on TV about Amazon a few monthes ago and it was mind blowing. They are hell bent on wanting to know what we do, where we go and at what time of the day so they can suggest items we may we wish to purchase.

Purchase history on the site is the obvious one however listening devices such as Alexa and now Ring just add to the survellance, forget big brother or MI5, Amazon know more about some of us/you than you would ever imagine.

Why though ? 
    Well I only clicked on one of the links above however that expalined that Amazon store every action/incident & video when the door bell is used, hackers have gained access to the CCTV and used it to pry on children etc.

I watched a documentry on TV about Amazon a few monthes ago and it was mind blowing. They are hell bent on wanting to know what we do, where we go and at what time of the day so they can suggest items we may we wish to purchase.

Purchase history on the site is the obvious one however listening devices such as Alexa and now Ring just add to the survellance, forget big brother or MI5, Amazon know more about some of us/you than you would ever imagine.

I do get that but knowing my spending patterns is no big deal to me. Obviously the hacking issue is creepy but not the sole purpose of Amazon. Security issues yes. My mobile phone allows my movements to be monitored. My debit card, loyalty cards and so on. CCTV in the street. Our lives are mapped to the finest degree. Why a doorbell should worry me particularly I’m not quite sure. Am I being very naive ?
    Why though ? 

Our data to these companies are worth millions. I've been doing the garden up and now non stop I'm getting adverts on Facebook for rattan furniture, artificial grass etc for the last month or 2.

My mrs ordered some of them mats for the bbq to cook on and now I'm getting them adverts too. Assuming because we are on the same wifi. Either that or the mics in our phone has picked up her telling me 'I've ordered some of them mats that go on the bbq' wouldnt surprise me.

I do have a ring doorbell & camera however and feel a little bit safer knowing if there was movement in my back garden at 2 in the morning my phone wakes me so I can have a little look at a lovely fox walking past.
  • Sponsored links:

• Had our Ring Pro doorbell for 3 years now.

Would I buy another? no.

Seems a great idea in theory but even with the bell maybe 5ft away from the router (on virgin, separate mesh network, 300mb line), it can take 30-45 seconds to acesss the doorbell from the app and the person ringing may have already gone.  Oh and the loudspeaker is absolutely shite.  If you live on a main road, there's sweet FA chance of door knocker hearing you. Oh and the physical bell ringing plug in thing you need to buy, absolute utter shite too.

For security? forget it.  Had two incidents of people trying our door handles in the middle of the night.  Despite with motion detection turned on with anyone /anything crossing the front of our drive, the bell didnt pick anything up.  But there, clear as day, caught bang to rights on our wired system.

Would not rely on a wifi powered CCTV system at all.  Having spoken to friends in the Met, there are wifi blockers being used now and we wouldnt be surprised if wifi blockers were being used night in question as our road neighbourhood watch group reported similar.

Have just invested in 8 Hikvision colourvu cameras and got 2 bollards going in the driveway to protect our cars as 4 have been pinched in our road in last 6 months.

Hope that puts your mind at rest.
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Had our Ring Pro doorbell for 3 years now.

Would I buy another? no.

Seems a great idea in theory but even with the bell maybe 5ft away from the router (on virgin, separate mesh network, 300mb line), it can take 30-45 seconds to acesss the doorbell from the app and the person ringing may have already gone.  Oh and the loudspeaker is absolutely shite.  If you live on a main road, there's sweet FA chance of door knocker hearing you. Oh and the physical bell ringing plug in thing you need to buy, absolute utter shite too.

For security? forget it.  Had two incidents of people trying our door handles in the middle of the night.  Despite with motion detection turned on with anyone /anything crossing the front of our drive, the bell didnt pick anything up.  But there, clear as day, caught bang to rights on our wired system.

Would not rely on a wifi powered CCTV system at all.  Having spoken to friends in the Met, there are wifi blockers being used now and we wouldnt be surprised if wifi blockers were being used night in question as our road neighbourhood watch group reported similar.

Have just invested in 8 Hikvision colourvu cameras and got 2 bollards going in the driveway to protect our cars as 4 have been pinched in our road in last 6 months.

We had Hikvision cctv installed and while it was ok, it needed upgrading so I switched the hard drive to Swann 4K and changed the cameras individually. I find Swann more friendly to technophobes like me which is a bonus. Nothing I see with the Ring door bell competes with all round CCTV. 
    Why though ? 

I do get that but knowing my spending patterns is no big deal to me. Obviously the hacking issue is creepy but not the sole purpose of Amazon. Security issues yes. My mobile phone allows my movements to be monitored. My debit card, loyalty cards and so on. CCTV in the street. Our lives are mapped to the finest degree. Why a doorbell should worry me particularly I’m not quite sure. Am I being very naive ?
    It goes deeper than spending patterns, Amazon have been caught using the CCTV on the door bell to look at the street, imagine if we all had one, Amazon could look on every corner. Ask yourself, If Amazon contacted you and asked if they could mount a CCTV camera on your house to veiw the street I suspect the answer would be "no". Well by buying a Ring doorbell you are doing just that and paying them.

A Police authority went into partnership with Amazon to provide Ring doorbells free, the story was it was for security purposes. It turns out after an investigation the real reason was the police wanted Amazon to patrol the streets with the doorbell so they cut back on the number of officers they employed.

The programme I watched said that they have so much info on us now due to these devices they reckon it wont be long before they can tell who we would vote for in general and local elections. The data Amazon hold could be worth millions to certain people or companies.  
    Why though ? 

It goes deeper than spending patterns, Amazon have been caught using the CCTV on the door bell to look at the street, imagine if we all had one, Amazon could look on every corner. Ask yourself, If Amazon contacted you and asked if they could mount a CCTV camera on your house to veiw the street I suspect the answer would be "no". Well by buying a Ring doorbell you are doing just that and paying them.

A Police authority went into partnership with Amazon to provide Ring doorbells free, the story was it was for security purposes. It turns out after an investigation the real reason was the police wanted Amazon to patrol the streets with the doorbell so they cut back on the number of officers they employed.

The programme I watched said that they have so much info on us now due to these devices they reckon it wont be long before they can tell who we would vote for in general and local elections. The data Amazon hold could be worth millions to certain people or companies.  
    Again I accept I’m being naive here but wouldn’t it be a good idea if your street was protected by cctv ? I can ask it’s effectiveness and who would monitor it and that cost would be and to whom ? As for knowing who I would vote for. That’s probably for me already known as a paid up member of The Labour Party. I have no problem anyone knowing that. If I’m targeted by advertising I can cope. 
  • T_C_E said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Had our Ring Pro doorbell for 3 years now.

Would I buy another? no.

We had Hikvision cctv installed and while it was ok, it needed upgrading so I switched the hard drive to Swann 4K and changed the cameras individually. I find Swann more friendly to technophobes like me which is a bonus. Nothing I see with the Ring door bell competes with all round CCTV. 
    We've only just done ours.  We've gone top spec NVR rather than DVR.  Runs comfortably at 4k 30fps and got colour footage at night as opposed to b&w/greyscale with next to no ambient light in the garden once lights are out and the street lights give plenty of ambient without switching the camera spots on.  Very pleased with it.  Helps knowing someone who installs them so you pay trade price as opposed to the RRP.
  • Not sure why so many people have issues with the wifi on these Ring, my cameras and doorbell work fine, furthest away is maybe 70ft from the router behind the garage (so a few walls to go through, house and garage).

Maybe people need to look at their wifi and mesh etc.

I agree Ring it's not the same as a complete CCTV solution. However having experienced 'crime' I much prefer the fact i'm warned when anyone is within a certain distance of my home, so make sure you get CCTV that does that.

CCTV itself doesn't deter the thief, they just cover their faces, follow some of the car crime pages on facebook, so many have video of the cars disappearing, but not a lot of use when they wear balaclavas and you wake up in the morning, car gone, check video and it went 5 hours ago!
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Not sure why so many people have issues with the wifi on these Ring, my cameras and doorbell work fine, furthest away is maybe 70ft from the router behind the garage (so a few walls to go through, house and garage).

Maybe people need to look at their wifi and mesh etc.

I agree Ring it's not the same as a complete CCTV solution. However having experienced 'crime' I much prefer the fact i'm warned when anyone is within a certain distance of my home, so make sure you get CCTV that does that.

CCTV itself doesn't deter the thief, they just cover their faces, follow some of the car crime pages on facebook, so many have video of the cars disappearing, but not a lot of use when they wear balaclavas and you wake up in the morning, car gone, check video and it went 5 hours ago!
    Agree. I dont have any problem with mine either. The second my doorbell or camera picks me up it buzzes my phone.