Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

May Day quiz question

Two Charlton players have represented Finland internationally. One of them is not Antti Niemi as he never played for the first team. So who are they?

Comments

• JJ and Carl Jenkinson? 
  • Did Mark Fish play for FIN-land? Cue, the fish puns.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    JJ and Carl Jenkinson? 
    I thought Jenkinson opted for England in the end?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    JJ and Carl Jenkinson? 
    I thought Jenkinson opted for England in the end?
    Just realised it doesn’t say anything about what level, CJ definitely represented them @ U19/U21
  • Didn't sibelius score for us..? Liked a drink....
  • Wasn't there a kid who came over from MyPa?

Was a Centre-Back, never played for the first team, yet this just reminded me of him
  • By my reckoning, it was indeed Jonathan Johansson and Carl Jenkinson. Interesting that neither of them were born in Finland (Stockholm and Harlow respectively) and both born into Finnish-Swedish families where the mother tongue is Swedish rather than Finnish. 
  • By my reckoning, it was indeed Jonathan Johansson and Carl Jenkinson. Interesting that neither of them were born in Finland (Stockholm and Harlow respectively) and both born into Finnish-Swedish families where the mother tongue is Swedish rather than Finnish. 
    Don't I get a like for that ha ha 
  • Wasn't there a kid who came over from MyPa?

Was a Centre-Back, never played for the first team, yet this just reminded me of him
    Jani Tanska.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jani_Tanska
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    By my reckoning, it was indeed Jonathan Johansson and Carl Jenkinson. Interesting that neither of them were born in Finland (Stockholm and Harlow respectively) and both born into Finnish-Swedish families where the mother tongue is Swedish rather than Finnish. 
    Don't I get a like for that ha ha 
    Sorry. Very remiss....
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Wasn't there a kid who came over from MyPa?

Jani Tanska.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jani_Tanska
    Good shout!
  • Carl Jenkinson has an England cap (won 8 years ago). Wonder how many he’d have for Finland now if he chose them?
    Is Jenkinson’s mother tongue Swedish? Knew there was some familial connection but didn’t know it was that close.
  • Putting together a Charlton quiz. Who is the defender we signed who barely if at all played, much quoted with Shergar?
  • Putting together a Charlton quiz. Who is the defender we signed who barely if at all played, much quoted with Shergar?
    Cory Gibbs,?
  • JJ - not the singer.
  • The Antti Niemi thing on Talksport is truly classic. Got me thinking as Niemi was first choice keeper for Finland even when he was with us. So for Part 2 of the quiz - has any Charlton player played for their national team without making appearance for the Addicks?
  • Sponsored links:

• The Antti Niemi thing on Talksport is truly classic. Got me thinking as Niemi was first choice keeper for Finland even when he was with us. So for Part 2 of the quiz - has any Charlton player played for their national team without making appearance for the Addicks?
    This suggests that Cory Gibbs might have played for the USA in March 2006 before officially leaving us that summer;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cory_Gibbs

Gibbs played only 45 minutes all season for Charlton's reserves following surgery to repair cartilage in his knee. Gibbs returned to international football when he was selected by Bob Bradley for the United States' March 26 match against Poland.”

Karim Bagheri didnt start a game for the Addicks whilst playing a few times for his National Team
  • edited May 2020
    The Antti Niemi thing on Talksport is truly classic. Got me thinking as Niemi was first choice keeper for Finland even when he was with us. So for Part 2 of the quiz - has any Charlton player played for their national team without making appearance for the Addicks?
    Karim Bagheri didnt start a game for the Addicks whilst playing a few times for his National Team
    Bagheri. Not a starter but who was they guy I saw come on as sub at Portman Road and make several decent touches including a dangerous clearance down the line?

50 goals in 87 international games as a defensive midfielder. We missed a trick. Subject of my groups Charlton quiz on Wednesday.
  • edited May 2020
    The Antti Niemi thing on Talksport is truly classic. Got me thinking as Niemi was first choice keeper for Finland even when he was with us. So for Part 2 of the quiz - has any Charlton player played for their national team without making appearance for the Addicks?
    So who was they guy I saw come on as sub at Portman Road and make several decent touches including a dangerous clearance down the line?

50 goals in 87 international games as a defensive midfielder. We missed a trick. Subject of my groups Charlton quiz on Wednesday.
    Effectively he joined at the wrong time as seem to think that the FIFA windows for games weren't as set in stone as they are now

i.e. The AFC because they had so many teams would constantly have International games on meaning that Karim was constantly playing more for Iran than us, never truly having enough time to recover from the travel
    Cory Gibbs,?
    Another fun fact, Cory Gibbs is Ivy League educated. He graduated from Brown, a very prestigious university. 
  • Rhys Browne was close he made his international debut on 10th June 2015, but left us in May 2015 
  • Best I could find was numerous players who had played for the countries at youth level whilst with us and never managed s first team game

Mikkel Rygaard played for us between 2007-2009 and during that time played for Denmark at Under 18, Under 19 and Under 20 level

Martin Christensen played for us between 2007-2009 and during that time played for Denmark Under 21s

Rurik Gislason played for us between 2005-2007 and during that time played for Iceland Under 19s and Under 21s

Goncalo Brandao played for us between 2005-2006 and during that time played for Portugal Under 19s
  • Omar Pouso is another Karim Bagheri and would have been an answer but for 1 single appearance for us
  • Omar Pouso is another Karim Bagheri and would have been an answer but for 1 single appearance for us
    Yes... Sadly so!!
  • SDAddick said:
    Putting together a Charlton quiz. Who is the defender we signed who barely if at all played, much quoted with Shergar?
    Cory Gibbs,?
    Another fun fact, Cory Gibbs is Ivy League educated. He graduated from Brown, a very prestigious university. 
    Just read on wikipedia he's married to one of the members of brit girl band Mis-Teeq 

How random