Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Colchester to release 4 players

Wasnt sure what thread to put this on so started this one.

With Luton sacking their manager to save money and now Colchester have announced they are going to be forced to let 4 players go they wanted to keep.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52445132?at_campaign=64&at_custom2=twitter&at_custom3=Regional+BBC+East&at_medium=custom7&at_custom1=link&at_custom4=2384A5F0-888E-11EA-B742-159F4744363C

Premier League clubs wont feel this as much, but lower down will, this is just the start of the financial issues for football clubs.

In 6 months time there will not be 92 football league teams, a couple will disappear altogether like Bury and more than a handful will be in administration 

Comments

• Wasnt sure what thread to put this on so started this one.

With Luton sacking their manager to save money and now Colchester have announced they are going to be forced to let 4 players go they wanted to keep.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52445132?at_campaign=64&at_custom2=twitter&at_custom3=Regional+BBC+East&at_medium=custom7&at_custom1=link&at_custom4=2384A5F0-888E-11EA-B742-159F4744363C

Premier League clubs wont feel this as much, but lower down will, this is just the start of the financial issues for football clubs.

In 6 months time there will not be 92 football league teams, a couple will disappear altogether like Bury and more than a handful will be in administration 
    How many teams do you think there will be, Paulie?
  • Think the virus is being used as an excuse here for Colchester and Luton.
  • iaitch said:
    One of those players is Frank Nouble who had a highly successful period with us a few years ago
    Sarcasm = wit, lowest form of.
  • Chizz said:

Less than 92

I don't know each clubs finances, but i think its clear that with no money coming in, clubs will struggle.

But no I cant put a number on it
  • Give it a year or two and am sure the League clubs that go out of business will simply be replaced by Non-League teams doing a Salford City etc.

I've always felt that Football will one day implode

Now I'm not so sure, it has to happen on an epic scale, at the moment I think those that disappear will simply be replaced by other money teams
  • edited April 2020
    iaitch said:
    One of those players is Frank Nouble who had a highly successful period with us a few years ago
    The way things are looking he might be Taylor’s replacement.
  • iaitch said:
    I really want to LOL this ........ but as we all know, many a true word said in jest.

• Oggy Red said:
    iaitch said:
    I really want to LOL this ........ but as we all know, many a true word said in jest.

Save the laughing for Nouble’s first attempt on goal.
  • any business facing an uncertain future and in financial trouble will cut costs .. for pro football clubs, players' salaries are certainly the most expensive outlay .. pro footballers are just members of staff and no different to the hundreds of people who have been and will be laid off by all kinds of businesses, they deserve no more sympathy than any other laid off worker
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2020
    Nouble made Parker look like Di Canio, Bent and Bartlett rolled into one. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Think the virus is being used as an excuse here for Colchester and Luton.
    An excuse for what though? They have little to no money coming in. I fear that at some point before too long we're going to forget who the first club to let players go was, because they're all going to have to do it. 
  • Nouble is a textbook example of a journeyman player

Only 28, but including loans has played for 15 clubs already including 2 in China, one of which was in Inner Mongolia!
  • SDAddick said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Think the virus is being used as an excuse here for Colchester and Luton.
    An excuse for what though? They have little to no money coming in. I fear that at some point before too long we're going to forget who the first club to let players go was, because they're all going to have to do it. 
    Agree

The Chairman Robbie Cowling is a good guy.- not that I know him...

I know a player very well at Colchester who quoted this to me, just 2 days ago.

He is trying to save the club @Dazzler21

Very easy to criticise- they are in the shite in this situation with Lockdown and no revenue.

Many football clubs do not need an “excuse” at this time, unfortunately...

More clubs will follow suit with Colchester, no doubt whatsoever.
  • It's a perfect time to offload deadwood without criticism. It's an excuse, doesn't mean it's not valid. An excuse is simply a reason to exclude someone from blame.

The Luton one is definitely a poor excuse... Really cannot see any valid reason to sack him because of Covid. Players and other staff, sure they make sense but not the manager 
  • Are they actually releasing players - which I think they can’t legally do? Most of the articles phrase it like that, but one does say they will be released from their contracts at the end of June. So are they just going to be out of contract, and won’t be offered new ones?

I’m not sure you can just release a player. It has to be mutual consent, and presumably a payout. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    It's a perfect time to offload deadwood without criticism. It's an excuse, doesn't mean it's not valid. An excuse is simply a reason to exclude someone from blame.

The Luton one is definitely a poor excuse... Really cannot see any valid reason to sack him because of Covid. Players and other staff, sure they make sense but not the manager 
    But thats not what Colchester are doing.

Comley has played in 24 out of 37 league games 
    Jackson has played in 34 out of 37 league games
    Prosser has played in 35 out of 37 league games
    Nouble has played in 36 out of 37 league games

This isnt getting rid of rubbish players they dont need, this is them losing 4 first team players that they would have been keen to hold onto, 4th players that have helped them get to 6th in League 2
    Fair enough.
  • Are they actually releasing players - which I think they can’t legally do? Most of the articles phrase it like that, but one does say they will be released from their contracts at the end of June. So are they just going to be out of contract, and won’t be offered new ones?

I’m not sure you can just release a player. It has to be mutual consent, and presumably a payout. 
    I read it more as the fact they will be releasing them at the end of June when under normal circumstances they would be offering them all a new contract. As you say they are under contract so can’t just be disposed of. However, he does say it will give them a head start on finding a new club which sort of contradicts that.
  • Chizz said:

Less than 92

I don't know each clubs finances, but i think its clear that with no money coming in, clubs will struggle.

But no I cant put a number on it

Perfect answer to a pointless question.
  • Sponsored links:

• Callum Harriott must have signed up for more than a year then. I would expect him to be a higher earner if that is the criteria at work here.
  • On talks port Jordan estimated 60% of league one and two clubs would go to the wall if next season is played behind closed doors. 
  • edited April 2020
    On talks port Jordan estimated 60% of league one and two clubs would go to the wall if next season is played behind closed doors. 
    So if matches have to be played behind closed doors, surely the Government would wave the 3pm Saturday kickoff blackout (which, let's be honest, is going to go away at some point anyway) so that teams could stream all of their matches. And presumably that would lead to a big increase in streaming revenue (weather it's through the club's own site, or a third-party). I wonder if these kinds of considerations take that into account (let me know if you know). Very worrying if they do, because I still think that's a potential revenue stream a lot of people aren't considering.

That said, I remain more worried about next season starting in any sort of timely manner and being able to finish right now. 
  • edited April 2020
    SDAddick said:
    On talks port Jordan estimated 60% of league one and two clubs would go to the wall if next season is played behind closed doors. 
    So if matches have to be played behind closed doors, surely the Government would wave the 3pm Saturday kickoff blackout (which, let's be honest, is going to go away at some point anyway) so that teams could stream all of their matches. And presumably that would lead to a big increase in streaming revenue (weather it's through the club's own site, or a third-party). I wonder if these kinds of considerations take that into account (let me know if you know). Very worrying if they do, because I still think that's a potential revenue stream a lot of people aren't considering.

That said, I remain more worried about next season starting in any sort of timely manner and being able to finish right now. 
    I think I read the 3pm rule has been lifted by EUFA for the crisis!
    I did!
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52161561
  • Surely just dont play games at 3pm if they are played behind closed doors

Its the one time that they dont really have to think about fans
  • Surely just dont play games at 3pm if they are played behind closed doors

Its the one time that they dont really have to think about fans
    Yeah sorry I wasn't aware that they'd lifted the ban. Hopefully you all get the larger point I was trying to make about streaming revenues and such. 
  • The Premier League clubs are desperate to resume playing even behind closed doors, for simple financial reasons. The majority of the EFL have the opposite view, without crowds and going back to "normal" business would be a financial catastrophe for most clubs. They would have to repay season ticket money, have no gate receipts and have to pay all their staff fully once more. But I bet the FA and the FA will be bullied by the gravy train into a full return of football.

The government is too scared to ban sporting events as they don't want to look draconian, something other European countries have already done. 
  • SDAddick said:

Streaming might become a good revenue source for prem clubs, but don't believe it would be lower down the scale. How many do you realistically think would stream Charlton? How much would you charge? You would also lose hospitality, sponsorship and much more 
  • redman said:
    SDAddick said:

Streaming might become a good revenue source for prem clubs, but don't believe it would be lower down the scale. How many do you realistically think would stream Charlton? How much would you charge? You would also lose hospitality, sponsorship and much more 
    I reckon it will be roughly the same as current attendances. You might lose revenue where a family of four might attend a game but only pay one streaming fee but the upside is that more away supporters will pay.

people who can’t attend games due to family or work commitments might have more time to watch

if the stream was through the club web site, maybe £10? I would probably still buy a season ticket in return for free streaming until stadiums reopen.