Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Escape from Alcatraz

So I dont normally watch older movies but this started last night whilst I was doing something and I left it on and planned to switch it off, I really got into it and have to say it was a fantastic movie, I have now spent the last hour reading up on the escape and the aftermath

So what is everyone's opinion on here did they make it out alive or as the Warden said did they drown.

IMO there is no way they wouldn't have found at least 1 of the 3 bodies, the items they found like the pictures I think they left to be found to make it seem like they had drowned but I think they made it and enjoyed the rest of their lives and who knows maybe are still around today

Comments

• I think the authorities were too embarrassed to admit the truth.
  • Brown bread.

What do you consider an 'old movie'?
    I know someone who wont watch either a black and white film or those with subs.
  • PopIcon said:
    Brown bread.

I know someone like that, too.  As to what's an old movie, anything from before the '80s.
  • As a teacher of English my Mrs loves old black and white movies for the way English was spoken.
  • if they had made it, at some point they would have been discovered. The number of people involved in maintaining their anonymity would eventually lead to someone dropping the ball.

a bit like Hitler and Argentina.
  • I watched a programme a few years ago where the conclusion that one died early and the brothers threw the other guy in to aid their escape. They went to the mafia for help who killed them as the fbi hunting them down could affect mafia activities.
  • PopIcon said:
    Brown bread.

I know someone who wont watch either a black and white film or those with Subs.
    Surely not our Uboat?
  • I believe they made it. And Alcatraz is a great place to visit! 
  • Sponsored links:

• I believe they made it. And Alcatraz is a great place to visit!

Yes a must do when in San Francisco 
  • Sure I've read online that the two brothers survived and fled overseas. Lived relatively long lives. One of them proposed a deal to the authorities many years later and sent a photo as proof. The authorities deliberated for to long and the guy was never heard from again.
  • Wonder if @Bedsaddick will do an isolation film watch
    Excellent idea. 

As for the film, it’s superb. Personally, one of my favourite Eastwood films. 

• So I dont normally watch older movies but this started last night whilst I was doing something and I left it on and planned to switch it off, I really got into it and have to say it was a fantastic movie, I have now spent the last hour reading up on the escape and the aftermath

So what is everyone's opinion on here did they make it out alive or as the Warden said did they drown.

IMO there is no way they wouldn't have found at least 1 of the 3 bodies, the items they found like the pictures I think they left to be found to make it seem like they had drowned but I think they made it and enjoyed the rest of their lives and who knows maybe are still around today
    Apparently they eventually find 2 of every 3 bodies that end up in the Bay through various accidents and suicides.

So that points towards them having made it.

• PopIcon said:
    Brown bread.

I know someone like that, too.  As to what's an old movie, anything from before the '80s.
    Anyone who claims to love film, but wont watch anything in black and white or subtitled is a fool.
    The BBC aired a lot Ealing Studio stuff last year, was an absolute delight.
  • Great film. Surprised you've never seen it. Very unlikely they made it.  The currents to Angel Island were too strong. 
  • Wonder if @Bedsaddick will do an isolation film watch
    Excellent idea. 

As for the film, it’s superb. Personally, one of my favourite Eastwood films. 

If the railway shuts down and I don’t have to go to work then I’ll do it ! That’s a distinct possibility 
  • as a 70 year old, I am expecting to be sent to Alcatraz VERY soon ((:>)
    Boston?
  • I love the film (and it's worth looking at the new Daniel Radcliffe movie, Escape from Pretoria which is all-but a remake, both thematically and stylistically and also based on a true story). Siegel's movie takes some liberties to tell a more filmic story - there were two or three wardens over that period for instance, and no flower was found. 

On the Alcatraz tour, the guides all say they believe the three perished at sea. The main reason I think that's probably true is that, by now, someone would have blabbed. To keep that secret for life would have been impossible, and now that they are probably dead, you'd think there's be someone able to confirm it. 

Still, there are bits and bobs that imply they made it (a car being stolen near the shore, stuff like that) which is what I want to believe. 
  • Sponsored links:

• So I dont normally watch older movies but this started last night whilst I was doing something and I left it on and planned to switch it off, I really got into it and have to say it was a fantastic movie, I have now spent the last hour reading up on the escape and the aftermath

As well as possibly drowning it has also been suggested they could have been eaten by sharks!!! There is a film on YouTube of a great white attacking a seal in the waters right next to Alcatraz from a few years ago. 
  • Watched for the first time yesterday after recording it Saturday, great film.
  • If you're after old prison dramas Paulie, I recommend Papillon (the 1973 version with Steve McQueen), Midnight Express and Scum. 

For the latter in particular, my general advice is to watch it in the daytime and have a lighthearted romcom on hand to watch afterwards, as it's quite a hard watch, although you do get some handy tips on how to batter someone using snooker balls in a sock, and you can look out for actors at the start of their careers - Ray Winstone (the main character) and, off the top of my head, Dave Quinnan from The Bill and Mickey Pearce from OFAH amongst others.
  • Fast forward the green house scene though
  • McVicar as well.
  • Stir Crazy
  • Yep, watched it for the first time too & loved it.
    Eastwood used to give me the creeps as a kid (no idea why, same as that Stupot bloke from Crackerjack) so I’ve never watched a movie of his until the other night.
    Big mistake as it was Every which way but loose. What a pile of shit that was 😳
    But loved EfA.

We have a Film Friday here in the village during the winter. A local restaurant puts up a projector & we have a bowl of nosebag & a film for €12. Been some great films. A few subtitled ones I would never have seen otherwise. One made in South America had villains & goats! A double whammy for us 🤣 Last weeks was Peter Sellers last one Been There (I think that’s what it was called). Had a very gorgeous Shirley McLean in it.
  • Yep, watched it for the first time too & loved it.
    Eastwood used to give me the creeps as a kid (no idea why, same as that Stupot bloke from Crackerjack) so I’ve never watched a movie of his until the other night.
    Big mistake as it was Every which way but loose. What a pile of shit that was 😳
    But loved EfA.

We have a Film Friday here in the village during the winter. A local restaurant puts up a projector & we have a bowl of nosebag & a film for €12. Been some great films. A few subtitled ones I would never have seen otherwise. One made in South America had villains & goats! A double whammy for us 🤣 Last weeks was Peter Sellers last one Been There (I think that’s what it was called). Had a very gorgeous Shirley McLean in it.
    Being There. Good film.