Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What has happened to Diego Poyet?

Comments

• Options
    How quick his decline was is the most baffling thing. Our POTY in may 2014 then not getting into the Huddersfield team in end of 2014 and then MK Dons team in 2015.
  • Options
    He’s a body builder now according to Sols.

Such a waste of talent who seems to have completely lost any real desire to make it in the game. Sometimes making a living is the motivation, there’s no need for that with him. Sometimes due to previous success of a relative, especially a father, they’re not totally in love with the game to make a right go of their own career. Probably a lot of factors come into it, but sometimes no matter how talented someone may well be, they just aren’t cut out for what the professional game requires.
  • Options
    Poyet was amazing in that team under Riga- clearly lost his way mentally 
  • Options
    It feels weird because it doesn't usually happen in football, but Diego's someone who has the talent but not the drive and has completely lost interest. We probably all know someone who could have really been something if they'd applied themselves but couldn't be bothered and ultimately ended up not meeting half of their potential out in the real world. Seems like Diego was pretty well marshaled when he was in the controlled environment of the academy but as soon as he was out on his own as an adult he was unable to apply himself and didn't fancy it anymore. He's basically a rich kid who can do whatever he wants in life, and he's decided he doesn't want that to be football anymore. It's a shame but I doubt he'll lose too much sleep over it in the end.
  • Options
    Perhaps he lost the desire to succeed once he hit the jackpot financially.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    He’s a body builder now according to Sols.

Such a waste of talent who seems to have completely lost any real desire to make it in the game. Sometimes making a living is the motivation, there’s no need for that with him. Sometimes due to previous success of a relative, especially a father, they’re not totally in love with the game to make a right go of their own career. Probably a lot of factors come into it, but sometimes no matter how talented someone may well be, they just aren’t cut out for what the professional game requires.
    He goes to the gym that I go to. Although I haven’t been there long and haven’t actually spoken to him. He is certainly in very good shape! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Poyet's story only serves to confirm that once ability takes a sportsman to a certain level, it is the mental side that dictates whether they will be successful. When self doubt, over thinking the situation and a lack of playing instinctively takes over, everything becomes a trial and the inclination is to go for safety or even to go missing.
    Completely agree. I've always had the opinion that between most professional players there's not a huge difference in ability and it's mostly the mental side of things that separates the poor from the really good. Sure there are exceptions if we go to world class and generational talents but it would explain why a number of players are able to play through every league up to the prem. We've seen plenty of cases ourselves where a player is shite for us and looks unstoppable elsewhere. 
  • Options
    Perhaps he lost the desire to succeed once he hit the jackpot financially.

Yes - this explains a lot actually.

I saw an interview with Jamie O'Hara who said that once he got his big contract with Wolves he lost his desire and became fat and happy basically.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Poyet completed his full contract. 
    As did Simon Church. 

No one shed a tear when the club kicked Church out at the end of his completed contract, yet people were apoplectic with rage when Poyet did the same to the club. 
    It's a bit different when the club have trained you from a young age and given you the platform to earn the big move. Other young players have moved on to better things with a bit more class.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    As did Simon Church. 

No one shed a tear when the club kicked Church out at the end of his completed contract, yet people were apoplectic with rage when Poyet did the same to the club. 
    It's a bit different when the club have trained you from a young age and given you the platform to earn the big move. Other young players have moved on to better things with a bit more class.
    So who did we get more stitched up for moving on , Poyet at whatever was his development/compensation  fee or Gomez with his £3.5m sell on clause .
    Who got the better value Liverpool,  West Ham or Charlton 
  • Options
    It feels weird because it doesn't usually happen in football, but Diego's someone who has the talent but not the drive and has completely lost interest. We probably all know someone who could have really been something if they'd applied themselves but couldn't be bothered and ultimately ended up not meeting half of their potential out in the real world. Seems like Diego was pretty well marshaled when he was in the controlled environment of the academy but as soon as he was out on his own as an adult he was unable to apply himself and didn't fancy it anymore. He's basically a rich kid who can do whatever he wants in life, and he's decided he doesn't want that to be football anymore. It's a shame but I doubt he'll lose too much sleep over it in the end.
    Happens all the time.

Players with talent, but not the application and desire. Ravel Morrison, Francis Jeffers, Billy Kenny, Lee Sharpe.

Adam Morgan was touted as better than Fowler and Owen coming through the youth ranks at Liverpool, 6 years after scoring for them in a Europa league game he's playing for Romford.

Someone like Adriano, one of the best players in the world at Inter in his early 20s, was out of the game within a few years as he focused more on partying than football.

David Bentley, playing for Spurs and England at the age of 24. He'd retired by the time he was 29.
  • Options
    Slightly different level, but Sanchez moving from Arsenal to Man U, Torres from Liverpool to Chelsea, Woodgate from Newcastle to Real Madrid,  Coutinho from Liverpool to Barcelona, Andy Carroll from Newcastle to Liverpool.  The game is littered with players who star at their clubs only to flop when they move. 

In common with Poyet they all moved because the grass was deemed to be greener on the other side.  In common with Poyet they all ended up as flops.  In common with Poyet they moved for money and ambition?.  The major difference is that Poyet's move was ultimately career ending ... oh (nearly forgot) and Sanchez is still picking up 350 grand a week. 

Some players are suited to certain clubs and struggle to transfer their skills.

• Options
    Happens all the time.

Players with talent, but not the application and desire. Ravel Morrison, Francis Jeffers, Billy Kenny, Lee Sharpe.

Adam Morgan was touted as better than Fowler and Owen coming through the youth ranks at Liverpool, 6 years after scoring for them in a Europa league game he's playing for Romford.

Someone like Adriano, one of the best players in the world at Inter in his early 20s, was out of the game within a few years as he focused more on partying than football.

David Bentley, playing for Spurs and England at the age of 24. He'd retired by the time he was 29.
    Adriano's dad died and he never got over it. He was his motivation for playing. He quickly turned to drinking and was never the same on the pitch. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There was also that guy at Man City - Michael Johnson I think - that was seemingly destined for great things, only to fade away and was working as an Estate Agent by his mid 20's I think.
  • Options
    It's not like he turned up at 17 and was put in the 1st team because he was quite good. 

He must have spent the last 3 or 4 years really busting his balls off.  Yes he might of had peers who had to make it to escape poverty and take care of thier families but he would been under a lot of pressure because of his name.  It would have been easy to walk away at 15.

I have no issue with him wasting a talent that most of us would give anything to have.  There must be 100s of kids who leave the game at 15 or 16 that have the talent.  The work he must have put in in his teens must have been immense.  

To walk away from football at 22 having played less than 70 games is strange, the fact that he doesn't play football at all is almost bizarre.  I can't think of another player that has ever played at such a high level at 18 be finished so young, with out a serious physical injury. 

• Options
    The funny thing about fans, is that they all assume players all love the game as much as they do.

In my experience nothing could be further from the truth, some of them see football as job - nothing more, nothing less.

Rory Allen walked out of Pompey to follow an Ashes tour around Ozzie, and I can tell you for a fact that he found the day to day life of a footballer positively draining on his mental health.

David Batty isn't a big football fan, and I think you'd find that Graham Stuart would much rather talk about speedway than footie.
  • Options
    The funny thing about fans, is that they all assume players all love the game as much as they do.

In my experience nothing could be further from the truth, some of them see football as job - nothing more, nothing less.

Rory Allen walked out of Pompey to follow an Ashes tour around Ozzie, and I can tell you for a fact that he found the day to day life of a footballer positively draining on his mental health.

David Batty isn't a big football fan, and I think you'd find that Graham Stuart would much rather talk about speedway than footie.
    I doubt that but Rory Allen had horrific knee injuries and the other 2 had long careers.  Poyet had done the hardest part, then it appears, just walked away. 
  • Options

Taylor is not into football either.
  • Options

Taylor is not into football either.
    Same with Claus Jensen.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    As did Simon Church. 

Replace church with an academy player who gets kicked out after a year After he has given the club his formative years  

no one cries, says how unfair the club are. 

Gomez is revered here yet walked out on his contract. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    As did Simon Church. 

Replace church with an academy player who gets kicked out after a year After he has given the club his formative years  

no one cries, says how unfair the club are. 

Gomez is revered here yet walked out on his contract. 
    No he didn't... He was sold
  • Options
    I'd be interested to know if he regretted moving to West Ham.
    He said recently he has no regrets.
    How many years at £26,000 per week?  Two?  Properly invested, he should be set up for life.