Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bob Dylan

Can we work out the CL Dylan top albums.

I came to him in 1976 and love Desire and Blood on the tracks above all else. Even Nashville skyline. 

What are your favourites?

Comments

• That’s a tough one. 

Blood on the Tracks (and More Blood on the Tracks)

Then it’s a little group

Desire
    Blonde on Blonde
    Highway 61 Revisited
  • edited February 2020
    Another Side of Bob Dylan
    The Freewheeling Bob Dylan
    Bringing it all back home
    Blood On the tracks
    Street Legal (A lot of people wouldn't agree with me there)
    Time Out of Mind

• Blonde on Blonde
    Blood on the tracks
    Highway 61 revisited
    Desire

God what a list ... 
  • Blood On The Tracks is my favourite and another album not mention yet.

John Wesley Harding would be in my top 5

• edited February 2020
    My heart sank when I saw the thread title - fearing the worst.

Where to start with the greatest poet of the 20th century and my ultimate music God?

Many albums have already been mentioned and I would agree with most who list Blood on the Tracks - for me the greatest album ever made.

Other favourites (they are pretty much all favourites) would be:
    Highway 61 Revisited
    Desire
    Bringing it all Back Home
    Blonde on Blonde
    Infidels
    Nashville Skyline

I would also mention some of his live albums:

Dylan and the Dead (his best version of 'Knocking on Heaven's Door' with Jerry Garcia's brilliant guitar playing)
    MTV Unplugged (amazing versions of 'Desolation Row' and 'Love Minus Zero/No Limit').

The man has no equal - only Leonard Cohen comes close.

• I prefer his post motorcycle crash albums

Blood on the Tracks is my all time number one album by anyone.

I would go with John Wesley Harding and the Basement Tapes, partly as I'm a huge fan of the Band.

I would go with John Wesley Harding and the Basement Tapes, partly as I'm a huge fan of the Band.
    You have exquisite taste, Henners.

• bobmunro said:
    I prefer his post motorcycle crash albums

You have exquisite taste, Henners.

Ditto
  • edited February 2020
    Though I would place the Divine Joni far above Cohen as a poet and a singer.
  • Though I would place the Devine Joni far above Cohen as a poet and a singer.

No argument from me - I was probably being sexist and just referring to male poets.

I would put the irresistible, gorgeous, sublime Joni in the same company. God I love that woman.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2020
    Brought up on Dylan by my dad, he came in around 1974 so Blood on the Tracks was his first new Dylan album. As a result I ended up hearing BOTT and Desire before ever hearing the great 60s albums, which my dad bought post 1977. Remember going to WH Smith’s in Orpington to get Street Legal with him the day it came out. He had just been to Earls Court to see Dylan live. We first heard Basement Tapes and Bringing it all back home in 1978 and then got Slow Train, Budokan, Saved and Shot of Love when they came out. I first got to see Dylan live with my dad at Earls Court in 1981.

Some great albums and some missed opportunities for greatness by missing off superior tracks on the eventual releases - including Trouble instead of Angelina and Groom Still Waiting on Shot of Love; Blind Willie Mctell left off Infidels. Luckily all those gems were finally made available on the Bootleg Series of albums starting in 1991.

Got a real soft spot for the two acoustic covers albums Good as I Been To You and World Gone Wrong and have been a fanatical convert to the wonderful Under The Red Sky.

Saw Dylan live again in 1993 (Hammy O), 1995 (Brixton Academy) and 2002 (NEC).

Favourite albums would be:

Blonde on Blonde
    John Wesley Harding
    Planet Waves
    Hard Rain
    Street Legal
    Oh Mercy
    Under the Red Sky
    World Gone Wrong
    Time out of Mind

Closely followed by:

Freewheelin
    Times they are
    Bringing it
    Highway 61
    Blood on the tracks
    Desire
    Saved
    Shot of Love
    Good as I been to you
  • With the supposed forecast I think it would be rather apt to play a compilation of the following Dylan tracks:

Idiot Wind
    Hurricane
    Shelter From The Storm
    Buckets of Rain
    Blowin' In The Wind
    A Hard Rains Gonna Fall
    Rainy Day Women
    When The Night Comes Falling From The Sky
    Thunder On The Mountain
    Tempest

• I have a soft spot for Self Portrait as well as those I mentioned before.
  • edited February 2020
  • I can give you a list of my 5 favourites, but in what order I ask myself?
    How to choose between an album containing Tangled up in Blue and Idiot Wind against one containing Like a Rolling Stone; Ballad of a Thin Man and Desolation Row?
    Well I guess that Highway 61 was a pretty sensational statement in 1965 ffs ( 'bout the same month as the Stones lyrically primitive Out of our Heads and The Beatles emerging awareness on Help).
    Whereas Blood on the tracks is arguably  by comparison more of an affirmation of his genius than the former's "culturally significant event" status.
    Anyway, my 5 choices:-
    Blood on the Tracks
    Highway 61 Revisited
    Desire
    Bringing it all back home
    Planet Waves
  • The early ones where he brings a freshness to trad folk songs are his best IMO. Once he turned Judas, he was just another songwriter with a bad voice....
  • edited February 2020
    Pedro45 said:
    The early ones where he brings a freshness to trad folk songs are his best IMO. Once he turned Judas, he was just another songwriter with a bad voice....
    I feel completely the opposite.
    I was undoubtedly too young to fully appreciate Dylan when he first emerged. -  though I was aware of how cool he seemed and how sophisticated and powerful his words were.
    However, even now, 25 verses each suffixed with a harmonica trill doesn't do it for me.
    In fact it reminds me of "enlightened" English teachers or Art teachers at school, with cheap acoustic guitars, cheap clothes, beards and skid-marks, belting out Blowin'in the Wind or Gates of Eden
  • Pedro45 said:
    The early ones where he brings a freshness to trad folk songs are his best IMO. Once he turned Judas, he was just another songwriter with a bad voice....
    The "cool" album to pick would have been live at the Albert Hall 1966 :smile:
  • Pedro45 said:
    If ever there was an artist who had a bad voice it was certainly him.....but it never mattered for one moment, because it was all about the delivery, which was unquestionably superb.
    Such a huge talent, possibly as a composer/poet the greatest of the 20th Century.
    I much preferred his earlier stuff by the way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Pedro45 said:
    I was undoubtedly too young to fully appreciate Dylan when he first emerged. -  though I was aware of how cool he seemed and how sophisticated and powerful his words were.
    However, even now, 25 verses each suffixed with a harmonica trill doesn't do it for me.
    In fact it reminds me of "enlightened" English teachers or Art teachers at school, with cheap acoustic guitars, cheap clothes, beards and skid-marks, belting out Blowin'in the Wind or Gates of Eden
    How do you know your teachers had skid marks? 😨😨

Loved the Band, the Last Waltz there farewell concert, for me the best concert movie ever made.
  • my preferred choices would be most of his acoustic albums. (though i do like a number of his electric albums.) 

the Bootlegged live 1964 album at the Philharmonic Hall which incorporates alot of those early records is for me my favourite. 
  • So much opinion  and we willl never agree. We all differ. There is no doubt that Dylan was influencial, important, and divided opinion (even in 66). A great, great artist.
  • Pedro45 said:
    How do you know your teachers had skid marks? 😨😨
    Oh, it was nailed on mate. You just knew  ;)
  •  No one mentioned Infidels yet. Great album. 

Think my favourites are:  bringing it all back home (I just love “Bob Dylan’s 115th dream and Love minus zero), Infidels and Blood On The Tracks. If live albums count then “At Budokan” has to be in there. 

•  No one mentioned Infidels yet. Great album. 

Think my favourites are:  bringing it all back home (I just love “Bob Dylan’s 115th dream and Love minus zero), Infidels and Blood On The Tracks. If live albums count then “At Budokan” has to be in there. 

Talking 115th dream; not enough is made of Dylan's humour (115th even has a punch line)
  • Blood on The Tracks.  Definitely my favourite Bob album with some wonderful tracks but my favourite Dylan songs aren't on it.

Loved the Band, the Last Waltz there farewell concert, for me the best concert movie ever made.
    Careful shot to not show the mucous running from the cocaine-ruined nose of the drummer, allegedly.

Careful shot to not show the mucous running from the cocaine-ruined nose of the drummer, allegedly.
    Wasn’t that story in relation to a “refreshed” Neil Young?