Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Most Overrated Products

Comments

• rina said:
    people really need to distinguish between apples phones and their computers

iPhones are clearly overrated whereas their computers are vastly superior to windows machines. my MacBook pro is the greatest bit of kit- super fast, never goes wrong, never crashes, no viruses, incredible battery life and stupidly light
    Except they are not vastly superior if you spend similar amounts of money on a windows laptop.
  • Dualit toasters: the embodiment of style over substance. 
  • Bilko said:
    Generally any Italian food made in this country is overpriced and overrated.
    You could say this about any chain restaurants. Personally prefer going to smaller independent restaurants as the food tends to be better, more often. 
  • edited January 2020
    You Apple knockers can all fuck off. I am typing this on a 2011 Macbook which is in daily use, and I mean hours daily. Today I've been told that our 6 year old Samsung TV, which is used far less, has a motherboard problem which is unrepairable. I've just used my Macbook to inform the local Samsung management how overrated their product is.
    TV vs Computer?

Typical Charlton life comparing things that are very different products. 

I have a 2013 Mac, it works fine... Usability sucks compared to a Windows or Linux or Android system...

But hey, it works and looks nice in the corner for the 3-5 times a month I use it. Oh and apparently it won't get hacked or virus. Why do iCloud leaks keep happening then? Not complaining about them, we'd have no fappening without Apple.
  • cafcpolo said:
    rina said:

iPhones are clearly overrated whereas their computers are vastly superior to windows machines. my MacBook pro is the greatest bit of kit- super fast, never goes wrong, never crashes, no viruses, incredible battery life and stupidly light
    Except they are not vastly superior if you spend similar amounts of money on a windows laptop.
    I have one one of the new Apple Air ipad Generation 7’s.......upgraded from a 5 which I had for a couple of years......I’m pretty hopeless around computers full stop but I find Apple ipads easy enough to use and reliable .....so I have no complaints.
  • cafcpolo said:
    rina said:

I have one one of the new Apple Air ipad Generation 7’s.......upgraded from a 5 which I had for a couple of years......I’m pretty hopeless around computers full stop but I find Apple ipads easy enough to use and reliable .....so I have no complaints.
    Fair enough, I actually class the iPads as their best product by some distance.
  • edited January 2020
    cafcpolo said:
    cafcpolo said:
    rina said:

Fair enough, I actually class the iPads as their best product by some distance.
    Until the system files overtake all the actual content in terms of memory use and they slow down massively. 

I think it's just iPhones people really dislike. I move between phones and OS quite often on mobile devices and do a LOT of research on phones. 

Based on flagship models:

Samsung - Very nice phones, work well but very pricey for flagships. Decent Camera.

Apple - Very simple phones, work well, look nice but very pricey too. Very Decent Camera on newest flag.

Google - Pixel phones are more affordable, still nice but in staying affordable are falling behind in battery and camera quality. Get a lot out of an underpowered camera.

OnePlus - Superfast screens, super fast processors, larger batteries and at more affordable prices, but those have started to creep up of late. Okay camera, probably the only let down.

Huawei - Very nice phones, fast processors, decent batteries and in the mid-expensive range. Loss of Google Play may condemn them to the scrap heap. Very good camera btw.

No idea on my next device but think I am going to give the Realme X2Pro given it's very decent reviews at less than a quarter price of the Apple or Samsung flags... 

• bobmunro said:
    Rothko said:
    agree on RayBands, be a real person and buy Oakleys

Persol - good enough for Steve McQueen then good enough for me.
    And me. Fold-up model.
  • edited January 2020
    https://youtu.be/jhDisgdEG4U

This iPhone chat reminds me of this from Rome’s Ranganathan. 
  • Never knew the IPhone / Samsung Android debate was so heated tbh. I got a Galaxy and my Mrs still had her IPhone and when I used it a couple of times, I couldn't believe how much I prefered the Galaxy. Maybe because, at that time, I was more used to the Galaxy but once my Mrs' phone was due an upgrade, she got a Galaxy and found it better to use too. Neither of us are over technically minded, so it was just ease of use, as opposed to what one was quicker or could store the most.

The only other thing I do remember is the photos mine took seemed a better quality than her iPhone at the time too. She needs a decent camera phone for work
  • Sponsored links:

•  :) Keep the phoney war on shades going, guys. It will all be grist to the mill for EssilorLuxottica, the largest global consumer monopoly you’ve never heard of. They make them all, and any other glasses brand you can think of. I only learnt this myself when I got Essilor as a client, before they bought Luxottica. 

You’d get plenty of change from 1 euro from the cost of the lenses too. Rolling in dosh, that monster is.
  • My nephew knows stuff and reckons his Huawei is great. He reckons all the phone companies and such like can access your life anyway and thinks the anti Huawei stuff is about Apple etc wanting to dominate.
  • It's amazing how much information we let them have. Sometimes we even want them to have it. Google finally cottoned on to the fact that I was a Charlton fan last week and asked me the question outright, to which I was happy to reply 'yes'. I wish TOFFS would have done that. Many years ago I was nominated at work to buy a Harry Cripps style shirt for a mate who's a Millwall fan. For years after that I was bombarded with adverts lions shit this, lions shit that. Arrgghhh!
  • Rampant rabbit, don't hop about or nothing and ugly as f...   wife seems fond of it though. 
  • MrLargo said:
    Some excellent nominations on here. Please can I add:

KFC - poor quality chicken, saturated in grease
    Chinese food (or at least the version we get over here) - a plate of MSG
    Miracle-Gro - I've poured it on my plants, I've poured it on my knob. No magic beanstalks in either scenario.
    Ray Ban sunglasses - nothing wrong with them, but outrageously expensive. What am I missing? What do I get for £150 that I don't get for £50 somewhere else, apart from a little squiggle in the corner of the lens?
    KFC a million percent! Awful stuff.  My wife and kids absolutely love it though. Have even been dragged from wood green, where we have a KFC, to Tottenham especially for it, as the branch there is far superior apparently. KFC snobs!
  • seth plum said:
    My nephew knows stuff and reckons his Huawei is great. He reckons all the phone companies and such like can access your life anyway and thinks the anti Huawei stuff is about Apple etc wanting to dominate.
    There would also appear to be stuff he has still to learn, particularly in the field of geo-politics.
  • Ring Doorbell.
  • Ring Doorbell.
    Agree, you can’t beat knockers
  • edited January 2020
    Ring Doorbell.
    Agree, you can’t beat knockers
    As long as there isn’t a big knob lower down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ring Doorbell.
    Agree, you can’t beat knobs

• MrLargo said:
    Some excellent nominations on here. Please can I add:

KFC - poor quality chicken, saturated in grease
    Chinese food (or at least the version we get over here) - a plate of MSG
    Miracle-Gro - I've poured it on my plants, I've poured it on my knob. No magic beanstalks in either scenario.
    Ray Ban sunglasses - nothing wrong with them, but outrageously expensive. What am I missing? What do I get for £150 that I don't get for £50 somewhere else, apart from a little squiggle in the corner of the lens?
    That's a takeaway thing rather than a restaurant generally - there's some really fantastic sit-down restaurants around. Some suggestions:

- Gold Mine, Bayswater (whole duck for £18!!)
    - Kaki, Caledonian Road
    - Sanxia Renjia (one in Bromley, another has moved to Goodge Street which was in Deptford, great and authentic Sichuan. Adventurous stuff available!)
    - Dumplings Legend (Chinatown). Have the xiaolongbao (soup dumplings) - fantastic.

There's a few others. I would, however, avoid Hutong and Park Chinois, which are for the uber-rich to be seen and not really eat that authentically. Heard good things about Barshu but no idea what it's like personally.
  • Leaf blowers 

Cordless hoovers
  • edited January 2020
    Products bought from a farmers /  producers market.

Should be cheaper by x2 the cost. £3 for a loaf of bread etc...
  • Products bought from a farmers /  producers market.

Should be cheaper by x2 the cost. £3 for a loaf of bread etc...
    so you wont be at Hall Place Bexley farmers market on Sunday then
  • Millwalls firm
  • Garlic presses. Total waste of time. Washing them up takes five times as long as crushing/chopping the garlic with a knife
  • IdleHans said:
    Garlic presses. Total waste of time. Washing them up takes five times as long as crushing/chopping the garlic with a knife

I get the frozen chopped garlic now for that reason
  • I don’t remember the episode of Dragons Den where an esteemed CL poster pitched this idea. 

• The sky bet championship.