Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cornwall holiday parks - Any advice?

Never been Cornwall and looking for a week in the summer. Struggling to find anything that’s particularly drawing me in so looking to see if anyone has any experience, recommendations etc.

Looking for a caravan / lodge, 3 beds, bit of decking, on a park that’s not completely remote and has a decent entertainment venue, outdoor pool, with a flume possibly. And not a great big campsite attached to it. 

Stayed at Woolocombe Bay in Devon a year ago and struggling to find anything to match up to that. 

Though caravans, these aren’t cheap weeks in the summer so could do with any advice anyone might have, or good regions in the county to stay.

cheers

Comments

• Ayr holiday park in St Ives is great, right on the edge of town, walkable with great views, good for kids also
  • Went here year before last and loved it.

https://www.hendra-holidays.com/

Just outside Newquay

Really decent indoor pool with outdoor as well. 
    Only thing there is camping on site but that really didn't bother me
  • Haven't stayed here for a while as we have friends with a couple of cottages that we stay at when we go to Cornwall (next visit in March), but it is a popular location between Looe and Polperro on the south coast.  Has a mix of lodges and static caravans: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186241-d621335-Reviews-Killigarth_Manor_Holiday_Park-Polperro_Cornwall_England.html

• edited January 2020
    We stayed at St Ives Bay Holiday Park.  Doesn't tick all the boxes you put there but had an amazing 2 weeks.  Choice of caravans, lodges and houses.  On the sand dunes a stroll to Hayle beach which is 3 miles of golden sands and has a surf school.  The pool is quite small and inside but you have the Sea of course.  Some entertainment although we only dipped in and out.  Bingo, magicians, singers and the like.  Had footy for the kids, a tennis court, crazy golf and was near to Hayle so amenities near by.  Loved it.  

Beachside holiday park just down the road looked similar from a distance.

From Hayle you can get a train to St Ives if you wanted to visit - tourist central.

As I recall, you have youngish kids... Would certainly recommend a trip to the Minnack theatre story telling- great value in superb surroundigs
  • edited January 2020
    Hayle has a lovely one, although it doesn’t have EVERYTHING you mentioned. The beach is incredible. 

My Dad has just finished doing up a holiday chalet there as a bit of a pension / family holiday destination (went there loads growing up so thought it would be nice to have one of our own), it should be on the website somewhere. Failing that there are tons of great places to stay that might match your requirements more closely.

www.tomsholidays.co.uk
  • Only been to Cornwall once. Many years' ago when the kids were young. Left Bromley in 70% sunshine. By the time we got to Newquay it was pissing down - stayed that way for the rest of the week. Never been back since.
  • We stayed at perran sands in 2012, and would definitely recommend. Imho Haven sites are generally good with decent facilities. Has it's own beach area.

Stayed at park dean Marazion a few years ago, had a few issues with accommodation so wouldn't recommend. Lovely area mind

• Stayed at white acres a few times run now by parkdean holidays massive site set in nearly 200 acres of woodland where a lot of the lodges and caravans are based around 13 fishing lakes but lodges are well spread out has all the usual amenities indoor pool clubhouse shops etc
    Approx 5 miles from newquay 
  • We stayed here 2 years ago with our 2 young kids. Highly recommend it as we all had a great time.

https://www.darwinescapes.co.uk/parks/sandymouth-holiday-resort/
  • Sponsored links:

• We stayed @ Park Dean last year (Newquay Holiday Park)

Wasnt a bad park... Location was inland about 10mins away from Newquay - Good facilities but bloody hilly though, we were in a caravan towards the top of the hill and was a proper slog to get down to the bar / restaurant if we wanted to go in there
  • I don't know of any Holiday parks etc in the area, however what I would do is 100% recommend the Helston/Porthleven areas as a great base - especially for kids. Helston has a great little themepark (Flambards) and basically you get your day ticket and then can go back in anytime for the next 4/5 days after that.

loads of amazing beaches (Sennen Cove is the beat of all) and things to do / see all within an easy drive, more importantly plenty to do if the weather proves a bit dodgy (Falmouth / Penzance etc)
  • edited January 2020
    As you know AFKA we spend a lot of time in Cornwall and I would love to help you however having no kids to worry about now we stay in Spa Hotels or self catering farm houses etc, none of which you want.

One bit of advice I would offer though is aim for North Cornwall because if you get good weather the beaches are better plus you get the waves if you and the kids fancy trying a bit of boogie/body boarding. The sea is cold however you can hire wet suits at a reasonable daily rate.

Good luck 
  • thanks all.

Never appreciated how big Cornwall was and how many different regions. Enough for the kids, suitable for mobility constraints for elders, other considerations...been the hardest break i've ever tried to arrange.

• If your family don’t mind getting mucky this place is in Devon but you can do on the way there or back to break the journey... just take old clothes you dont mind chucking at the end... I taught my lad the Klinsmann dive here!

https://www.thebeartrail.co.uk/

Would definitely recommend setting off in the small hours of the morning in both directions as traffic is bleedin horrible if you catch it badly with only one road in and out.
  • thanks all.

Never appreciated how big Cornwall was and how many different regions. Enough for the kids, suitable for mobility constraints for elders, other considerations...been the hardest break i've ever tried to arrange.

Just need the weather now mate.
    .:-(
  • thanks all.

Depending on how many of you are going (if you're including the old dears), you might want to think about AirBnB'ing.  We rented a beautiful cliff top house for a week in Portreath on the North Coast and when split between all the adults, the cost was more than reasonable.  It had its own pool and hot tub too.

Absolutely love Cornwall though, so glad we went last summer as that was the first time I'd been, other than going to a stag do in Newquay in 2003!

Bear in mind though, the traffic can be bloody murder, especially with any kind of accident or hold up on the A30.  It took us 7.5hrs to get there and 9.5hrs to drive back the following Saturday!  The two Mum's made it back 3 hours as they flew to/from Newquay to Heathrow lol. 
  • Good shout Johynboy, I never go down when the kids are on school holidays so miss the rush.

AFKA as JB has said during the school holidays the roads and attractions can be very busy. Also if you are taking elderly parents you may want to research what beaches you plan to visit as some of them have steep access i.e. a lot of stairs or steep slopes.

Not selling this too you are we!! Lol
  • I stayed in Perran Sands at Perranporth a good few years back.  Different league to the little holiday park we stayed at in St Margarets Bay in Kent a few times, though i loved both.   Perran Sands is quite steep up and down to the private beach though if you do have mobility issues.  But is is very nice.  We drove out to different places also but the kids loved the beach.  It's massive.  Very nice spot. 
  • If you're into your karting you have to check out St Eval kart circuit in Cornwall. Some track that is.
  • Sponsored links:

• If you're into your karting you have to check out St Eval kart circuit in Cornwall. Some track that is.
    Done that a couple of times, great days.
  • Oh...and a top tip...if its raining, DONT go to the Eden Project.  Everyone seem's to think it is undercover (like we did too) but its only about 10% undercover.  
  • Have stayed at a number of Parkdean Resorts parks, including White Acres, and they've all been pretty decent.  Ruda (albeit in Devon) is also a great location.
  • addick19 said:
    Only been to Cornwall once. Many years' ago when the kids were young. Left Bromley in 70% sunshine. By the time we got to Newquay it was pissing down - stayed that way for the rest of the week. Never been back since.
    Thats Cornwall for you.  Cornish Riviera my arse.
  • thanks all.

Never appreciated how big Cornwall was and how many different regions. 

It's an entire country, AFKA.

Or it was once.  :wink:

• addick19 said:
    Only been to Cornwall once. Many years' ago when the kids were young. Left Bromley in 70% sunshine. By the time we got to Newquay it was pissing down - stayed that way for the rest of the week. Never been back since.
    Thats Cornwall for you.  Cornish Riviera my arse.
    Are you still living in Cornwall, mate .... ?

• Been to Cornwall a few times and reckon the only way to make it bearable to travel there in the school holidays is, if your holiday let will allow to set off just after evening food or 7pm whichever is the later. 

Kids fall asleep in the car and you can shift them into their beds often without them waking up:!main priority is don’t get stuck in a 25 mile tailback around Stonehenge or on one of the other limited options if going by road. 

Or think about going by train or flying and renting a car but that can be a expensive.

• AFKA, if you can avoid driving down to Cornwall on a summer holiday Saturday ..... that's when the world and his wife all drive down at the same time.
    Any other time you should be fine.

Remember, geographically Cornwall is a basically a long peninsula; the A30 is the prime route, plus the A38 (south) and the A39 (north).
    And there are no motorways in Cornwall. 

• edited January 2020
    Absolutely love Cornwall & a very frequent visitor to the county. North Cornwall is more rugged than the South but can easily tour around. Personally a fan of the South, Kynance Cove is just beautiful but may be difficult for the less abled to reach.For the kids Flambards theme park in Helston & the Seal Sanctuary in nearby Gweek! Saint Michael’s Mount in nearby Marazion and the glorious outside Minack theatre.  Not far from Falmouth where boat trips to Helford River (recommend Shipwrights pub for food but you’d have to book) or just cruising! Also St Ives is just spectacularly beautiful!  
    Also in school holidays definitely leave early hours! 
  • Went here year before last and loved it.

https://www.hendra-holidays.com/

Just outside Newquay

Really decent indoor pool with outdoor as well. 
    Only thing there is camping on site but that really didn't bother me
    Been here 3 separate years, it's probably one of the better parks in Cornwall. One thing, it's on top of a hill so can get a bit blowy.