Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2020 World Cup of Pubs

edited December 2019 in Fun, Jokes & Captions
Our World Cup of Pubs is running again at the moment: https://deserter.co.uk/2019/12/2020-deserter-world-cup-of-pubs/

River Ale House in a qualifier today. Long Pond, White Swan, Pelton Arms and Plume of Feathers to feature soon too. 

Comments

• Support the River!
  • Do you have to have Twitter?

I've only been in one of those - the River Ale House - but it sure deserves a vote
  • I know three of them. Not fond of Stormbird (a bit young for an old git like me), preferring The Hermit's Cave opposite. The Rake is overpriced, therefore River Ale House gets my vote. Done it already on Twitter.
  • Stormbird gets my vote, feel thirsty just looking at what they have on tap. 2 and 4 worth a trip. Wondered why 1 made the list.
  • Vincenzo said:
    Our World Cup of Pubs is running again at the moment: https://deserter.co.uk/2019/12/2020-deserter-world-cup-of-pubs/

River Ale House in a qualifier today. Long Pond, White Swan, Pelton Arms and Plume of Feathers to feature soon too. 

Thanks for including The River Ale House again this time Vincenzo. It has taken me a bit by surprise because I wasn't expecting the 2020 World Cup of Pubs to start in 2019.

Last time we only found out about the competition after we were knocked out so at least we are in with a shout this time.

Who knows, maybe a Charlton supporting World Cup of Pubs winner will be Tahnoon Nimer's first trophy!

While I'm on, we have the Cutty Sark Singers from St Alfege Church on tonight at about 9.30 with their harmonious renditions of some old favourite carols (all for charity), and we are starting off with nine cask beers on the go.

Sing when we're drinking, we only sing when we're drinking................

Vote for The River before noon tomorrow, and keep an eye out for our other pub's matches.
  • Stormbird is a great pub, as is the River Ale House, shame they are in the same group! 
  • se9addick said:
    Stormbird is a great pub, as is the River Ale House, shame they are in the same group! 
    Yes, it's the group of death! Some scabby knife and fight pub is meanwhile in a group with Scotland. 
  • rananegra said:
    Do you have to have Twitter?

I've only been in one of those - the River Ale House - but it sure deserves a vote
    Yes, you do. You have to be logged in, otherwise people could vote over and over again.
  • @Lucky_the_Cat

"Thanks for including The River Ale House again this time Vincenzo. It has taken me a bit by surprise because I wasn't expecting the 2020 World Cup of Pubs to start in 2019.

Last time we only found out about the competition after we were knocked out so at least we are in with a shout this time.

Who knows, maybe a Charlton supporting World Cup of Pubs winner will be Tahnoon Nimer's first trophy!

While I'm on, we have the Cutty Sark Singers from St Alfege Church on tonight at about 9.30 with their harmonious renditions of some old favourite carols (all for charity), and we are starting off with nine cask beers on the go.

Sing when we're drinking, we only sing when we're drinking................

Vote for The River before noon tomorrow, and keep an eye out for our other pub's matches."

You're welcome. The tournament starts in December but the final is in January, so it's the 2020 cup. 

Looks like The River has mobilised its troops for this one, which is great to see. Doing very well!
  • Vincenzo said:
    rananegra said:
    Do you have to have Twitter?

Yes, you do. You have to be logged in, otherwise people could vote over and over again.

Much as I like the River Ale House, signing up to Twitter would be no good for my sanity. :(

Vote for The River if you do!
  • Sponsored links:

• If you missed the previous qualifiers:

The Chandos in Honor Oak knocked out the Mayflower, Market Porter and Priory Arms, which was a shock.
    Also surprised that Ninth Life in Catford beat the Old Kings Head, the Royal Albert and the Great Exhibition.
    Hermits Cave beat the Royal Oak in Borough by a nose too.

Unbelievable, Jeff.
  • The River Ale House are up against it in the Round of 16, folks.

https://twitter.com/deserterblog/status/1210891700345954304?s=21

• Wow east Dulwich tavern is storming ahead atm 
  • Yeah, we have a lot of readers in Dulwich. Hope the RAH can fight back!

• Is our graffiti still in The Rake?  Potty Trotty was my mate's disgusting home brew.
  • It doesn’t sound very appealing but will have a look next time in I’m at the market.
  • So many of the pubs listed seem to be those places trying too hard to be trendy and full of hipster-type knobs with beards and an obsession with "craft beer", whatever they think that is (like they have suddenly invented it!).

Blythe Hill Tavern or the Plume for me.
  • River Ale House better than Stormbird? Not in a million years..... 

That's like awarding the Bankers Draft in Eltham the award for the best pub of all time...

• Not really getting your point. River Ale House is an award-winning pub. 
  • Sponsored links:

• The Pelton is currently in a close battle with the Chandos. Apart from being a sister pub to the White Swan, the owner is a Charlton supporter.

• And it’s also a really decent pub. Whereas the Chandos really is not. 
  • edited January 2020
    The Pelton is a fantastic pub.

The Chandos is alright these days, I thought. 
  • Never heard of the Chandos so looked it up.

They have a "craft beer" tab on their website which features a "Peach Melba Sour" consisting of "peach, raspberry, vanilla and lactose".

In a beer. 

I dont think I will be in a rush to pay them a visit.
  • went in the went in the Chandos about 2-3 months ago and thought it was pretty rubbish tbf.

Could be with the River Ale House, the Pelton Arms, the White Swan and the Morden Arms all within walking distance that I’m a bit spoilt. 
  • went in the went in the Chandos about 2-3 months ago and thought it was pretty rubbish tbf.

Could be with the River Ale House, the Pelton Arms, the White Swan and the Morden Arms all within walking distance that I’m a bit spoilt. 
    Is the Morden Arms still a weird pub?

Went in there once a few years back and it was just plain odd. No other punters in there apart from us and the beer was rank.

Tried going back there a few times since and kt was shut. Locals told me its opening hours were somewhat erratic and it was run more like a hobby than a serious business. Not sure if that's right, but not a bad hobby to have!

• Yeah it’s still weird. @big_in_brasov, @foresthillred and me went in after a pre-Christmas lunch in the Guildford Arms just for a beer as it was close by.

The landlord still wears the same hat. They don’t accept cards only cash. They had a decent band on, a 6 piece that took up half the pub and the pub was heaving. Wasn’t just standing room only it was continuously moving around to let people get to the bar.

it was a cold day and after going out for a cigarette as you opened the door there was a massive wall of heat from the packed pub coming at you. The beer was good that day. 

They have a decent looking list of live music happening most weeks and I guess that’s when it’s sure to be open. 

• Off_it said:
    Never heard of the Chandos so looked it up.

They have a "craft beer" tab on their website which features a "Peach Melba Sour" consisting of "peach, raspberry, vanilla and lactose".

In a beer. 

It's not unusual for a pub to have a fruit sour these days.

It's very odd to decide not to visit a pub because they serve a beer that you don't like and won't drink. Would you swerve a boozer because they serve Campari?

I don't get sours myself. But often if they cater for those who do, they cater for all sorts of beer styles, including one I'd enjoy. But then I like craft beer.

Fair enough. 

And yes, you are spoilt for choice! I know the Mrden can be a bit odd, but I also like that in a pub. Though I'm beginning to think I just like ALL pubs.
  • Vincenzo said:
    Off_it said:
    Never heard of the Chandos so looked it up.

In a beer. 

It's not unusual for a pub to have a fruit sour these days.

It's very odd to decide not to visit a pub because they serve a beer that you don't like and won't drink. Would you swerve a boozer because they serve Campari?

I don't get sours myself. But often if they cater for those who do, they cater for all sorts of beer styles, including one I'd enjoy. But then I like craft beer.

I love Campari. And Cinzano. And a snowball.