Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best + Worst Airports

Comments

• Best - Singapore (stupidly bought the then future wifes platinum engagement ring there for a great price. Only when I bought the wedding ring and later an eternity ring in Platinum did i realise how expensive it is in the Uk

Worst - Luton - What an absolute shit heap!!
    Agreed on Luton. A complete cesspit of an airport.

Best is any in the Caribbean as it means I'm in the Caribbean and not here, or in Luton.
    Don’t tell you start to throw the seats about.
  • Singapore is great.

Toronto Pearson is a large modern airport, but every time I fly through there something goes wrong - delayed flights, missed connections, lost luggage etc. so I hate the place.
  • Our Millwall friends are laughing at this thread.
    Really? Who cares what they think. 
  • JFK is awful, Chicago has improved since I was a kid, last time I transferred through there I managed to spend the 2 hour lay-over at Chilli's. Boneless wings and a pint of Sam Adams 😁

Philadelphia is good, good selection of food and usually very quick from check-in to air-side. Arriving can be hit and miss, sometimes no queue at immigration, other times it's inundated.

Not a fan of Gatwick, often a monumental hike to the gate, similar at Standard, especially if you're braving a Ryanair flight.

Big thumbs up for Helsinki
  • edited November 2019
    I’m amazed people can remember airports so well.

i must have flown into/from 40 odd and they all just merge into one in my memory. I’m sure I had positive/negative thoughts about many at the time but don’t remember now.

Last one I flew out of (for the first time) was Heathrow T5 which was very spacious, relaxing and generally nice.

I remember Negril in Jamaica being a huge wait to get through passport control.

And I remember Dubrovnik for the horrific hangover and not knowing what to do with myself.

The rest are all a bit samey but then I’ve not been to many places outside of Europe tbf.
  • Best - Bratislava. Modern, bright, full of totty and half empty.

Worst - Oslo Torp Sandfjord. Utter pit how it is described as Oslo is anyone's guess. Is about 3 hours outside the city.

Stockholm Skavaska isn't much better. Basically a hut in the middle of nowhere.
  • Best - Bratislava. Modern, bright, full of totty and half empty.

Worst - Oslo Torp Sandfjord. Utter pit how it is described as Oslo is anyone's guess. Is about 3 hours outside the city.

Stockholm Skavaska isn't much better. Basically a hut in the middle of nowhere.
    Sounds like you've used Ryanair for a lot of your European travel then? :)
  • In the UK when I can I fly from London City. Quick and easy especially if only hand luggage. Luton is the pits!
  • Best: Singapore 
    Best UK London City

Worst Nairobi 
  • Best - London city
    Worst - Nairobi - absolute hole of a place, yet Mombasa is the total opposite.
  • Sponsored links:

• This is very easy for me.

Worst: LAX - what a shit hole. Worse still the Americans are about as welcoming as the Taliban at a bacon convention. I agree with @Leroy Ambrose about Brunei too.

Best: Dubai could have been great but the connection between the terminals is not great, Singapore was good but some parts are looking aged now. That being the case I am going to opt for Dublin on the grounds that the lovely lady at the Business Lounge front desk let me wife and kids in for free!
  • best as mentioned by stuofkunming Qatar basically the best of Dubai airport with no people 

not so keen on city cos it feels  5 times busier than it was 20 years ago (still use it due to closeness to home and it not being stansted) and Stansted which is 10 times busier 

Worse
    egypt proper filth , thick twunts had an air show beside the airport delaying all flights for 3 hours 
    nearly getting ours cancelled due to working time restrictions ours were spinning back round .
    add to that the dirty lecherous filth at the security and it’s a no no 
  • stonemuse said:
    Our Millwall friends are laughing at this thread.
    According to some, just by posting that you don't care shows that you actually do.

It's a logic of idiocy, I agree.
  • stonemuse said:
    According to some, just by posting that you don't care shows that you actually do.

I'm gonna start a new thread....'Best and Worst Train Trips' - that'll have the Spanners salivating into their early morning pint of Skol.
  • stonemuse said:

I'm gonna start a new thread....'Best and Worst Train Trips' - that'll have the Spanners salivating into their early morning pint of Skol.
    Skol is more like a cup of cocoa before bed.

Bells is a morning tipple.
  • stonemuse said:

Skol is more like a cup of cocoa before bed.

Bells is a morning tipple.
    Bells lol.

Turps or White spirit more like. 
  • Best Bangkok 
    don’t like heathrow
    liverpool although cheap and quick on plus side. 
    Regina sk Canada not lot going on there 
  • Chizz said:
    I've been there.

Best: SIN and HGK
    Worse: MAN due to the security.
  • Actually better than all the above for starting a European trip is....

Ebbsfleet International Eurostar station :-)

Especially since they did away with the border guard post and replaced it with pleasant human beings who scan your passport as you wander in.

• wmcf123 said:
    Singapore is superb .

Luton horrific for many reasons.  A huge disappointment was Berlin - absolutely bugger all there 
    Berlin Tegel or Schönefeld? Either way there's a reason for it. They built a huge new airport next to Schönefeld. It's pretty much all built but for 4 years it's been sitting there with "teething problems" such as the fire sprinkler systems. There is still no opening date and is a national scandal. Very Un-German.

I am writing this from Berlin, but we can get here by train in 4 hours, way to go:-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Best Bangkok 
    don’t like heathrow
    liverpool although cheap and quick on plus side. 
    Regina sk Canada not lot going on there 
    Bangkok is ok but not nice when it is busy. The Thais screwed up. As soon as they built it, it was at capacity. Indeed, they had to reopen the old airport for a lot of the lower cost flights which is ridiculous as they are on opposite sides of the city.
  • Actually better than all the above for starting a European trip is....

Ebbsfleet International Eurostar station :-)

Especially since they did away with the border guard post and replaced it with pleasant human beings who scan your passport as you wander in.

Used that for the first time on a trip to Paris last month ... agreed, very pleasant and so easy and quick
  • Best - St Thomas in the Virgin Islands, you walk straight off the plane to the street and are handed a glass of rum as you go. That’s how air travel should be.

Worst - probably Hyderabad but I definitely agree with the shouts for JFK. I work in NYC a couple of times a year and always use Newark now which is marginally better. 
  • It sometimes depends on which bit of the terminal you're in. Changing planes in Abu Dhabi a couple of years ago, the upstairs terminal was swish and stylish but downstairs (for my onward flight to India) was surprisingly basic and uninviting
  • Bridgetown is pretty good.

Planes parks next to the building, off the plane, through passport control and collected luggage and out the airport in about 30 minutes.
  • Our Millwall friends are laughing at this thread.
    It's a proper Charlton thread this one.
  • Coimbatore Airport in India is awful. Nearly as bad as Luton.
  • This is very easy for me.

Worst: LAX - what a shit hole. Worse still the Americans are about as welcoming as the Taliban at a bacon convention. I agree with @Leroy Ambrose about Brunei too.

Best: Dubai could have been great but the connection between the terminals is not great, Singapore was good but some parts are looking aged now. That being the case I am going to opt for Dublin on the grounds that the lovely lady at the Business Lounge front desk let me wife and kids in for free!
    I've been to LAX twice and both times I've had the shits (true story).
  • Is LAX short for laxative?

• Hong Kong airport is pretty exceptional and ‘in-town check-in’ is genius.

JFK is getting some stick and whilst some terminals are diabolical, T4 and T5 are actually very good.