Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

After Walker went in goal for Man City, what about our heroes

edited November 2019 in General Charlton
Some clips to enjoy

Browndog Retweeted Charlton Athletic FC

I’ve never seen that first clip! I don’t even remember making that save what a lovely trip down memory lane @CAFCOfficial

And let's not forget the legendary John Hewie. 530 appearances for the club, he played in nine different positions including four STARTS in goal in 1962. The Addicks were undefeated in all four (two wins, two draws). #cafc

Comments

• Remember seeing Steve Gritt playing in goal....... memory not good enough nowadays to remember the match though
  • Against Palace at Selhurst on Boxing Day, I think.

Also away to Coventry at Highfield Road.
  • Derek Hales at Sunderland...
  • I remember one game i think in the Micky Mouse cup under Gobby when Jacko was the designated keeper on the bench but didnt need to come on. I was sooo hoping he would! 
  • I could be wrong, but seem to remember Andy Peake going in one time. 

• I was wondering if any of our goalkeepers have ever appeared on the field.
  • Stuart Leary at Aston Villa when we lost 11-1 I cant remember the score when Stuart went in goal, but we had already let quite a few in.
    Good question.  I presume you can bring a sub goalkeeper on to play in an outfield position if the manager wanted to? (also presuming they would have to have an outfield kit to change into)

That was against Southampton at Selhurst, probably only the last 10 minutes or so. Seem to remember Jimmy Case then unleashed a thunderbolt which no keeper would have saved.

I saw the CAFC video, I don't remember the Wolves one at all, although it looks like neither does Brownie. 

• Sponsored links:

• iaitch said:
    Against Palace at Selhurst on Boxing Day, I think.

I saw that one - Gritt played OK in goal.
  • Chizz said:
    Derek Hales at Sunderland...
    I’m sure this game was shown on match of the day.
  • Chizz said:
    Derek Hales at Sunderland...

He went in goal for Graham Tutt, who sadly never played again for Charlton
    Good question.  I presume you can bring a sub goalkeeper on to play in an outfield position if the manager wanted to? (also presuming they would have to have an outfield kit to change into)
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-man-city-boss-stuart-16606223.amp
  • Has a Charlton goalie ever scored? Even in a penalty shootout?
  • Isn’t there a  Bartram story - where he claimed no player should ever miss a pen, and was then made to take one himself and missed?
    Maybe it’s an urban myth. 
  • I think we shouldn’t be allowed to have sub goalkeepers on the bench just so we can continue to have the occasional entertainment of non goalkeeper goalies.
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-man-city-boss-stuart-16606223.amp
    Thanks, I can see why that idea has not really taken off then.
  • McBobbin said:
    Has a Charlton goalie ever scored? Even in a penalty shootout?
    Remember Hamer coming up for a late corner in our first season back in the championship. Think it was against Palarse. Goes for an overhead kick and..... missed!
  • Not sure Walker making a save that most of us could and having nothing else to do makes him a hero.
  • Sponsored links:

• Brian Kinsey. It was in the late sixties. It was against  QPR at home and I think the injured keeper was Willis. 3-3 draw if my memory serves me well. 
  • Not sure Walker making a save that most of us could and having nothing else to do makes him a hero.
    Agree. The way they were banging on about it, there couldn't have been a lot else of note to talk about. A bit of a non story really. 

I saw both the Steve Gritt performances. Both were not bad at all although we got beat both times. There was also talk that he would start in goal away to Carlisle in 1985 but in the end 17yr old Lee Harmsworth was selected. 

That was against Southampton at Selhurst, probably only the last 10 minutes or so. Seem to remember Jimmy Case then unleashed a thunderbolt which no keeper would have saved.

I saw the CAFC video, I don't remember the Wolves one at all, although it looks like neither does Brownie. 

That Southampton game was a fuck up. Johns committed two almost identical fouls in quick succession and had to go. Just looked the crowd up....5,930.
  • edited November 2019
    iaitch said:
    Against Palace at Selhurst on Boxing Day, I think.

I saw that one - Gritt played OK in goal.
    He certainly did. One of his saves made it onto the match of the day highlights. We lost 3-0 but I think he went in goal quite early in in the game. Certainly first half. 
  • I do not like it when a keeper is sent off and then a substitute keeper comes on in place of an outfield player. I think if the keeper is sent off, the replacement should only be an outfield player. 

I also think there should be a charity match each year where all outfield players are goalkeepers. All 20 premiership first choices playing a game would draw a good crowd. 
  • 25May98 said:
    I do not like it when a keeper is sent off and then a substitute keeper comes on in place of an outfield player. I think if the keeper is sent off, the replacement should only be an outfield player. 

I also think there should be a charity match each year where all outfield players are goalkeepers. All 20 premiership first choices playing a game would draw a good crowd. 
    Not quite the same but Dave Beasant used to play up front for Chelsea in their Middlesex Senior Cup games. One year he scored a header in the final! 
  • Isn’t there a  Bartram story - where he claimed no player should ever miss a pen, and was then made to take one himself and missed?
    Maybe it’s an urban myth. 
    He certainly took and missed one. Not sure about the claim though.