Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Poppies on Charlton shirts v Preston

It's really good to see players wearing poppies on their shirts on a Sunday just a few days away from the anniversary of Armistice Day.  Combined with the moment's silence prior to the game, the celebration of "Armed Forces Day" and the presence of Royal British Legion collectors.  

But why couldn't the club supply the team with enough shirts?  During the second half, all the Preston players (except one with a "blank" replacement shirt) and all four members of the refereeing team wore poppies on their shirts.  But very few of the Charlton team had poppies on after the break.  It looked scruffy and disrespectful.  

A great idea, poorly executed, in my opinion. 

Comments

• I give it half an hour.
  • Who wasn't wearing one?
  • 2 minutes now
  • Chizz said:
    It's really good to see players wearing poppies on their shirts on a Sunday just a few days away from the anniversary of Armistice Day.  Combined with the moment's silence prior to the game, the celebration of "Armed Forces Day" and the presence of Royal British Legion collectors.  

But why couldn't the club supply the team with enough shirts?  During the second half, all the Preston players (except one with a "blank" replacement shirt) and all four members of the refereeing team wore poppies on their shirts.  But very few of the Charlton team had poppies on after the break.  It looked scruffy and disrespectful.  

Yeah, as if that was the main disappointment from this afternoon. 

Cant say I noticed to be honest. 
  • Croydon said:
    Who wasn't wearing one?
    It looks like they didn't produce enough shirts.  So everyone started with a poppy on their shirt, but not all the subs had them on, and anyone who changed shirts at half time (as I think a lot of them always do) didn't have one on the second shirt.  

I am not suggesting any players chose not to wear one, it just seems the club let them down by not supplying enough. 
  • edited November 2019
    Chizz said:

You need to get your eyes tested then...

:wink:
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

You need to get your eyes tested then...

:wink:
    I noticed that, easier to see on the telly than from the Valley seats .. not an Irish Nat protest (we hope), as said, probably just an oversight in not ordering enough poppied shirts
  • Chizz said:

4/10. Can do better.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think I’m right in saying that they are only transferred on anyway. 
    That’s what I thought, done using the same machine they do the names and numbers 
    Solly's and Bonne's shirts had them on in the first half, but not in the second (it didn't look like it had simply fallen off, for example).  That's what makes me think they simply prepared enough for the starting XI to wear them, but the players' second half shirts didn't.  Leko's shirt didn't have one, but there's no suggestion that he was disinclined to wear a poppy - he certainly wore one two years ago playing for Bristol Rovers. 

Just seemed a bit odd to me.  
  • Chizz said:
    I think I’m right in saying that they are only transferred on anyway. 
    Solly's and Bonne's shirts had them on in the first half, but not in the second (it didn't look like it had simply fallen off, for example).  That's what makes me think they simply prepared enough for the starting XI to wear them, but the players' second half shirts didn't.  Leko's shirt didn't have one, but there's no suggestion that he was disinclined to wear a poppy - he certainly wore one two years ago playing for Bristol Rovers. 

Have you googled pics of leko two years ago at the remembrance game to gain that knowledge? Weird but Charlton if you have!
  • Leko has never played for Bristol R.
    I'd give up while your behind and no one cares.
  • Chizz said:

Have you googled pics of leko two years ago at the remembrance game to gain that knowledge? Weird but Charlton if you have!
    No,. 

Leko, Solly and Bonne have never - as far as I can ascertain - refused to wear a poppy.  Had they ever done so, that might have gone some way to explaining why we had at least three players in the second half who weren't wearing them.   I put it down to incompetence n the part of Charlton.  It just seems a bit odd and unprofessional. 
  • Is this fake news? Inasmuch as it matters not a jot.
    They wore the poppy in the first half but their replacement shirt wasn't poppified. That's it.
  • iainment said:
    Is this fake news? Inasmuch as it matters not a jot.
    They wore the poppy in the first half but their replacement shirt wasn't poppified. That's it.
    Yes, that's absolutely right.  No blame or accusations towards the players.  It just seems odd they didn't poppify (great word, btw) enough shirts.  
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

No,. 

Leko, Solly and Bonne have never - as far as I can ascertain - refused to wear a poppy.  Had they ever done so, that might have gone some way to explaining why we had at least three players in the second half who weren't wearing them.   I put it down to incompetence n the part of Charlton.  It just seems a bit odd and unprofessional. 
    Solly has never refused to wear a poppy, I know this because I’m the owner of his White ‘KRBS Sponsored’ poppy shirt that I bought a few years ago. 
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

No,. 

Solly has never refused to wear a poppy, I know this because I’m the owner of his White ‘KRBS Sponsored’ poppy shirt that I bought a few years ago. 
    I think he was let down a bit today
  • Sponsored links:

• This thread is just........it's well.............erm, it's a bit...............I can't even find the adjective. To notice in the first place, then start a thread, then research players who may or may not have worn them historically, it's just............