Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cristiano Ronaldo signs for Juventus

Comments

• "She later hired a lawyer and in 2010 negotiated a £287,000 out-of-court settlement.

As part of that deal, she agreed never to go public with her allegations. But she is now trying to overturn the settlement.

She says she signed only because she was “terrified of retaliation” from Ronaldo and of “being publicly humiliated”, court papers claim.

She told Der Spiegel she was now coming forward after seeing sex abuse victims tell their stories as part of the #MeToo movement."

Bollocks is she now coming forward because of other abuse victims, she's coming forward because clearly the 287k has run out and she wants more.

You know that do you ? If shes been a victim of a horrible crime no out of court settlement denies her the right to see the perpetrator punished. We dont know why Ronaldo payed it and we don’t really know the circumstances she accepted. If he’s guilty and im not suggesting he is then he deserves all he gets. If there is insufficient evidence then she will have to live with the consequences of not coming forward earlier or for making a false claim.

At present either party could be the victim here. No right for us to prejudge whom.

• "She later hired a lawyer and in 2010 negotiated a £287,000 out-of-court settlement.

As part of that deal, she agreed never to go public with her allegations. But she is now trying to overturn the settlement.

She says she signed only because she was “terrified of retaliation” from Ronaldo and of “being publicly humiliated”, court papers claim.

She told Der Spiegel she was now coming forward after seeing sex abuse victims tell their stories as part of the #MeToo movement."

Bollocks is she now coming forward because of other abuse victims, she's coming forward because clearly the 287k has run out and she wants more.

...Or you look at it the other way and say if he didnt do it in the first place hed never have paid up, so he deserves everything he gets.
  • i just hope he gets his £287K back
  • shine166 said:

"She later hired a lawyer and in 2010 negotiated a £287,000 out-of-court settlement.

...Or you look at it the other way and say if he didnt do it in the first place hed never have paid up, so he deserves everything he gets.
    I remember spending a long time assuming Michael Jackson was guilty because he paid out to Evan Chandler. When I later read about the situation in detail, I realised Jackson was guilty of being an idiot, and guilty of being vulnerable. He almost certainly wasn't guilty of much else, at least not in the Chandler case.

So when I see Ronaldo has paid out to someone, I don't immediately assume that makes him guilty. Sometimes, when you're that rich, it's just easier to deal with a dodgy situation with money.

However, there's way more in this one, IMO, and if he is guilty of what she claims, she has every right to kick up a fuss and take it further, whether she accepted/ spent the money or not.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

shine166 said:

"She later hired a lawyer and in 2010 negotiated a £287,000 out-of-court settlement.

I remember spending a long time assuming Michael Jackson was guilty because he paid out to Evan Chandler. When I later read about the situation in detail, I realised Jackson was guilty of being an idiot, and guilty of being vulnerable. He almost certainly wasn't guilty of much else, at least not in the Chandler case.

So when I see Ronaldo has paid out to someone, I don't immediately assume that makes him guilty. Sometimes, when you're that rich, it's just easier to deal with a dodgy situation with money.

However, there's way more in this one, IMO, and if he is guilty of what she claims, she has every right to kick up a fuss and take it further, whether she accepted/ spent the money or not.
    Either way it's a blot of Ronaldo's carefully managed reputation...

What a despicable thing to say.
    Why is it?

Let's assume for now (because obviously no one knows), that she was paid 287k. Why was she happy enough to accept this back then and remain silent for 9 years?

Her reasoning as told by Der Spiegel is "In 2009, Mayorga accused Ronaldo of rape. She said she was too afraid to say his name to the police & to go to court b/c she feared harassment by Ronaldo's fans".

9 years later, the guy is even more of a global superstar and i've no doubt has considerably more 'fans' than he did in 2009. So that reason seemingly holds no weight at all. If you were raped, it's a horrible thing to happen and i find it hard to believe your primary thought wouldn't be one of getting the justice you deserve, but instead thinking "i can't report this guy, i might upset his fans".

Whilst reading through all the stuff from Der Spiegel you have to say they've been very thorough and it's highly possible that the allegation could be legitimate. But for me unfortunately the moment she took the money, she signed it away and lost the right to then drag his name up again. By all means go to court 9 years ago and let a jury decide, but don't take nearly 300k to keep quiet and then a few years later bring it up again. That's the point of an out of court settlement!
    For this to come out now, to me, just seems like she wants another pay out and i'd be surprised if it doesn't end up being settled out of court again.

Obviously if it goes to trial and he's found guilty, then for sure Ronaldo absolutely deserves everything he gets, but the sceptic in me still wonders why now, 9 years later and not then. I don't really think that's 'despicable' or worth Paulie getting his knickers in a twist and giving me a flag.
  • shine166 said:

Absolutely and i'd assume the evidence of him paying her 287k would be crucial in to any new case as he'd have a hard job explaining that one away.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2018

Let's assume for now (because obviously no one knows), that she was paid 287k. Why was she happy enough to accept this back then and remain silent for 9 years?

As she puts it, she was badly advised (her lawyer was apparently an expert in traffic law!) and very much traumatised. She had also been advised by a nurse and a police officer to not make a fuss. That may or may not be true, but either way I think it's fair to investigate further. Certainly, neither you nor I know what her motives are.

9 years later, the guy is even more of a global superstar and i've no doubt has considerably more 'fans' than he did in 2009. So that reason seemingly holds no weight at all. If you were raped, it's a horrible thing to happen and i find it hard to believe your primary thought wouldn't be one of getting the justice you deserve, but instead thinking "i can't report this guy, i might upset his fans".

Since 2009 we have had the #MeToo movement. As for putting yourself in the shoes of a young woman who has just been raped by a man who has a million fans, many of which will verbally abuse you given the opportunity... I mean, are you seriously saying you can do that? Put yourself in her shoes? I know I can't.

Whilst reading through all the stuff from Der Spiegel you have to say they've been very thorough and it's highly possible that the allegation could be legitimate. But for me unfortunately the moment she took the money, she signed it away and lost the right to then drag his name up again.

I certainly think it's unfortunate the way it has played out, but if she was my friend and, before re-raising the subject, she asked me if she should just accept her mistake and let Ronaldo get away with it, I'd say fuck no.

For this to come out now, to me, just seems like she wants another pay out and i'd be surprised if it doesn't end up being settled out of court again.

I don't see how you could possibly make that call without knowing her.

Obviously if it goes to trial and he's found guilty, then for sure Ronaldo absolutely deserves everything he gets, but the sceptic in me still wonders why now, 9 years later and not then. I don't really think that's 'despicable' or worth Paulie getting his knickers in a twist and giving me a flag.

You seem to have two points - she took the money, and she took too long. I think she has addressed these points, and I personally find them believable. Regardless, I don't care if she took the money - if she was raped I would like the rapist to pay the price for his actions. At the very least, I refuse to damn her for taking the money and trying to rebuild her life privately. Instead of having her name spread around the world, as it has now - presumably she's in a better position to deal with it than when she was a waitress in 2009, back when men in power prolifically attacked women and got away with it.

Why is it?

Her reasoning as told by Der Spiegel is "In 2009, Mayorga accused Ronaldo of rape. She said she was too afraid to say his name to the police & to go to court b/c she feared harassment by Ronaldo's fans".

Whilst reading through all the stuff from Der Spiegel you have to say they've been very thorough and it's highly possible that the allegation could be legitimate. But for me unfortunately the moment she took the money, she signed it away and lost the right to then drag his name up again. By all means go to court 9 years ago and let a jury decide, but don't take nearly 300k to keep quiet and then a few years later bring it up again. That's the point of an out of court settlement!

Oh it was so worth giving u a flag.

U cant just assume that she has gone public now because she has ran out of money.

As stated above it is despicable, you have no idea what this women has been through and how hard it has been for her to get to the stage in her life to be able to do this now.

Its impossible to know if she has even spent any of the money maybe she has maybe she hasnt but for you to say she has only come out now to get more money is IMO a disgrace.

Maybe she has had alot of counselling and she has finally been able to try and get her life back together and sees him everyday on the news living the great life and she has been struggling for years.

Noone will know for sure other than her, but your comment is uncalled for as u dont know her.

Do you know how hard it is for women or men for that matter to come forward and take things like this to court
    That's ridiculous. Last time i looked this was a public forum where people could write their opinions.

Not that many people on here know footballers, celebrities, politicians, Roland, Meire etc etc but that doesn't stop people commenting on them does it?

I don't know Donald Trump personally but i still think he's complete fucking moron.

If we couldn't comment on anything without personally knowing the person then it'd be a pretty quiet place.
  • Why does almost everyone here assume he is lying? He says it was consensual. Does his word carry less weight than hers? As for the pay-off, as pointed out above with the Jackson case, in this celebrity obsessed world, that is not necessarily an admission of guilt.
  • Why does almost everyone here assume he is lying? He says it was consensual. Does his word carry less weight than hers? As for the pay-off, as pointed out above with the Jackson case, in this celebrity obsessed world, that is not necessarily an admission of guilt.

Jackson was a massive Nonce though...
  • edited October 2018

Why is it?

Oh it was so worth giving u a flag.

U cant just assume that she has gone public now because she has ran out of money.

As stated above it is despicable, you have no idea what this women has been through and how hard it has been for her to get to the stage in her life to be able to do this now.

Its impossible to know if she has even spent any of the money maybe she has maybe she hasnt but for you to say she has only come out now to get more money is IMO a disgrace.

Maybe she has had alot of counselling and she has finally been able to try and get her life back together and sees him everyday on the news living the great life and she has been struggling for years.

Noone will know for sure other than her, but your comment is uncalled for as u dont know her.

Do you know how hard it is for women or men for that matter to come forward and take things like this to court
    That's ridiculous. Last time i looked this was a public forum where people could write their opinions.

Not that many people on here know footballers, celebrities, politicians, Roland, Meire etc etc but that doesn't stop people commenting on them does it?

I don't know Donald Trump personally but i still think he's complete fucking moron.

If we couldn't comment on anything without personally knowing the person then it'd be a pretty quiet place.
    imageimage
  • Read this thread.

Here's one very VERY damning Tweet:

Yes - could be made up, could be bollocks, could be could be - BUT, I doubt this would be published unless they were fairly sure of the evidence. And I doubt the Las Vegas PD would have reopened the case had there been nothing else that came to light.

-------------------

I'm not calling Mr Ronaldo a rapist. That is for the legal system to decide, and decide fairly.

However, I'm DEFINITELY not going to call the woman involved a money grabber or anything else. That's a horrible thing to level; pigheadedly assumes innocence on Mr Ronaldo's behalf; and potentially represents a host of unhealthy male attitudes towards sexual conduct, consent, and rape.
  • Las Vegas police have issued a warrant for his DNA after Rape claim
  • Just had a look at the champions league top goalscorers this season, Ronaldo doesn't even feature in the top 25 goalscorers, whats gone wrong?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/champions-league/top-scorers
  • Just had a look at the champions league top goalscorers this season, Ronaldo doesn't even feature in the top 25 goalscorers, whats gone wrong?

He missed almost 2(?) whole games for suspension and a few teams have already played their second leg in the round of 16

He missed almost 2(?) whole games for suspension and a few teams have already played their second leg in the round of 16
    He has 1 goal in 6 games

Cant blame it on suspension or not playing 2nd leg

• Sponsored links:

• Well this is a surprise.

Cristiano Ronaldo will not face charges after being accused of sexual assault, US prosecutors say.

"Based upon a review of information at this time, the allegations of sexual assault against Cristiano Ronaldo cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. Therefore, no charges will be forthcoming."

• edited September 2019
    Anyone watched his interview with Piers Morgan yet? He actually comes across quite well. A normal bloke, who’s privileged to have a well paid job. 
  • James86 said:
    Anyone watched his interview with Piers Morgan yet? He actually comes across quite well. A normal bloke, who’s privileged to have a well paid job. 
    Always comes across well in interviews etc. But that doesn’t fit with the sensationalist media, then again that can be said about 90% of footballers. 

Strange decision by ITV to put it on when the Champions League kicked off. Surely your primary audience is football fans. 
  • James86 said:
    Yes, a good interview. 
  • Surprised me and I think himself to breakdown in tears when he was shown the video of his dad from before the Euro 2004 tournament.
    He’s a winner. Doesn’t believe in second. Always wants to win and out do himself. 
  • excellent interview.
  • Scored his 699th goal tonight, and unlike some all time greats they weren't in mickey mouse leagues either, or against nothing but minnow countries.

What's just as amazing is that he's now played 975 games and still looks in top condition. 161 international caps alone.
  • He won’t stop until he overtakes Ali Daei 
  • He won’t stop until he overtakes Ali Daei 
    Looking at some of the countries he played against, 17-0, 9-0 and 8-0 wins against the Maldives, 19-0 against Guam, 8-0 against Nepal and 7-0 against Laos (twice)!
  • Greatest player of all time.