Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Smart meters - what's the point?

Had one briefly which didn't work properly and didn't provide any useful info. Not sure how they are useful?

Comments

• Less admin for energy companies so they can see how much you’ve used whenever they want and can bill accurately. That’s it.
  • No one is going to defend the idea but surely something that had to be updated?

Someone knocking on your door to read your meter is surely a thing of the past?
  • All to do with overall consumption and peak periods etc 
    This way energy companies can more accurately predict when we're gonna run out
  • Confessions of a gas meter reader
  • Someone persuaded someone to invest a shed load of money in promoting this complete smart meter bollocks.
    The idea is you keep an eye on your energy bills and consumption.
    Duh.
    It is possible to do that without all this smart meter crap.
  • I'm totally against these smart meters, not because I don't think that we should all try and cut back on consumption but they ain't that smart, they are using false data to promote their use and we are all paying for them if we have them fitted or not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Many of them only work with one provider which can make it difficult to switch suppliers. I get inundated with cheerful call centre employees telling me it's my lucky day because my provider has decided not to charge me for installing one. That, or they do an assumed close by asking which of two dates would be better for you for them to install. Deny them to the end - meter readers need work, just like supermarket checkout workers. 
    Smart meters and "do the supermarkets' job for them" checkouts don't contribute to the economy by earning money and spending it, they just help the shareholders get more dividends.  Also, re the smart meter, why use electricity to see that your using electricity?
  • Saves the power companies the expense of employing loads of meter readers and we are paying for it. Nothing smart about it.
  • You need to use more energy to make them work, it's a con😢
  • another way for big brother to watch your every move .. soon, excess energy and water usage, will be criminal offences !!
  • another way for big brother to watch your every move .. soon, excess energy and water usage, will be criminal offences !!
    They don't provide a breakdown of where energy(elec) is being consumed so seem a bit pointless. How much money has been wasted on rolling them out?
  • No one is going to defend the idea but surely something that had to be updated?

Do mine on line once a month....takes 5 mins.
    Exactly, heard they were a bit rubbish, so avoided.
  • "Technology" is the solution to having to hire people knock on the door and ask to read the meter, a that's worked for decades.  

the technology doesn't do what it's supposed to do - not all smart meters are provider-agnostic - and it hasn't been rolled out across the country, so there are still people that are hired to knock on people's doors to read meters.  Tens of millions of homes and small businesses still don't have them. 

And people believe the government can come up  with a "technology" solution to the border in Ireland before November? 
  • Saves the power companies the expense of employing loads of meter readers and we are paying for it. Nothing smart about it.

surely if they had to employ these people they would also pass that cost on?
  • Had someone ring me the other week about arranging a fitting. Said I wasn't interested.

'But you can see how much you're using' she said.

OK so I'm going to put the washing machine on and watch the meter go round and round.

Maybe better than most things on the telly lately.

• Sponsored links:

Yes, the next version of smart meter comes with concealed camera and microphone to monitor your every move inside your own house and when no ones there.

Remember, Big Brother is watching you.

• Oggy Red said:
    another way for big brother to watch your every move .. soon, excess energy and water usage, will be criminal offences !!
    Yes, the next version of smart meter comes with concealed camera and microphone to monitor your every move inside your own house and when no ones there.

Oggy Red said:
    another way for big brother to watch your every move .. soon, excess energy and water usage, will be criminal offences !!

you may mock mush ((:>)
  • It's quite disturbing some of the activities of CL posters filmed by smart meters....
  • I aint having no meter smarter than wot I am!
  • You mean smarter than what you is.
  • On the flip side of all the comments, I've got one and actually like it. Doesn't do anything for me now but with some keen monitoring & adjusting of usage early doors of getting it I've knocked off about £150 from my annual bill.

I do the same but they still insist on coming round once a quarter. 

I do the same but they still insist on coming round once a quarter. 
    The suggestion being that they don't trust their own meters to be accurate?