Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best start to a second tier season since...

edited August 2019 in General Charlton
1999/2000 when we beat Barnsley at home 3-1 followed by a 1-0 victory over Norwich. Stat nicked from the tele.

Since then we've had some decent second tier starts: Luzon 15/16, Peeters 14/15, Powell 12/13 all of which gave us four points but this is the first time in twenty years that we've won our opening two (in the second tier).

Comments

• We ended that season as champions.
    no pressure Lee
  • 99/00 was two home games, obviously a bit easier to win two on the trot ...do we know the last time we won home and away in our first two games?
  • 93/94 we beat Birmingham 1-0 at home, followed by a 2-1 win at Portsmouth.  Then we lost 4-0 at Sunderland.
  • We ended that season as champions.
    no pressure Lee
    2 points ahead of Man City
  • edited August 2019
    99/00 was two home games, obviously a bit easier to win two on the trot ...do we know the last time we won home and away in our first two games?
    At any level, it was 2011/12.

3-0 (H) vs Bournemouth
    1-2 (A) vs Notts County

Ended the season as Champions...
  • Wow. The difference between those two teams. One established prem team the other non league and verging on going out of business 
  • It's the 2015/16 season that scares me and keeps me in check whenever I get too ahead of myself with this season's start. We started that one great; a 2-1 win against QPR, Watt looking unplayable, Kashi turning up as the new Kishishev, and Morgan Fox hilariously scoring. Two hard fought draws against decent teams in Derby and Forest followed with Watt again magnificent, followed by a Hull game so incredible I still smile thinking about it now. I also remember that evening thinking that team could really have a great season with the spirit the squad seemed to have and some smart additions to the squad like Bauer, Makienok and Kashi looking great. Literally the next match Kashi was injured before kick off and we never recovered for a minute. We didn't win for 12 games, that winking prick Fraeye came in and everything went straight to hell. With the exception of the Rotherham match where we briefly threatened to be a football team again and the Boro protest match on tv the rest of that season was a total disaster. I'm sure that won't happen this year, but still, it's keeping me grounded.

Also, it's just occurred to me that in that thoroughly depressing match against Brighton where we were 2-0 up after 5 minutes and went on to lose 3-2 at the death, the scorer of the winning goal that killed us and broke what little momentum Fraeye had going for him was Tomer Hemed. Heh.
  • It's the 2015/16 season that scares me and keeps me in check whenever I get too ahead of myself with this season's start. We started that one great; a 2-1 win against QPR, Watt looking unplayable, Kashi turning up as the new Kishishev, and Morgan Fox hilariously scoring. Two hard fought draws against decent teams in Derby and Forest followed with Watt again magnificent, followed by a Hull game so incredible I still smile thinking about it now. I also remember that evening thinking that team could really have a great season with the spirit the squad seemed to have and some smart additions to the squad like Bauer, Makienok and Kashi looking great. Literally the next match Kashi was injured before kick off and we never recovered for a minute. We didn't win for 12 games, that winking prick Fraeye came in and everything went straight to hell. With the exception of the Rotherham match where we briefly threatened to be a football team again and the Boro protest match on tv the rest of that season was a total disaster. I'm sure that won't happen this year, but still, it's keeping me grounded.

Also, it's just occurred to me that in that thoroughly depressing match against Brighton where we were 2-0 up after 5 minutes and went on to lose 3-2 at the death, the scorer of the winning goal that killed us and broke what little momentum Fraeye had going for him was Tomer Hemed. Heh.
    Hemed scored in both games against us that season. Kayal played in both matches, as did Dale Stephens. Adam Chicksen came on as a sub for Brighton in the first match. The second match was the beach ball protest...
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/34951482
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36060713

• 99/00 was two home games, obviously a bit easier to win two on the trot ...do we know the last time we won home and away in our first two games?
    At any level, it was 2011/12.

3-0 (H) vs Bournemouth
    1-2 (A) vs Notts County

Ended the season as Champions...
    Went for a beer in Greenwich after that Bournemouth game, was talking to a couple of their fans and football wise they were almost suicidal. They had owner problems, weak or no squad, the lot. All they could see was relegation, give it 3 or 4 years or so it had all changed, shows how it can go.