Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Selling Players At Proper Prices

I’m pretty peed off with continually and consistently selling players below their proper value, in fact when I think of Roland , a man I’ve never met i get really angry, and break out in Tourette’s in my head!

The latest player is Anfernee who I’m lead to believe is going to leave us for £2 million.,chances are in the next 2-3 years his worth will be 10 million plus, and he’ll be sold on.

Why is Roland so short bloody minded, it’s obvious he’s not selling us, and keeps moving the goal posts, on the price, dare I say it, (not Katrien) we need a ceo negotiating proper transfer fees.

We are basically underselling our players at below the market value, where is the vision and leadership coming from?
certainly not Belgium , Roland would sell his own grannie if he could even if it meant digging her up!

Comments

• edited August 2019
    I agree in principle, BUT never underestimate the influence of agents in looking for a nice percentage from any move and the long term earnings potential of their clients. How much influence can they exert on perhaps naïve and possibly greedy players, making it difficult for a club not to let him go, even if at well below 'market value' 
    I do not agree with this, BUT Boro are probably seen as a better promotion and long term successful bet than lil old CAFC
  • Brentford idea, buy young players cheap before they are completely ready from a club run by a crackpot, keep for a season then sell for a profit. KONSA for example
  • I am 50/50 on this tbh, I want to blame RD for it, but I cant really. Under any ownership it happens.  RD/we have been lucky/unlucky (delete as appropriate) with the volume over the last 5 years.  I'll do a proper analysis in a couple of hours but Mrs 4ever wants her tea 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I am 50/50 on this tbh, I want to blame RD for it, but I cant really. Under any ownership it happens.  RD/we have been lucky/unlucky (delete as appropriate) with the volume over the last 5 years.  I'll do a proper analysis in a couple of hours but Mrs 4ever wants her tea 
    I disagree, yes all clubs sell players, but we have sold Grant, Aribo, Bauer and Dijksteel in the past 8 months and got under £5M for the lot.

Noone else would have sold those 4 for so little
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I am 50/50 on this tbh, I want to blame RD for it, but I cant really. Under any ownership it happens.  RD/we have been lucky/unlucky (delete as appropriate) with the volume over the last 5 years.  I'll do a proper analysis in a couple of hours but Mrs 4ever wants her tea 
    I disagree, yes all clubs sell players, but we have sold Grant, Aribo, Bauer and Dijksteel in the past 8 months and got under £5M for the lot.

Neither Aribo or Bauer were sold. They left on a Bosman.
  • edited August 2019
    Cafc43v3r said:

We got less than 2 for Jenkinson, poyet, shelvey and Palmer 
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Few people would have offered Grant a contract last summer. We should have been sitting down with him in October time though after he started so well. 

Roland has a lot of blame regarding Aribo, reducing his offer last summer was disgraceful. Dijksteel similar, should have sat down and offered a proper contract straight after the play offs (at the latest). 

Bauer wasn't completely Roland's fault. Looked like he was going last summer. Not 100% sure what the offer was this summer so nobody can really say for certain, but we should have had a fighting chance.  

Konsa and Gomez were much worse than any of the above though. 
  • edited August 2019
    PopIcon said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Neither Aribo or Bauer were sold. They left on a Bosman.
    Which should never have happened, and woildnt have happened had we had a proper owner, both should have been offered contracts last summer 
    Do you think Bauer would have accepted a offer last summer? Highly doubtful, almost pretty much confirmed he wouldn't. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:

Few people would have offered Grant a contract last summer. We should have been sitting down with him in October time though after he started so well. 

Roland has a lot of blame regarding Aribo, reducing his offer last summer was disgraceful. Dijksteel similar, should have sat down and offered a proper contract straight after the play offs (at the latest). 

Bauer wasn't completely Roland's fault. Looked like he was going last summer. Not 100% sure what the offer was this summer so nobody can really say for certain, but we should have had a fighting chance.  

Konsa and Gomez were much worse than any of the above though. 
    Pretty sure we've been trying to get Dijksteel a contract for months, but I suspect there wasn't much enthusiasm at his end...I actually think £2m is a decent price for him, when you consider that we paid £300k for Purrington - if Dijksteel that much better, seeing that they are around the same age?

Aribo was a MASSIVE screw up by Roland

We were a bit unlucky with Grant, I don't know if we tried to get him to sign a new deal in October, it did seem that things went a bit pear shaped off the field around that time.

Konsa was a complete mystery, when everyone expected him to go a PL club (hoovering up any youngster with potential) instead he goes to Brentford, as if Roland took the first fire sale offer

Gomez was also a mystery, but I suspect his agent insisted on a fairly low transfer fee clause or else he wouldn't have signed that contract...

We got pretty lucky with Lookman though, considering that he wasn't an academy player
  • Kermorgant replaced by Reza and Polish Pete was the worst for me by a long way 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I am prepared to do a little bit more on this tomorrow, but now Mrs 43v3r is fed and watered I have a few minutes. A look at some of our academy players over the last 5 or 6 years. 

Rob Elliot last year of contract wouldn't resign, sold for £400k

Carl Jenkinson wouldn't resign but him and his dad wouldn't let us be screwed and increased Arsenal's offer. Hats off but still in the £1 million ball park?

Kasey Palmer, the goal keeper and Joe Gomez.  I have grouped these 3 together, and I can't remember the keepers name (he went to Arsenal iirc).  Two of them didn't sign pro contracts and left for pennies, one did but only on the basis he has a get out clause. Less than 4 million for all 3.

Lookman, £10 millionish for a league 1 player? Is it still a record?

JJ Shelvey.  Can't play in the last 5 or 6 games of the season, when we could have still got in the autos? Missed the play offs, still less than a million!!!!

Poyet, how the spivs let him play with out a proper contract God knows.  Peanuts then, a fortune looking at how is career has gone, its always 20:20

Jordan Cousins, one of 2 academy boys given a "proper" contract, was it to much? Did we HAVE to then sell him to get him off the wage bill? Intresting one. 

Grant, when, why and when would the 2 ever meet.  Been done to death, sold for about 1.5 million, to much and to little in less than a year.

Konsa.  He needed to leave when we didn't go up.  Very badly done, even if the need due to FFP, there are ways around that. A bit of a cock up.

Aribo what a total cocks arse of Roland's making.  Noone else to blame, total balls up, have 1 year to get a good deal, then another 6 months to do "a deal".

That's off the top of my head, the last player Charlton sold and I thought "we have had their pants down there" was probably Colin Pates. 
    Think we got good money for Darren Bent but yes recently we are getting knocked
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I am prepared to do a little bit more on this tomorrow, but now Mrs 43v3r is fed and watered I have a few minutes. A look at some of our academy players over the last 5 or 6 years. 

Carl Jenkinson wouldn't resign but him and his dad wouldn't let us be screwed and increased Arsenal's offer. Hats off but still in the £1 million ball park?

Kasey Palmer, the goal keeper and Joe Gomez.  I have grouped these 3 together, and I can't remember the keepers name (he went to Arsenal iirc).  Two of them didn't sign pro contracts and left for pennies, one did but only on the basis he has a get out clause. Less than 4 million for all 3.

JJ Shelvey.  Can't play in the last 5 or 6 games of the season, when we could have still got in the autos? Missed the play offs, still less than a million!!!!

Poyet, how the spivs let him play with out a proper contract God knows.  Peanuts then, a fortune looking at how is career has gone, its always 20:20

Jordan Cousins, one of 2 academy boys given a "proper" contract, was it to much? Did we HAVE to then sell him to get him off the wage bill? Intresting one. 

Grant, when, why and when would the 2 ever meet.  Been done to death, sold for about 1.5 million, to much and to little in less than a year.

Konsa.  He needed to leave when we didn't go up.  Very badly done, even if the need due to FFP, there are ways around that. A bit of a cock up.

Aribo what a total cocks arse of Roland's making.  Noone else to blame, total balls up, have 1 year to get a good deal, then another 6 months to do "a deal".

That's off the top of my head, the last player Charlton sold and I thought "we have had their pants down there" was probably Colin Pates. 
    Did ok with the sales of Nicky Bailey (£1.4m?), Morgan Fox (700k?)
  • Cafc43v3r said:

We sold the sell on for less than half it was worth, and would have been worth more of we stayed up. But you didn't think we did Spurs on that deal do you? 
  • Nick pope - 1 million
    Gudmundson - 2.5m?
    Dale Stephens - 1 million
    Michael Morrison. - Free?

Add up all the transfer money we should have got if we had been properly run in the last 5 years and Roland could probably have got his ridiculous asking price.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

We sold the sell on for less than half it was worth, and would have been worth more of we stayed up. But you didn't think we did Spurs on that deal do you? 
    I know it was before the Helmet era but didnt we get a pretty good deal for Bent? Im not sure what your question is
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I know it was before the Helmet era but didnt we get a pretty good deal for Bent? Im not sure what your question is
    My point was it was less than the market value, my question was in effect who was the last player we sold and you thought "we have had your pants down there".  Not having Morgan Fox BTW 
  • I would disagree it was below value, we bought him for about 4m and sold him for 20m. I think after spurs his value went down if anything.
    Trying to think of another we player we got a good price since then to be fair
  • Sponsored links:

• Duchatelet does not understand the business of football, but nor does he employ people who do. He seemed to be blissfully unaware of the effect of new TV deals which twisted further upwards the fees and wages, or the new regulations which put a premium on young English players. He does not seem to understand the role of benchmarking in the sale of assets, be they assets on two legs, or the club as a whole. He claimed contempt for agents, yet allowed Gomez' agent to negotiate an exclusive pre-sale deal which means that we sold the current first choice English centre back for the second best team in the country for £3.5m, while Manchester United have paid £80m for Harry Maguire. Most of the other sales listed above can be shown to be equally bad deals if you simply benchmark them against transfers of similar players.

If such towering financial incompetence was displayed by the chief executive of a publicly quoted company, such as, er, Melexis, the shareholders would be in revolt and said CEO would have to stand down. 

It is pertinent and telling that the video was unearthed today of Richard Murray talking about how Duchatelet would bring the stability that would mean we would not have to sell players like Carl Jenkinson again and get as little as £1.75m That was, what, eight years ago, since then the money into the English game has doubled. Today, under no threat of imminent financial collapse, we have sold Dijksteel for the same price. That is the Duchatelet hypocrisy and hubris in a nutshell.
    Couldn't agree more. It's clear that in his mind the value of the club is basically the property and the players are worth nothing.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

We got less than 2 for Jenkinson, poyet, shelvey and Palmer 
    The market has inflated significantly since then.. Palmer was poached under  soldEPPP not.
  • Poached under EPPP not sold.
  • I would disagree it was below value, we bought him for about 4m and sold him for 20m. I think after spurs his value went down if anything.
    Trying to think of another we player we got a good price since then to be fair
    How did his value go down? His highest transfer fee was when he joined Villa from Sunderland. 
  • edited August 2019
    So Konsa sold by Brentford to villa for 12 million.

Neal Maupay also of Brentford going to Brighton for £20 million, that’s £32 million for 2 players, who the heck have Brentford got doing their transfer deals, surely worth head hunting for a bag of skips and a bottle of water?

Apologies it’s a link to the sun, but here’s a bit about how they do it, just found on google.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9646986/brentford-rasmus-ankersen-fc-midtjylland/
  • vffvff
    edited August 2019
    Cafc43v3r said:

This should be a question for the next fans forum for LDT why does Duchatelet insist on selling off promising  players so cheaply, & too early  ? The players sold are a roll of shame. 
  • vff said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

This should be a question for the next fans forum for LDT why does Duchatelet insist on selling off promising  players so cheaply, & too early  ? The players sold are a roll of shame. 
    The fans forum is a waste of time - nobody listens.
  • The thing I find difficult is not getting upset when we sell players for way below their value. The natural reaction for 45 years has been feeling gutted when players go for a song - less money to re-invest. 

Now I know that the money will not be re-invested, and just go straight into RD's pocket, I have to remind myself that he is screwing himself over, and no-one else. 

So let them all go on a free as far as I am concerned...    
  • The thing I find difficult is not getting upset when we sell players for way below their value. The natural reaction for 45 years has been feeling gutted when players go for a song - less money to re-invest. 

Now I know that the money will not be re-invested, and just go straight into RD's pocket, I have to remind myself that he is screwing himself over, and no-one else. 

So let them all go on a free as far as I am concerned...    
    The man is a billionaire - the money is irrelevant to him and I don't understand why people think it is? I think his main aim at present is to sabotage the squad.

The way the club is being run is so illogical I can only assume he is primarily motivated by spite and vindictiveness. If he was as bothered by money as people claim he wouldn't run the club like this.

I don't think he is desperate to sell and I'm sure he's enjoying our pain.