Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

50th anniversary Moon landing

Comments

• Or the full movie .. including O J Simpson's second ever greatest hoax

https://youtu.be/qI2cCB7l0eo
  • Elliott Gould is a fantastic actor to make himself look so much like Stephen Mangan.
  • jakecafc said:
    I do think it happened but I think they forged the pictures etc to try and prove it. 
    There are no words
    Stanley Kubrick 
  • jakecafc said:
    I do think it happened but I think they forged the pictures etc to try and prove it. 
    So after all that effort to get there, instead of whipping out the camera to take a photo or record themselves they put a lot of time and money into making a pretend moon and taking photos there? 
  • NASA invented a time machine so they could go into the future and photoshop some fake pictures. 
  • I was 11 when that first moon walk happened and I remember the disappointment I felt because I wanted to be the first person to step onto the moon. Millions upon millions of little boys and girls dreamed of being astronauts at that time, I was not alone. It was a time of optimism for the future, but look at the state the world is in 50 years on - that promise of better things to come hasn't panned out.
  • bobmunro said:
    I quite like being me, but if I could choose to have been anyone else in my lifetime it would be Neil Armstrong.

Moon landing was before my time, but in my youth I always loved the fact I shared my first name with Neil Armstrong
    There seem to be a disproportionate amount of Neils on CL, barely meet any others in my day to day life.
    Why whats your name?
    North.
  • edited July 2019
    jakecafc said:
    There are no words
    Oh, there are... 😏

Edit - bollocks, thought i was being clever there, should have known Stig would beat me to it  😂
  • bobmunro said:
    I quite like being me, but if I could choose to have been anyone else in my lifetime it would be Neil Armstrong.

Moon landing was before my time, but in my youth I always loved the fact I shared my first name with Neil Armstrong
    There seem to be a disproportionate amount of Neils on CL, barely meet any others in my day to day life.
    Why whats your name?
    North.
    Duh!!... Of course!! ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2019
    Gammon said:
    My fiance works for the observatory and was asked lost of conspiracy theories to counter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewV3dBgTa5w&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1rKfsteMJRW2wbch3InYOuHNT5Fb7EkP5z8aY4r52ngoaIrO-TPiAdRYc

Weird,
    watched that clip this morning...

I thought at the time it was great to hear a south londonish accent explaining it...

• I was four and don’t remember it.  As for the hoax theory, it’s a bit like a load of other conspiracy theories. They sound convincing but soooooo many people would have to be involved that I simply don’t believe that the “truth” wouldn’t have emerged by now so I buy it. 
  • Like most conspiracy theories, it’s palpable bollocks...
  • I was just over a month old, apparently I was up and it was on, clearly I don't remember it.  It seems we will return the Chinese are planning on going by 2035 and Donald wants another USA flag on it during his second term so by 2024.  Space flight costs are falling as a result of Space X and Blue origin and reusablity so we will see another moon landing in the next 5-15 years I believe.  And then on to Mars.
  • Gammon said:
    My fiance works for the observatory and was asked lost of conspiracy theories to counter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewV3dBgTa5w&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1rKfsteMJRW2wbch3InYOuHNT5Fb7EkP5z8aY4r52ngoaIrO-TPiAdRYc

Weird,

I thought at the time it was great to hear a south londonish accent explaining it...

She's from norwich - brought her south from uni 
  • edited July 2019
    Gammon said:
    Gammon said:

Weird,

She's from norwich - brought her south from uni 
    In which case, you’ve trained her well...(and I did say “ish”)
  • 60% of Russians believe the landings were faked. What on Earth is wrong with that nation where they have to be lied to by their governments because they can’t be seen to be coming second. Lied to and have their own authorities sponsor state controlled cheating because they can’t be seen to be coming second. Weird and dangerous nation.
  • edited July 2019
    MrOneLung said:
    Was reading this week that they were not meant to do the walk until the next day but the astronauts were too wired to go to sleep so they brought it forward. 
    The BBC guy had a feeling they were gonna walk early and begged the BBC to broadcast after midnight for the first time so as not to miss anything and they walked about 3am UK time and showed live over here. 
    That is my recollection of it, and it meant that I missed it.  I was 16 but had parents who didn't like America and whinged regularly about the TV being on for anything they didn't want, anyway.

The explanation I've read is that NASA really wanted it to happen in the time window when the most Americans would be able to watch it, late evening on the eastern seaboard, but left it with the astronauts to decide if they wanted to go out that quickly, which they did. 

A big disappointment for me after catching the climaxes of most of the previous few missions...

---

Separately, Nikita Khruschev's son used to accompany his dad on a lot of his diplomatic missions (a safe ear to talk to, but officially NK's photographer).  The son, who is a highly qualified academic, maintains that his father was twice asked by JFK if the Soviet Union wanted to go halves on the whole moon landing project, in much the same way that they eventually collaborated on the ISS.  JFK would no doubt have been motivated by the huge cost of the project.  At the time, NK was unable politically to say yes, but he expected JFK to try again and had decided to say yes that time, but someone else decided JFK would not be given a third chance....

JFK was replaced by his hard-line conservative Democrat deputy, LBJ, who was very supportive of NASA, but as a source of national prestige, and wasn't going to share any space glory with the Soviets.  The whole idea was to demonstrate American technological superiority.

Who knows how JFK's initiative might have changed the world?  A shared moon landing could perhaps have taken a decade or more off the Cold War, and hence the life expectancy of the Soviet bloc.

• edited July 2019
    MrOneLung said:
    Was reading this week that they were not meant to do the walk until the next day but the astronauts were too wired to go to sleep so they brought it forward. 
    The BBC guy had a feeling they were gonna walk early and begged the BBC to broadcast after midnight for the first time so as not to miss anything and they walked about 3am UK time and showed live over here. 
    That is my recollection of it, and it meant that I missed it.  I was 16 but had parents who didn't like America and whinged regularly about the TV being on for anything they didn't want, anyway.

The explanation I've read is that NASA really wanted it to happen in the time window when the most Americans would be able to watch it, late evening on the eastern seaboard, but left it with the astronauts to decide if they wanted to go out that quickly, which they did. 

A big disappointment for me after catching the climaxes of most of the previous few missions...

---

Separately, Nikita Khruschev's son used to accompany his dad on a lot of his diplomatic missions (a safe ear to talk to, but officially NK's photographer).  The son, who is a highly qualified academic, maintains that his father was twice asked by JFK if the Soviet Union wanted to go halves on the whole moon landing project, in much the same way that they eventually collaborated on the ISS.  JFK would no doubt have been motivated by the huge cost of the project.  At the time, NK was unable politically to say yes, but he expected JFK to try again and had decided to say yes that time, but someone else decided JFK would not be given a third chance....

JFK was replaced by his hard-line conservative Democrat deputy, LBJ, who was very supportive of NASA, but as a source of national prestige, and wasn't going to share any space glory with the Soviets.  The whole idea was to demonstrate American technological superiority.

Who knows how JFK's initiative might have changed the world?  A shared moon landing could perhaps have taken a decade or more off the Cold War, and hence the life expectancy of the Soviet bloc.

It might have shut up the conspiracy nutcases too... :D 

Actually it is related to one of the three solid-as-a-rock cornerstones of my response to deniers. Hight of the cold war, USA beats USSR to the moon and they never questioned it - they denied there ever was a space race to the moon (which was a lie) - but as far as I know, neither the Soviet government at the time, nor any Russian (or Chinese for that matter) government since has said it didn't happen.         

EDIT: Just found this article. 

https://www.history.com/news/space-race-soviet-union-moon-landing-denial

• I watched First Man yesterday and although i thought it was a bit 'meh' i didn't realise Armstrong lost his daughter when she was 2. Also the loss of lives in testing for the mission i wasn't aware of.

Truly remarkable achievement.
  • Sponsored links:

• The moon landings, as with all space exploration is the very best of the human race.  The absolutely mind boggling science that goes into all space exploration is something my brain cannot comprehend, but I will gobble up all of it.  I feel privileged to share in all that we have achieved when it comes to mapping out our universe and the knowledge we have.  

I think anyone who has worked on or contributed to what we have achieved deserves the highest recognition 
  • I'm late to this but try and see the Apollo 11 documentary on a big screen. Stunning. 
  • I watched First Man yesterday and although i thought it was a bit 'meh' i didn't realise Armstrong lost his daughter when she was 2. Also the loss of lives in testing for the mission i wasn't aware of.

Truly remarkable achievement.
    I watched it too, along with some of the other documentaries over the weekend (Professor Cox & Dara O'Brien surperb) and something that I had never thought of before (and makes me sound rather stupid) is that I never realised how much planning & testing NASA did in the years leading up to it. I have just naively thought they built the rocket & flew it to the moon. Didnt realise that they tested take offs, orbiting & re-entry. That Armstrong actually tested landing the LM in a contraption straight out of a  James Bond film......and almost got himself killed doing it, and then getting into a capsule that he knew killed 3 of his close friends. Hats off to them all. 
  • I was 15 at the time and remember the whole event very well. An unbelievable achievement carried out by men of remarkable bravery and conviction. Read an interesting article this weekend where it is suggested that future exploration could be carried out by robots, which makes sense.

as for the theory they never went. Someone once said that conspiracy theories are a mechanism for stupid people to make themselves sound clever. Couldn’t agree more
  • Would love to see a Mars landing in my lifetime but, unless there is a cultural and/or political change in the US I can’t see it. NASA’s budget is currently something like 0.4% of GDP vs 4% during the space race. Maybe if China start looking like landing on Mars/the Moon the US will change its attitude.
  • Great radio programme about it: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0006zlw

I loved James Burke as a kid, I guess he was the Cox of his era.
  • Stig said:
    Great radio programme about it: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0006zlw

But do you love Cox ?
  • se9addick said:
    Would love to see a Mars landing in my lifetime but, unless there is a cultural and/or political change in the US I can’t see it. NASA’s budget is currently something like 0.4% of GDP vs 4% during the space race. Maybe if China start looking like landing on Mars/the Moon the US will change its attitude.
    See where you are coming from and in a perfect world I would agree with you. 
    But planet earth is going to need every penny we have over the next ten years what with climate change and an ever-growing population. 
    Mars unfortunately will have to wait. 
  • Stig said:
    Great radio programme about it: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0006zlw

But do you love Cox ?
    A gentleman never tells.