Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

50th anniversary Moon landing

50 years ago today Neil Armstrong (and Buzz Aldrin) stepped on to the moon.

Did you watch it live and what was it like seeing it? Must have been really exciting but with media coverage being so different to what it is today I wonder what the level of interest was.

Do you think we will return to the moon, and should we? Or even focus on Mars, and will we see a manned landing there in our lifetimes?

Or are you one of the people that think the Moon landings were all staged and it was all an elaborate plot to beat the Russians?

Comments

• I was 16 and watched it live, we were playing cricket away to cobham, always a very sociable event, ended up for a few beers in a pud, black and ehite tele was on, landlord at 11pm decided he wanted his bed, so asked us to leave, he went to bed on the understanding we paid for all the drink that was drunk, which obviously we did, we ended up leaving around 5am. Both teams are still barred from the pub, which seemed harsh. I was really into it, watched the launch and the return as well. I believe it happened but I know other who think it was a hoax, just can’t see that myself,
  • bobmunro said:
    If I could choose to have been anyone else in my lifetime it would be Neil Armstrong.

hey bob, would make a good separate thread if you throw that open
  • edited July 2019
    I was 8.

I was woken up to come downstairs and watch the actual first step.

It's hard to convey just how significant it was at the time and what a "giant leap" it was thought to be.  The landing was going to be just the beginning.

I have a small lingering sense of disappointment that it wasn't.

It was huge at the time with hours of television devoted to all the Appolo missions. More than anything these days as there were just three channels.

As for the "it's a fake" some people really, really need to get out more.

PS I was doing a house clearance in about 1980 and there was a moonrock paperweight.  I was tempted to pocket it but that would have been theft. Still wish I owned it now.
  • bobmunro said:
    I quite like being me, but if I could choose to have been anyone else in my lifetime it would be Neil Armstrong.

Moon landing was before my time, but in my youth I always loved the fact I shared my first name with Neil Armstrong
  • bobmunro said:
    I quite like being me, but if I could choose to have been anyone else in my lifetime it would be Neil Armstrong.

Moon landing was before my time, but in my youth I always loved the fact I shared my first name with Neil Armstrong
    There seem to be a disproportionate amount of Neils on CL, barely meet any others in my day to day life.
  • Wasn’t yet 5 years old so don’t remember much.  Clearest memory is of being dragged down stairs to see them lift-off from the moon on their way home, but can’t recollect seeing the step live.  Much clearer  memories of subsequent missions especially Apollo 13
  • bobmunro said:

Did he use it?
  • I was six years old and have vague recollection of the event, probably the most famous event in history. We will go back and i hope i will be around to see it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fumbluff said:
    bobmunro said:

Did he use it?
    3 days on, 4 days off 
  • bobmunro said:

There seem to be a disproportionate amount of Neils on CL, barely meet any others in my day to day life.
    Why whats your name?
  • I was four and don't remember watching it at the time - not sure if that's because I didn't see it or or just can't remember (increasingly the way of things). For many years after though, I had a poster of this picture on my bedroom wall:

• Good show on Ch4 tonight showing the landing and the reactions around the world. All from archive material.
  • The level of interest was huge.  It was hard to find someone who hadn't made the effort to watch it.

I'm really surprised that I never knew (or have forgotten) about the concern over Luna 15, the Russian craft that was in orbit at the same time.  Luna 15 eventually crashed (or was crashed) onto the Moon's surface.   It seems the Russian's wanted to bring back Moon rock, (albeit from this unmanned craft) before the Americans could in a desperate bid to conjure up some kudos.  It really was a Space race ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2019/07/19/soviets-tried-beat-apollo-they-crashed-spacecraft-moon-instead/?utm_term=.49dfa28e9f9a
  • Some brilliant memories on here - cheers guys. Must have been so exciting to be around when it happened and hope I get to see a Moon landing happening again in my lifetime, or maybe even a Mars one.
  • Was reading this week that they were not meant to do the walk until the next day but the astronauts were too wired to go to sleep so they brought it forward. 
    The BBC guy had a feeling they were gonna walk early and begged the BBC to broadcast after midnight for the first time so as not to miss anything and they walked about 3am UK time and showed live over here. 
  • Sponsored links:

• whatever did they do with that massive Mojave desert film set ?
  • I happened to be in hospital at the time and most of the nurses and patients sat up all night to watch in the "TV room".

I can remember the stink of cigarette smoke on my clothes afterwards!
    They moved it to Roswell to make the resident aliens feel at home, before storing it in the Twin Towers, safe in the knowledge that they'd be able to destroy the evidence in due course.
  • Davo55 said:
    I was 13, almost 14 and completely transfixed by the whole mission, as I had been during the entire Apollo programme. Despite the cold war, Vietnam and huge social changes it felt like a time of optimism, that anything was possible. I still feel a little disappointed that, apart from the Space Shuttle, we haven't really lived up to that early promise of conquering space. I think I must have read too many comics!

I had the amazing privilege of meeting and shaking hands with Neil Armstrong in 2008. I was at a company sales conference/event in Las Vegas and the great man was our guest speaker. He was very down to earth (pardon the pun) and seemed like a genuinely nice guy, as well as hugely impressive, of course. I was very saddened when he passed away.
    I can remember a feeling of disappointment too that the moon missions didn't continue. The pace might not have been the same and their profile is never the same, but there have been some fantastic unmanned missions: Cassini, Galileo, Mariner, Voyager... In some ways I think the unmanned missions are better as they tend to be more focussed on science for science sake rather than science for political/power sake.
  • jakecafc said:
    I do think it happened but I think they forged the pictures etc to try and prove it. 
    There are no words
    Back in the '80s there seemed to be some weight of opinion (at least numbers wise, if not intellectually) that the moon landings were staged. We don't tend to hear much of it nowadays. Have the debunkers have been debunked?

Any luna landing deniers out there?  
  • jakecafc said:
    I do think it happened but I think they forged the pictures etc to try and prove it. 
    There are no words
    Oh, but there are!  :wink: