Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Anyone want to buy a flat in a quiet, sought-after street?

And no, I'm not the one who's selling it, but I bet the estate agents are hoping they get the sale through before August, when potential purchasers will be able to spot the obvious flaw in the sales hype https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-71496277.html

Comments

• edited July 2019
    That is frightening, third of a million for that.
    Got a three bed house in Strood thats just been valued as part of my remortgage for £245k and thats gone up from the £165k that I paid for it in Apr 2015

And thats a property without a driveway - Want one of those down this way and your looking at the same sort of price as that flat!!

Great live there and you get cheaper travel into London... thats the sole benefit though!
  • I used to own a flat in Charlton quite close to the ground.

I moved in 1985, the roads got considerably quieter not that long after. I moved a few years later, I never really was able to take advantage of living so close to the ground. I would have loved to have kept hold of that flat, just for match days alone.

• Prices in Charlton are cheaper by South London standards. That price would get you a one bed flat in Lewisham.
  • ridiculous prices
  • Prices in Charlton are cheaper by South London standards. That price would get you a one bed flat in Lewisham.
    Doubtful, my place is a 1 bed flat, 2 balconies and offstreet parking, a 4 min walk from the station and is 385k
  • Sponsored links:

• Ask what the neighbour is like. He an old Belgian guy who never there.
  • Think I posted on here a couple of years ago that I nearly bought a flat in the big tower block overlooking The Valley. The kitchen window faced out onto the pitch.

That was going for about 280k but the Grenfell Tower fire happened about the same time, and I was advised that selling it in future would be very difficult as banks wouldn’t provide mortgages for it, on top of the fact it is ex-council / bought from concrete in the 60s etc.

When I pulled out as a result, I saw the price drop online for about another 40k very quickly and eventually I don’t think it was even sold. 
  • Seriously for a moment. I wonder if a potential buyer has done the usual google street thing & scrolled up & down the road only to find a flaming big football stadium a few hundred yards away.

I wonder if the EA be done for mis-representation when they say "quite location"..... ??

• in recent years it has been a quiet location most midweek night's you wouldn't even realise we were playing at home. 
  • Seriously for a moment. I wonder if a potential buyer has done the usual google street thing & scrolled up & down the road only to find a flaming big football stadium a few hundred yards away.

I wonder if the EA be done for mis-representation when they say "quite location"..... ??

You don't even really need to do that, as it's obvious from the main description page that it's next to something with a large footprint, and when you click on the "Map and Street View" tab, the Valley is specifically labelled. You'd have to be especially thick not to notice.
  • I'd hardly call having the floodlights on........... "Natural Light"  :)
  • aliwibble said:

Seriously for a moment. I wonder if a potential buyer has done the usual google street thing & scrolled up & down the road only to find a flaming big football stadium a few hundred yards away.

You don't even really need to do that, as it's obvious from the main description page that it's next to something with a large footprint, and when you click on the "Map and Street View" tab, the Valley is specifically labelled. You'd have to be especially thick not to notice.
    Dunno... People purchase with Gatwick and Heathrow on their door step and complain about aircraft noise
  • Buy to let 
    @ about £1400 a month i reckon.
  • sam3110 said:
    Prices in Charlton are cheaper by South London standards. That price would get you a one bed flat in Lewisham.
    Doubtful, my place is a 1 bed flat, 2 balconies and offstreet parking, a 4 min walk from the station and is 385k
    Make the lounge a bedroom and stick a chair in the kitchen and hey presto, a two bedroom flat!

It seems to be what they have done.

It’s not as if they are living next to Old Trafford. Not much different from living near a half busy high street on a Saturday afternoon really.
  • Sponsored links:

• cafctom said:

Seriously for a moment. I wonder if a potential buyer has done the usual google street thing & scrolled up & down the road only to find a flaming big football stadium a few hundred yards away.

It’s not as if they are living next to Old Trafford. Not much different from living near a half busy high street on a Saturday afternoon really.
          Wait until Leeds & Milwall are in town. It will more like resemble downtown Buruit than Bexleyheath. 
  • aliwibble said:

Not everyone follows football & wouldn't necessarily know that The Valley meant a football ground. 
  • Yes, I liked the "quiet location" suggestion which implies estate agents have no idea about the area.  Even for an unpopular mid-week game, it's not my definition of a "quiet location"
  • edited July 2019
    Even when there is no football on at all it’s not exactly a leafy paradise is it? 
  • don't forget the odours wafting up from the take away shops below .. I reckon this flat on a leasehold is worth EVERY penny

of £50,000
  • sam3110 said:
    Prices in Charlton are cheaper by South London standards. That price would get you a one bed flat in Lewisham.
    In Charlton? 

Here's a one bed in the heart of Bleckheath village, SE 13 for £545k! :smiley:
  • sam3110 said:
    In Charlton? 

No, in Lewisham
  • sam3110 said:
    In Charlton? 

Looks like a posh hotel room!!
  • sam3110 said:
    In Charlton? 

the flat is actually in Lewisham S E 13, tucked behind St Margaret's church at the top of Belmont Hill. Blackheath village and station are probably a good 15/20 min walk away  .. nice area (I used to live just round the corner) BUT not quite Blackheath ((:>)
  • sam3110 said:
    In Charlton? 

the flat is actually in Lewisham S E 13, tucked behind St Margaret's church at the top of Belmont Hill. Blackheath village and station are probably a good 15/20 min walk away  .. nice area (I used to live just round the corner) BUT not quite Blackheath ((:>)
    Don’t you know that, according to SE London estate agents, Blackheath now has a radius of 87,000 sq miles.