Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Patrick Bauer (**Confirmed Leaving Pg 2**)

Comments

• Shame but we have lost better players in the last few years, gomez and lookman for example... Only interested in players who want to play for Charlton. Assume he's off to Blackburn, will cheer him on his return. 
  • Disappointing that given the academy lauded status there seems nobody in U23s ready to step up. Gomez, Jenkinson, Konsa, Ajayi even Thomas have come through the ranks in recent years but now nobody. Anyone watch U18s?
  • Players come and players go, wish him all the best, not many players who have left us can boast their last touch in an Addicks shirt was so important.  Can he be replaced of course, our squad was always going to have to be rebuilt, just hope takeover happens before the end of this transfer window as the next one is many a defeat away but we know with Bowyer & JJ the team spirit will be top notch.

Total support to the team not the Belgian negotiator cluster **ck.
  • Wish you all the best Patrick. Thanks for the memories. 
  • I thought it was definitely Preston? Their fans seem to think so. 
  • edited June 2019
    andre bikey on his way back  :'(:) only joking
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2019
    Wish him well be interesting to see why he is going ... 
  • Money move 
  • I'm afraid a 27 year old has decided to accept a potential 15k a week over 5k at Cafc. If the offer was only 2 or 3 grand a week more then I think Pat and his partner and new baby would have stayed down south. But 300% rise was just too much to turn down. 
  • edited June 2019
    Well, fair enough and difficult to argue. Just disappointed and takes a little of the gloss off that Wembley moment for me. Probably more to do with the state of football than anything personal re Bauer. But I'm afraid it just sticks in my throat to wish him every success at a direct rival. Hope Taylor and ano tear him a new one!
  • Bauer has been a true pro through sone terrible times at Charlton, has always given his all and done his best. Very sound championship defender who should have been offered a contract or at least had talks during the current season. To expect him to stay now is unfortunately unreasonable.

Good luck Patrick and hope it works at your new club. Thanks for all your efforts here at charlton. 
  • I'll tell you what has made me a bit sad upon reflection and I bet this doesn't happen to many sides. If we do lose Aribo, that means the last 3 players to make the passage of play for our winner will be gone. Aribo to Cullen to Bauer. Can also say Purrington as well for the first. 

• Sponsored links:

• Am I the only one who is a little upset by this as his decision? Money over loyalty to Bowyer and co imo? 
    It's interesting isn't it. Bauer is being sent on his way with best wishes, despite leaving to a team in the same division for free. Compare that o the reaction Grant got for moving to the Premier League for a fee.

I used to get very upset at players leaving, but now I;m older I respect anyone's right to move on in their life to try an better their circumstances. Some decisions pan out, others don't but Paddy's handled himself pretty well, early season tweets aside, and if he feels this is the best thing for him and his family - good luck to him.

I am disappointed we're losing the only player currently in our squad with a track record of playing well at Championship level
  • I am more than old enough to know better. Can't help feeling disappointed. 
  • Am I the only one who is a little upset by this as his decision? Money over loyalty to Bowyer and co imo? 
    It's interesting isn't it. Bauer is being sent on his way with best wishes, despite leaving to a team in the same division for free. Compare that o the reaction Grant got for moving to the Premier League for a fee.

I used to get very upset at players leaving, but now I;m older I respect anyone's right to move on in their life to try an better their circumstances. Some decisions pan out, others don't but Paddy's handled himself pretty well, early season tweets aside, and if he feels this is the best thing for him and his family - good luck to him.

I am disappointed we're losing the only player currently in our squad with a track record of playing well at Championship level
    Difference is Bauer saw it through to the end and became the Wembley hero. It's not even about being the Wembley hero it's the fact he remained professional and knew that offers would still be on the table for him at the end of his contract.

The same would have applied to Grant had he stayed i'm sure the fans would have wished him all the best if he'd stayed and helped us to get promoted, teams would have come in for him anyway.

Look at the whole day at Wembley and what Grant missed out on. A chance to have a promotion put on his CV instead he gets a relegation with Huddersfield, I just hope the smell of all the extra money was worth it for Grant in the end as we both find ourselves in The Championship next season.

Bauer for seeing it through can at least be applauded for seeing out his contract. Grant meanwhile...? will he even get clapped when his name is read out at The Valley?
  • Oggy Red said:
    Am I the only one who is a little upset by this as his decision? Money over loyalty to Bowyer and co imo? 

Look at the whole day at Wembley and what Grant missed out on. A chance to have a promotion put on his CV instead he gets a relegation with Huddersfield, I just hope the smell of all the extra money was worth it for Grant in the end as we both find ourselves in The Championship next season.

Grant got the chance to play half a season in the Premiership - and finish as his new club's leading goalscorer.

That will be on his CV also. 
    Fair enough but all the extra money in the world can't buy what happened at Wembley.
  • I'll tell you what has made me a bit sad upon reflection and I bet this doesn't happen to many sides. If we do lose Aribo, that means the last 3 players to make the passage of play for our winner will be gone. Aribo to Cullen to Bauer. Can also say Purrington as well for the first. 

And didn't Parker win the free kick, taken quickly by Williams (I think) who fed Cullen in the lead up to Bauer's goal?

That just leaves Pearce who made the final clearing header and our last competitive touch, and he's widely reported to be off. 

Players always move on I know, and shorter contracts and loans nowadays make this ever more frequent, but still!  

The last six Charlton players to touch the ball, plus our other goalscorer, in our promotion winning game all likely gone before the next competitive match! If anything amplifies the predicament we are in and takes the gloss off that amazing day. 

As things stand if Bowyer and his management team keep us up next season it will be a greater achievement than what he's just delivered.

I'm so glad he's still with us. 
  • Cant blame him to be honest, but even with the smallest budget in the Championship I believe Bows, Jacko, Marshall and Gallen will have us in the top 10. Good luck BFG except when you play us and I hope Taylor tears you a new one.
  • What did he ever do for us?

All the best Pat, will never forget ‘that goal’ at Wembley, even though I was in the loo when it went in.
    I thought you were in Asda
  • All that team spirit , get behind the boys etc and off they all go , understandably , in to the footballing sunset before the warm glow of Wembley has fully left our bodies.
    the romance of them all really wanting to play and stay together never really existed except in our dreams .
    such is life supporting a modern day team with a prick for an owner .
    this is why 87 and 98 will always feel better to me than 19 because we were at the top table, with a little ambition (admittedly homeless in 87) to make a go of it in the top flight and there wasn’t much better for the players to go on to .
    this season finished with the clusterfunk ownership leaving the playing state precariously placed and a real tough ask for our footballing management to stay up.
    good luck Patrick you’re prolly best off out of our freak show