Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Joe Aribo

Comments

• I HATE Roland for what he has done tou our club. He could have paid them good wages and made a huge sell on clauses. We get a poultry £300,000 for him (well that bloke does). whilst he destroys our team completely.  Idiot doesn't know what he is in front of him.  Piss off. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I hope Roland hasn't taken the bait on this one. I was hoping we could actually keep a performing prospect for one summer.

He's out of contract. What bait ?
  • eh i'm not so sure it's a terrible move, he's playing for the 2nd biggest club in Scotland, with a world class midfielder as the manager and will be surrounded by better players than here. He doesn't need to stay for long, only a few years and then if he's good enough, move to a better league like the prem. 
    I’m really not sure that he’ll be “surrounded by better players than here”. Based on last seasons squads I don’t think there’s much in it, what our squad will look like in August is of course dependent on what happens with this takeover. 
  • To be honest doesnt bother me too much where he goes... We were never going to see any of the money and this is just screwing up Roland as he could have got more but doesnt deserve it

i.e. Does anyone seriously expect Joe to be here come the end of the month even if he does sign a new deal - Imagine Roland would sell him regardless and reckon Joe feels that way too
  • If he had not been with us he would not have been playing men’s football and would not have developed as quickly. We are not a bloody charity. I don’t go with all this I don’t blame the player crap. Gomez signed a contract to ensure that we got a fee. Aribo could do the same, and that would be the right thing to do. It would also so sort out the ‘we will give it a punt’ from the actually want him to play for them.

I assume he hasn’t watched much Scottish football. It is much more physical and the referees let a lot more go. It really isn’t the place for him to go. If he wants to leave he really should opt for a top championship club, even if it meant less money. At his age he has a lot to learn, but he will get a bumper deal when he moves to a Premiership club. Plenty of time for him, but I guess his agent wants his fee now and will get a tad more because of the derisory fee we will get.
  • Other than financially this move would make no sense whatsoever.Their are two teams in Scotland,the rest are league 1 or lower championship at best.The games against celtic will be the only ones that will be played in any sort of atmosphere,compared to the championship,where there are many clubs who get regular 20-25000 attendances.Joe ,go if you must,but you could better than this.
  • eh i'm not so sure it's a terrible move, he's playing for the 2nd biggest club in Scotland, with a world class midfielder as the manager and will be surrounded by better players than here. He doesn't need to stay for long, only a few years and then if he's good enough, move to a better league like the prem. 
    He will be playing in a poor league against poor sides - he'd get better experience in the Championship.
    The smart move (imho) would be to convince him to sign a 2-year contract and pay him £20k/week, which is not even the average wage in this division. Yes, it is a million per year, but compared to options, that is not unreasonable for his age and quality and attention from PL clubs. Then, once the scouts descend into the Valley to watch him play this coming season, sell him this time next year for £3-5M. I think that would actually happen and thus he becomes a profit center, plus we get him for one more year. Win... win. That transfer money can then be used to buy three young, outstanding players in from League One, which should be our strategy anyway, in my opinion.
    Of course, this is impossible with Roland, but with a smart owner, it would work out.
    What's the average wage in this division? 20k sounds like a lot.
  • edited June 2019
    Hang on a sec, karlan was linked with rangers and didn't end up there?

Could just be agent / paper talk?
  • PopIcon said:
    eh i'm not so sure it's a terrible move, he's playing for the 2nd biggest club in Scotland, with a world class midfielder as the manager and will be surrounded by better players than here. He doesn't need to stay for long, only a few years and then if he's good enough, move to a better league like the prem. 
    He will be playing in a poor league against poor sides - he'd get better experience in the Championship.
    The smart move (imho) would be to convince him to sign a 2-year contract and pay him £20k/week, which is not even the average wage in this division. Yes, it is a million per year, but compared to options, that is not unreasonable for his age and quality and attention from PL clubs. Then, once the scouts descend into the Valley to watch him play this coming season, sell him this time next year for £3-5M. I think that would actually happen and thus he becomes a profit center, plus we get him for one more year. Win... win. That transfer money can then be used to buy three young, outstanding players in from League One, which should be our strategy anyway, in my opinion.
    Of course, this is impossible with Roland, but with a smart owner, it would work out.
    The average is pretty warped by those with squads still on prem wages, some of the Villa team were still on close to £100K per week.

Realistically the average for a Championship player should be no more than 10K.
  • Sponsored links:

• Redrobo said:
    If he had not been with us he would not have been playing men’s football and would not have developed as quickly. We are not a bloody charity. I don’t go with all this I don’t blame the player crap. Gomez signed a contract to ensure that we got a fee. Aribo could do the same, and that would be the right thing to do. It would also so sort out the ‘we will give it a punt’ from the actually want him to play for them.

I assume he hasn’t watched much Scottish football. It is much more physical and the referees let a lot more go. It really isn’t the place for him to go. If he wants to leave he really should opt for a top championship club, even if it meant less money. At his age he has a lot to learn, but he will get a bumper deal when he moves to a Premiership club. Plenty of time for him, but I guess his agent wants his fee now and will get a tad more because of the derisory fee we will get.
    Seems to be becoming a myth that Gomez signed a deal right before he left for Liverpool. He signed a deal around the start of the 14/15 season and was sold after that season had finished.

Roland failed to get Aribo signed up last summer, before he had become a regular in the side and added goals to his game.

Wasn’t there talk of Roland changing his mind and halving what he had offered?

How often do players sign a deal before being sold? Why would Aribo’s concern be the fee we receive? Did we even pay a fee to Staines when we signed him?
  • Daily Mail says Rangers have offered him 20k p/w.
  • Staines Town would be desperately hoping for a sell-on fee.  They stopped paying their players half-way through the season so I believe most left and they were playing amateurs, resulting in regular double digit defeats.  A shame for a side even now seventh or eighth tier and produced Marcus Gayle as well as Joe.
  • edited June 2019
    ross1 said:
    Swisdom said:
    He is keen to stay but his agent is employed to get him the best deal possible.  He has been watched by West Ham and Tottenham as a minimum but has the same agent as Sancho and Lookman (hence the Germany links previously arose)

If your options were "You can stay at Charlton and earn maybe 6k a week OR you could go to the Premier League, fight for a place but be surrounded by superb players every single day and give yourself financial security for the rest of your life on a minimum£20k a week"

What would you do?  Would you back yourself? would you stick with £250k - £300k a year or go for a minimum £1m a year bearing in mind a couple of years ago you were probably on a couple of hundred pounds a week.
    Would you stick at a club who appear to be in turmoil behind the scenes or would you go and be pampered in the top flight.

We need to get promoted to even stand a chance of him sticking around - but even then it is unlikely

*Figures are guesswork but in the right ballpark
    I like Aribo but there's no way he's a Premier League player at the moment. 
    That is what everybody said about Grant and Pope
    I may also have changed my mind since then - I never questioned Pope at all fyi.
  • edited June 2019
    The lure of being coached by one of the premier league great midfielders would be pretty strong for a young player. Really hope he stays but wish him well if he goes to learn under Gerrard for a season or 2.
    Lee Bowyer?
  • edited June 2019
    Scoham said:
    Redrobo said:
    If he had not been with us he would not have been playing men’s football and would not have developed as quickly. We are not a bloody charity. I don’t go with all this I don’t blame the player crap. Gomez signed a contract to ensure that we got a fee. Aribo could do the same, and that would be the right thing to do. It would also so sort out the ‘we will give it a punt’ from the actually want him to play for them.

Seems to be becoming a myth that Gomez signed a deal right before he left for Liverpool. He signed a deal around the start of the 14/15 season and was sold after that season had finished.

Roland failed to get Aribo signed up last summer, before he had become a regular in the side and added goals to his game.

Wasn’t there talk of Roland changing his mind and halving what he had offered?

How often do players sign a deal before being sold? Why would Aribo’s concern be the fee we receive? Did we even pay a fee to Staines when we signed him?
    Redrobo, Aribo turned down a contract offer a year ago.
    I think it's a reasonable assumption that it wouldn't have been a generous offer.
    RD allegedly then thought to himself.
    You know what as Aribo's turned down my offer I think I'd better give him a reduced offer, because that'll work.
  • Hang on a sec, karlan was linked with rangers and didn't end up there?

Could just be agent / paper talk?
    Perhaps it's not Aribo. It's Josh Parker that Rangers really want?
  • He has the official tick. We all know what Done Deal means...
  • Can understand Joe going to Rangers if that money is being offered. Plus he gets the opportunity to play in the old firm etc, but what a waste of footballing talent. A move almost guaranteed to stall his progress as a player.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2019
    it is a terrible football decision, putting his career back at least a year but £20k a week is a lot of money. I hate to see it because I think the lad has a special talent and this is not the way to develop it. But you do have to understand it!

Scottish football is complete rubbish - always has been apart from Celtic in the late 60s and always will be.

If the lad believed in himself he could have been playing Premiership football by January!
  • PopIcon said:
    eh i'm not so sure it's a terrible move, he's playing for the 2nd biggest club in Scotland, with a world class midfielder as the manager and will be surrounded by better players than here. He doesn't need to stay for long, only a few years and then if he's good enough, move to a better league like the prem. 
    The average is pretty warped by those with squads still on prem wages, some of the Villa team were still on close to £100K per week.

PopIcon said:

Widely quoted average for champ footballer is 25k.  Around 5 years ago it was said to be 12-14k.  Whilst it is skewed by ex-prem teams you can bet agents will be pushing for 25k+ for any wanted players.

I remember the year before Jordan's Palace went into receivership, he said that bog standard champ footballers wanted at least 10k a week.  This was pretty much born out around that time. When we tried to sign Chris O'Grady after his only good season in the champ, he was asking for 12-14k a week.  Signed for Brighton and subsequently scored 4 goals in 3 champ seasons.  For an established champ player it is now way higher than 10k. 
  • edited June 2019

This Instagram account claims Aribo is close to signing a new deal as he isn’t ready for a big move. Says the source is NewsNow, but I can’t see anything on there that suggests he’ll actually sign.
  • edited June 2019
  • If aribo stays it’s a sign to me the right people will own us if he goes then those with little funds are going to win 
  • Rangers fly out to Portugal on Saturday so something needs to happen soon if he's going to be part of that.
  • If he stays and Roland doesnt sell then he'll be gone in January
  • If aribo stays it’s a sign to me the right people will own us if he goes then those with little funds are going to win 
    Or if he does go, that he doubts Roly will ever manage to conclude the sale.
  • Scoham said:

This Instagram account claims Aribo is close to signing a new deal as he isn’t ready for a big move. Says the source is NewsNow, but I can’t see anything on there that suggests he’ll actually sign.
     Not sure if to believe that.

A Rangers insta account just a few days ago said Aribo had signed for them lol.

These accounts are normally some spotty teen in their room haha