Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

DAKs Over Normandy

The 75th D-Day Commemorations are upon us 6/6/19.
Today 35 Dakotas will be repeating the route taken by our Paras on 5/6/19. Although over 500 Daks did the trip in 1944, this will be the biggest flight of WW2 Dakotas since the end of the war.
They will be flying from Duxford to France where each plane will drop a stick of Paras all in WW2 kit with WW2 parachutes.

Comments

• Beautiful aircraft, I am heading to up to Duxford tomorrow to watch these take off, I remember one flying low over Oosterbeeke Cemetery for Arnhem 60 and got very emotional.  
  • FYI i think the times may have changed since that article was written.

I'm sure i heard on Sky News earlier that the times had changed and the expected arrival at Eastbourne was around 4pm.

Trying to find the interview to confirm.
  • SE7toSG3 said:
    Beautiful aircraft, I am heading to up to Duxford tomorrow to watch these take off, I remember one flying low over Oosterbeeke Cemetery for Arnhem 60 and got very emotional.  
    You'll be a bit late then as they take off at 1.40pm this afternoon.
  • Thanks Nick, luckily Duxford is half hour away so on my way now!!   
  • Now in a field at the end of Duxford runway waiting for something to happen
  • SE7toSG3 said:
    Now in a field at the end of Duxford runway waiting for something to happen

You'll have to post some photos up later mate.

• edited June 2019
    SE7toSG3 said:
    Are you into crop circles now?

They took off at 1.40.
  • Addickted said:
    SE7toSG3 said:
    Are you into crop circles now?

They took off at 1.40.
    Delayed takeoff till 1510 ish
  • Updated flight times.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks Greenie, saves me hanging around in the garden.

I'll keep up to date on flight radar as to progress.
  • Lots of spitfires beating up the place but no dakotas yet
  • we live a stones throw away from the Battle of Britain memorial,So we see Spitefires most days and are close enough that we get them doing loops over the bungalow. Quiet today they have another memorial to honour
  • Still waiting here, further delays to take off, good job Pegasus Bridge is in safe hands this time round! 
  • A Tiger Moth flying out of Cambridge has a flight path in the shape of a Dakota.

Looks amazing on flight tracker.
  • SE7toSG3 said:
    Still waiting here, further delays to take off, good job Pegasus Bridge is in safe hands this time round! 
    All getting up now, delays due to gusts over 20mph....now down to 10mph.
  • Currently in Normandy & saw the Dekotas & parachutists jumping out around Summerville
  • edited June 2019
    Pretty impressive flanked by a couple of Spits. The ones from Duxford are just over Eastbourne now.

Amazing listening and watching them fly over Maidstone. Eerie really. Imagine what it would have been like 75 years ago hearing and seeing all those Daks and not knowing what was happening.
  • I went up the church tower in Cranbrook to watch and although the sound was amazing, they were about the size of an under fed fly as they flew by.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2019

Only had my phone but amazing to see 20 in the air at one time, glad I made the effort now, I was in Normandy for the 60th with a coachload of veterans, 50th Division mainly, glad a few of the old warriors are still about for the 75th and we as a nation are remembering thier generations efforts and sacrifices so well.
  • It was a shame that flypast was delayed, as had I stayed at work in Sandling, I would have had a much better view. Instead I went home then to White Horse Wood Detling. They passed on the western side of Maidstone so we could only just see them and just about hear them.
  • They flew directly over my house in Eastbourne. Had a great view. they were low enough to give them a wave from the back garden. 
  • Flew directly over my house....20 minutes before I got home from work.  :(
  • The benefits of retirement Steve.
  • The benefits of retirement Steve.
    Fingers crossed they do it again in 40 years then eh
  • Don't know about anywhere else but Mrs Stig tells me that Southend was totally snarled up with people turning out to see them. Great stuff!
  • Fantastic view at Rainham country park today.It was absolutely packed very emotional as a lot of olduns with tears in there eyes.Nice to see a mixture of young and old.

• They flew directly over my house in Eastbourne. Had a great view. they were low enough to give them a wave from the back garden. 
    I was on the beach so saw them turn at Beachy Head and head out across The Channel. Not such a great view as yours though as they were quite high. If I'd had time, I would have watched from Beachy Head where I believe there were hundreds of people.