Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dartford Motors / van hire

Hiya, am sure someone on here used to work at Dartford Motors...does the business still exist?  Assuming not (as the phones are dead and website has disappeared!) can anyone recommend a good van hire place? Need a long wheelbase transit style van as a support vehicle for a cycling trip to the Alps...

Cheers

Comments

• Hiya, am sure someone on here used to work at Dartford Motors...does the business still exist?  Assuming not (as the phones are dead and website has disappeared!) can anyone recommend a good van hire place? Need a long wheelbase transit style van as a support vehicle for a cycling trip to the Alps...

Cheers
    That was DA9
  • Have been renting vans from Enterprise recently - excellent customer service. Check their website for rates - have lots of branches.
  • Dartford motors / van hire has shut down due to retirement of the people who run it. I believe a garage will be opening there shortly put at present the site is being refurbished, I believe Dartford motors had been in existence for around 80 to 100 years. Shame there was no one to continue it on, but these things happen.
  • We have used Practical in Dartford
  • I always used Dartford motors on the rare occasion I needed a van. Had a chat with DA9 once about the “good old days” 😬
  • Dartford motors / van hire has shut down due to retirement of the people who run it. I believe a garage will be opening there shortly put at present the site is being refurbished, I believe Dartford motors had been in existence for around 80 to 100 years. Shame there was no one to continue it on, but these things happen.
    That's sad, hadn't realised they'd closed down. Weird that nobody wanted to take on what seemed to be a steady business with 100 years of  brand "reputation"
  • I was told by a former colleague that they closed due to ever increasing insurance costs, ie, you hire large vehicles to inexperienced drivers, they get bashed a lot, premiums go up, apparently it was getting extortionate, hence closure 
  • Excellent. @charlton Charlie is organising another Leeds weekend minibus. Bring it on !!
  • Excellent. @charlton Charlie is organising another Leeds weekend minibus. Bring it on !!
    I know the Yorkies refer to their county as "Gods own", but comparing Sadleworth Moor with the Alps is stretching things a tad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks @hoof_it_up_to_benty and @Justin20474 will check them both out.
    I'm in. Charlton Charlie's Leeds minibuses were great
  • need to hire a van for weekend of 13/14th march to move out of a 1 bed flat a transit would likely do - had a look on enterprise - wanting ridiculous money over 300 quid anyone got anywhere else to try. 
  • DA9 said:
    I was told by a former colleague that they closed due to ever increasing insurance costs, ie, you hire large vehicles to inexperienced drivers, they get bashed a lot, premiums go up, apparently it was getting extortionate, hence closure 
    This is what I was told also. Shame, used to use them quite a bit.
  • need to hire a van for weekend of 13/14th march to move out of a 1 bed flat a transit would likely do - had a look on enterprise - wanting ridiculous money over 300 quid anyone got anywhere else to try. 
    You'll find the Transit will be a lot more cramped than a 1 bed flat.

No stairs though, and you can drive a few miles if you don't like the area.
  • edited February 2021

Reward van hire were good and cheap when I used them a few years ago. Based in Kentish Town, Islip St I think.
  • Try Practical Van Hire Shenley Road/The Brent Dartford.  01322294800. Transits about £100 per Day. 
  • Dansk_Red said:
    Try Practical Van Hire Shenley Road/The Brent Dartford.  01322294800. Transits about £100 per Day. 
    Walked past there on Monday, was very busy.
  • B&Q van hire. In conjunction with hertz, works out £100 for 2 days. Really easy service to use, keyless entry system
  • Sponsored links:

• Helped my cousin move yesterday, he used hertz via a local storage company about £50 for the day. 
  • There's a place by Mottingham station that does Van Hire.  Cant think of what it was called.  I hired one of their vans for a day when I moved in with my Mrs.