Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

***PSA Tests for Prostate Cancer at The Valley - next one in Feb ***

1234568»

Comments

• Tracey said:

Rob7Lee said:

Good luck to everyone affected,

@tracey I know we conversed on twitter (ab54666) but think I need to man up and do the ride next year, so count me in if it happens. Not sure my BMX will be any good though so will need to get myself a) a bike with gears and b) learn how to ride again and c) a resemblance of fit, I struggle running a bath!

Lol. I was the same. Hadn’t been on a bike for 20yrs! But within 3 months I went from 6miles to 60, a mountain bike to a hybrid then a road bike. It can be done and you have way longer to get prepared. Registration opens sometime in August and I will let you know when it does. Think it will sell out very early so we need to get in quick.
    Glad I see this............... so if Ive read this correctly. I can start off with a lower level bike, a mountain bike or hybrid which I can buy second hand for £30/£50 around here and then progress to road bike when my finances improve. Is that correct?
    I thought I needed to train/get fit/kill myself on a Road bike from the start.
    Plenty of room @Rob7Lee if I budge up. ;)
  • I’m saddened reading this that people appear to have to fight their doctor to get the test done

It may be one of the small benefits of private medicine in the US that they will routinely check you anything they can charge for.

My annual checkup includes a whole battery of blood tests, including the PSA since age 50. And regardless of the test result, you get the old personal inspection thrown in.

If nothing else, it establishes a trackable baseline over years.

If you tell your doctor you are showing certain symptons (even if your not) he will most likely send you for the test anyway.
  • Rob7Lee said:

Good luck to everyone affected,

@tracey I know we conversed on twitter (ab54666) but think I need to man up and do the ride next year, so count me in if it happens. Not sure my BMX will be any good though so will need to get myself a) a bike with gears and b) learn how to ride again and c) a resemblance of fit, I struggle running a bath!

Happy to help with bike advice etc. Bit of a bike nerd.
  • Prostate cancer spit tests trialled.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-44437998
  • Just a short note to remind people of the importance of looking after yourself. I know I have an enlarged prostate and I insist on regular blood tests to keep an eye on my PSA levels. Six months ago it was 3.7. Last week it had gone up to 4.8. Credit to my doctor who arranged for an urgent referral to the hospital to get it checked out. I attended my appointment yesterday and there is a small lump around the prostate. An MRI scan has been arranged for Monday. How quick is that! In under two weeks I've seen a doctor and got an appointment to have a scan. You can't knock the NHS, can you. So, if you're a man of a certain age ..Get the test, you know it makes sense.
  • Best of luck Rich.
  • _MrDick said:

Just a short note to remind people of the importance of looking after yourself. I know I have an enlarged prostate and I insist on regular blood tests to keep an eye on my PSA levels. Six months ago it was 3.7. Last week it had gone up to 4.8. Credit to my doctor who arranged for an urgent referral to the hospital to get it checked out. I attended my appointment yesterday and there is a small lump around the prostate. An MRI scan has been arranged for Monday. How quick is that! In under two weeks I've seen a doctor and got an appointment to have a scan. You can't knock the NHS, can you. So, if you're a man of a certain age ..Get the test, you know it makes sense.

Good luck to you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Best wishes soapboxsam.
  • Best wishes and thanks for the detailed account soapboxsam
  • Best wishes @soapboxsam Hope it all goes well
  • All the best Sam. I contracted Prostate Cancer 4 or 5 years back - PSA level was 14. Had radiotheraphy and I have no long lasting side effects. Still have regular PSA checks and the readings are still below 1.
  • Thanks to @Covered End @swords_alive
    @_MrDick @PeterGage for your comments.

Knowledge is the key to making the right choices on further treatment.

• Thanks to @Covered End @swords_alive
    @_MrDick @PeterGage for your comments.

Knowledge is the key to making the right choices on further treatment.

Thanks for sharing, very enlightening and helpful.
    Best of luck for the future.
  • Would just like to point out again that if you have a high PSA reading you now have the right to an MRI scan before any invasive procedures.
    I would thoroughly recommend this course of action. Just tell the GP that this is policy laid down by NICE.
    in soapboxsam’s case this would have probably led to a biopsy anyway, but in many cases it will prevent that. 
  • edited April 2019
    JamesSeed said:
    Would just like to point out again that if you have a high PSA reading you now have the right to an MRI scan before any invasive procedures.
    I would thoroughly recommend this course of action. Just tell the GP that this is policy laid down by NICE.
    in soapboxsam’s case this would have probably led to a biopsy anyway, but in many cases it will prevent that. 
    @JamesSeed, because of  Jimmy's comments, I did ask for the MRI scan when I had my first meeting with a consultant. 
    I need to check all my letters and timelines and calendar because the MRI scan was about the same time as the Transrectal ultrasound probe (12 biopsies under local)
    and not the Transperineal probe (24 biopsies under General) The last procedure was 6 weeks after the TRUS and MRI.

Because of what they saw on the MRI scan I would've needed to give more samples anyway But if MRI clear, then to have another PSA test  in 3 months under the watchful waiting would've been an option.

Because Cancer in the Prostate can be slow, moderate or fast, this enemy within can be monitored if just  6 (slow growing) on Gleeson scale. Mine is 7,( Slow and moderate growing) and 8(moderate) 9 or 10 then fast growing cancer cells have been found and Surgery will be recommended by every Consultant.

Ps. For those of you that don't know, PSA numbers are totally different to the Gleeson scale which only comes into play when Cancer samples have been found. The number 7 for me is the score of 3 slow + 4 moderate from samples taken.
  • Six monthly check up today.

PSI score still higher than norm but not rising.

DRE all fine but they have suggested another MRI just to be sure so all good.

Being called "young" made me laugh but it's all relative.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hi Just wondering if the club had any plans to bring this back as an annual thing?
  • Just asked, February v Oxford.