Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best and worst, last game of the season

With another potentially exciting final game of the season approaching, it made me think of previous last games. What is your favourite and worst last game of the season? (Not including playoffs)

Personally the Palace game in 2004/05 will take some beating. However there are a few others that stand out, thumping Norwich in 2009 to bring them down with us. Also the draw with Wolves in 1996, whilst an awful game it stands in my memory as a good day after Millwall helpfully put us into the playoffs whilst being relegated at the same time. 

In League One the 2010 win at Oldham, whilst ultimately didn't lead to promotion was an enjoyable game, and we had about 10 minutes where we were going up, until Leeds ruined it.

In terms of worst losing at home to Wednesday in 1999 to get relegated the first time from the Premier League is probably the low point. 

Comments

• The last game of the 1995/96 was a cracker for how it worked out as our game was terrible!

We got a draw against Wolves, but Ipswich drew against Millwall which meant that we ended up in the playoffs ahead of Ipswich and Millwall were relegated

If Ipswich had won, they would have got into the playoffs ahead of us, if Millwall had won they would have stayed up...
    I sat near the press box back then and we all kept asking them about the score for any updates. Much easier now with smart phones. 
  • Just remembered the Birmingham game as well, how can I forget that. Bloody Jasper Carrott!

Some of the best defending I've ever seen. Unfortunately then got all kinds of missiles thrown at us as we were leaving the ground.
  • Palace by a country mile. Preston 1975 has be the next best surely 
  • Good ones
    Wolves in '96, as mentioned by others. Got on the pitch after that one.

Our last game in the Premier League away at Anfield. Already relegated, thrashed Liverpool 2-2, Darren Randolph with one of the finest goalkeeping performances I've ever seen. We will definitely bounce straight back up, especially with the brilliant Alan Pardew in charge.

4-1 victory over Coventry a few years back, Chris Powell coming on to score in his last game.

Bad ones
    Whilst a satisfying day from a protesting point of view, the 3-0 defeat at home to Burnley left me feeling pretty depressed at our prospects, rightly so it transpired.

Curbs last game - again, the day was okay itself, but left wondering what'll become of us.
  • Bolton at home . Can’t remember what year ( around 1983 ) we needed to win to avoid relegation. I think we went one down but went on to win three or four one . 

We were one down with about 30 minutes to play.

Up stepped Killer with a couple of goals, Gritty got one (can't remember who got the other) and we won 4-1.

There's a great picture of Gritty celebrating his goal, with the East Terrace in the background knocking around.

• Sponsored links:

• Best - Bristol City in 1970 when we needed a win to stay up (2-1; they scored in injury time and we had to cling on); Bolton in 1983 when we were down 1-0 at half time and brought on a half-fit Killer who led us to a 4-1 thumping. Many others that are mentioned above (and no doubt below). All three promotion winning game sat Carlisle were fantastic, though not all last games of the season...

Worst - 1972, away at Blackpool.  I was too young to go so went to Fulham vs Sunderland. We needed the Mackems to win to give us a chance, and at half time, both games were level.  Then on the way home I think I found out via someone's transistor radio we'd got smashed 5-0.  Stokoe's revenge.  My first relegation.
  • Bolton at home . Can’t remember what year ( around 1983 ) we needed to win to avoid relegation. I think we went one down but went on to win three or four one . 

1982-83....won 4-1 after being 1-0 down with half until relegation. I'd agree with this, not least because I wasn't at Chelsea v Charlton 1988
  • edited April 2019

Best

1. Play-off Final - surprised nobody mentioned it (it was the 'last' game of the season!)

2. Sending the Stripeys down

3. Preston 1975

4. Battle of the Bridge 1988

Worst

Too many to mention!

• Rochdale will be the eighth of my 59 years following Charlton.
    1999 was by far the worst:  We needed Wednesday to relax and Everton to get something at Southampton.
    The opposite happened and sitting in the JS next to their singing fans was a nightmare.
    Will never forget or forgive.
  • Pedro45 said:
    Best - Bristol City in 1970 when we needed a win to stay up (2-1; they scored in injury time and we had to cling on); Bolton in 1983 when we were down 1-0 at half time and brought on a half-fit Killer who led us to a 4-1 thumping. Many others that are mentioned above (and no doubt below). All three promotion winning game sat Carlisle were fantastic, though not all last games of the season...

Worst - 1972, away at Blackpool.  I was too young to go so went to Fulham vs Sunderland. We needed the Mackems to win to give us a chance, and at half time, both games were level.  Then on the way home I think I found out via someone's transistor radio we'd got smashed 5-0.  Stokoe's revenge.  My first relegation.
    Blooming heck (being as we're no longer able to swear), 

For 47 years I have always thought I was the only Charlton fan who went to Fulham that day! And yet there were two of us there - unless another one comes out of the cupboard. Still got the programme somewhere.

A truly miserable afternoon as I recall. Made worse by bumping into a Fulham fan I knew who I really didn't like and who took the piss most of the way home. I liked him even less after that.

Also if I remember correctly, England played West Germany at Wembley later that night and lost as well.

That was not the best footballing day I have ever had. 
  • How can I forget Battle of the Bridge in 1988! The most hostile atmosphere I've ever experienced at a ground, but what a feeling when we got the draw that kept us up and sent Chelsea into the playoffs and relegation.
    Yep, that was memorable. Just can't believe it was over 30 years ago.
  • Winning the final game of the season is massively underrated by clubs. Always good to leave on the final day with a win after a terrible season. In the last ten years or so we’ve been quite fortunate with wins.

Charlton 4-1 Coventry - Can’t believe no one has mentioned Sir Chris Powell goal. 

Charlton 4- 2 Norwich 
    Charlton 3-0 Swindon
    Charlton 4-1 Bristol City. 

• Again a Play Off but Leeds at St Andrews in 1987 was quite good - possibly one of the most important results in our history, along with Bolton in 83.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sending palarse down will always be my favourite 
    100%
  • Not really worst but one of the most disappointing was away to Bristol rovers when we just missed out on play offs. 
    Think it was Simon Webster that had a goal disallowed.
  • Worst Charlton 3 Blackburn 4  1958 

A draw would have seen us bounce back at the first attempt after relegation from the old division the year before.

Instead, we didn't play top flight football at the Valley again for 40 years.

A draw would have seen us bounce back at the first attempt after relegation from the old division the year before.

Bloody Bryan Douglas ! 

Never new you saw that game mate 

My dad was there and he never forget it.  I hadn't been born.

My dad was there and he never forget it.  I hadn't been born.
    Whooooooooosh

We were one down with about 30 minutes to play.

Up stepped Killer with a couple of goals, Gritty got one (can't remember who got the other) and we won 4-1.

There's a great picture of Gritty celebrating his goal, with the East Terrace in the background knocking around.

Pretty sure the other scorer was Carl Harris
  • With another potentially exciting final game of the season approaching, it made me think of previous last games. What is your favourite and worst last game of the season? (Not including playoffs)

Personally the Palace game in 2004/05 will take some beating. However there are a few others that stand out, thumping Norwich in 2009 to bring them down with us. Also the draw with Wolves in 1996, whilst an awful game it stands in my memory as a good day after Millwall helpfully put us into the playoffs whilst being relegated at the same time. 

In League One the 2010 win at Oldham, whilst ultimately didn't lead to promotion was an enjoyable game, and we had about 10 minutes where we were going up, until Leeds ruined it.

In terms of worst losing at home to Wednesday in 1999 to get relegated the first time from the Premier League is probably the low point. 
    So you’ve listed a whole series of shit games