Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Luton Town | Sat 13 Apr | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Luton Town
Saturday 13th April 2019 ... 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Gavin Ward (Surrey)

Introduction
Another match on the road, another three points brought back to South East London ... Tuesday night saw the Addicks travelling to Wycombe Wanderers for their re-arranged game, with big matches to come key players were rested and it was one of those replacements in Jason Pearce that saw us returning home with a victory - With chances of finishing second growing its important that we at least take maximum points from our remaining games, starting tomorrow as we host potential League Champions: Luton Town

The Opposition
Name: Luton Town | Manager: Mick Harford
Ground: Kenilworth Road

When Luton returned to League One after what must have felt a long absense for their fans, few must have expected a season like this one - One point in their first three games would see the Hatters struggling at this level, the fact that they've only lost two games since (coming against Barnsley and Doncaster Rovers) is a sign that should they be crowned champions in the next few weeks, it'll be fully deserved.

On the playing front the Addicks will be boosted by the fact that top scorer this season (and League One Player of the Year): James Collins will be suspended for tomorrows clash, having scored 22-goals this term the Striker would receive his marching orders last time out for a second bookable offence - A bit closer to home and the fans tomorrow will be able to welcome the son of Robert Lee; despite having never represented the Addicks: Elliott is another potential threat, chipping in with ten goals from midfield himself so far.

Charlton Team News
With Bowyer having rotated the squad on Tuesday he's now left to make the decision to recall the right players - Both Darren Pratley and George Lapslie performed well against Wycombe yet you'd expect Jonny Williams to return for one of those mentioned; Krystian Bielik's fitness remains a doubt so who else starts in midfield is a mystery

As is the debate of Sarr v Pearce - With both defenders having exceptional seasons its difficult to remove either one of them - Ultimately you wouldnt want to be in Bowyer's shoes yet you just feel that the Manager and his Backroom Staff will continue to make the correct decisions

Phillips
Solly | Bauer | Sarr | Purrington
Aribo | Cullen | Reeves
Williams
Taylor | Vetokele

Substitutes Bench: Maxwell | Dijksteel | Pearce | Pratley | Lapslie | Parker | Fosu

Prediction
Without doubt this is our toughest match left of the regular season... Luton will be coming to the Valley with just a six point gap between themselves and Sunderland so will be looking to cement top spot... You'd think a draw is going to be the result, yet a win would almost certainly be up there with some memorial games of late

Comments

• Taylor better watch out Ward is a very poor ref in the keith stroud/trevor kettle standard of reffereeing !!!!! 
  • Somewhere on this thread there will be a comfortable home win.....
  • Hoping Harford suffers from manager of the month syndrome. Hard fought 1-0 to us.
  • Should be a good crowd with the prospect of such a good game. Would like us to score early, and often! But it’s going to be tight.

I am not interested in the probably draw, probably lose views. Probably right, but I am going with hope and blind optimism. 2-0.
  • Charlton 3-1 can't see us keeping a clean sheet in this one, but can see us stepping up against them.
  • I think if Fosu was going to feature from the bench, then he'd have been there on Tuesday; Morgan will be in his place I believe. The rest looks right for this game, though I worry about our defensive capabilities in dealing with the rampant overlapping full backs. We will need luck, and a heroic all round display if we are to win this one.  Sitting back on a one goal lead will not work here. 
    Charlton 1 Luton 2
  • edited April 2019
    1-0 Charlton. Very very hard game with both keepers playing well but we nick it in the last 20 minutes. Lyle Taylor to cement his cult status with the fans.

Maybe we can then start dreaming of that 2nd spot if other results go our way.....
  • 3.1 Charlton to send the biggest crowd of the season at the valley delirious. 
    The dream continues. 
  • Big crowd tomorrow, I reckon. Just hope the players don’t get the jitters. Have read that they have a few key players missing so big opportunity for us ... C’mon Charlton
  • Sponsored links:

• Tense but entertaining 2-1 to Bows boys.

• A sit up and take notice performance by Charlton, on the pitch and in the stands as the noise levels go up another notch. Charlton 3-0 Luton
    What he says but i'll be bolder and go 4-1.

I got another ticket this morning for the North upper and there weren't many left. It's going to be a cracker.
  • 2-0 win in front of our biggest crowd of the season. I am confident that we will turn up in the big games under Bowyer.

Really looking forward to it tomorrow as big games at The Valley have been rare over the last ten years. Nothing will beat Sodje winner against Leeds but hoping tomorrow will get close to it.

COYR
  • youngluke said:
    Taylor better watch out Ward is a very poor ref in the keith stroud/trevor kettle standard of reffereeing !!!!! 
    Is Ward the ref  that looks about 12 years old?
  • _MrDick said:
    Big crowd tomorrow, I reckon. Just hope the players don’t get the jitters. Have read that they have a few key players missing so big opportunity for us ... C’mon Charlton
    The players get the Jitters ? Pompey at home, live on tv and they were showboating...
  • Very optimistic about this one which no doubt means we'll lose. Luton are due a loss.

Going bold, 5-1 to the Reds!
  • This is as big as it gets.

• LenGlover said:
    youngluke said:
    Taylor better watch out Ward is a very poor ref in the keith stroud/trevor kettle standard of reffereeing !!!!! 
    Is Ward the ref  that looks about 12 years old?
    Yep that's him. So Inconsistent and could easily ruin this game unfortunately 
  • I'm going to say 6-1 to us 
  • Sponsored links:

• Great to see so many CL members have started drinking early this Friday before a cracking game tomorrow.

In our Last 5 home matches, we've had two disappointing draws with Southend and Blackpool and bog standard but good game management wins against Burton and Bradford.
    The 2-1 win against Pompey was of a higher quality and we would need to emulate that game to have a chance of Victory.

I'm going for a win as well, because I don't want to see Luton become the 3rd team to celebrate being  Champions at the Valley after Burnley and Bournemouth in seasons past, on the last home game of the season.

Luton know a win would nearly guarantee promotion so for once let's be party  poopers and keep our own dream going for another week of auto's (a very long shot)
  • 2-1, 4-1, 6-1, shall I go 8-1 to continue the sequence!

Seriously, 1-1, a tight match with few chances, slightly deflating the top 2 optimism
  • Can you pay on the day...with Red Card of course?
  • This will be a tight one, we will go 1 up and they will equalise late on.

1-1 Draw for me, onto the playoffs we go!

• I though 2-2 was a fair result and their hovel so with home advantage I hope we will edge it by at least one goal.
  • 0-1 and playoffs it is
  • 2-1 to Charlton in an exciting game.
  • 1-1. Our toughest game of the season.

Amazed by the optimism on here!