Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tip or not...

Just had 3 trees, lawn and drive ripped up and taken away from front garden, new fence put up and block paving all over. Well pleased with the job (£4,000) - Do we tip ? If so, how much ?
Appreciate your thoughts

Comments

• Maybe ask each of them what beer they like and buy them a six pack each.....but certainly don’t let money change hands.
  • Definitely not.
  • Yeah bottle of wine/ Crate of beer is certainly enough and probably more than they are expecting
  • Sponsored links:

• Not a chance!
  • Why would you?  They've been paid and if you're happy with the job then good, so you should be, they've charged to do a good job.

Tipping is creeping into more and more jobs and I don't get it half the time.
    I initially thought the same but remembered i've been tipped for doing a good job at someone's house and it is nice to be appreciated.
    Although @sunbury-addick paid £4000 the blokes doing it were probably on a wage, so a tenner will get them a nice breakfast.
  • Sounds a very good price these days for a new drive, i can understand you asking the question, personal preference, if the blocks sink in a few years time, you might regret giving them a tip.
  • When I had my roof done, they were very good and cleared up their mess every day. I was pleased with the job, it was a good price so I gave each of them £50 to ‘have a drink. In short, if you pleased with the job, why not tip
  • @ed off when I gave it to them. Never again!
  • I wouldn't tip them. Ask them if there's anywhere on the internet where you can leave a positive review on their work.

Don't agree with tipping people for doing what you've already paid them to do, particularly when it's something high value like that. Maybe a bit different if it's a low earner who's gone above and beyond.
  • edited April 2019
    So pleased with the finish, cleanliness, have gone with the "drink" £20 a man (3), really appreciate your comments
  • I only tip:

Cabbies - round up to the 2nd next pound. i.e. fare is 10.20 pay 12.00

Hairdressers - a quid

Waiting staff at restaurant  5%-10%

• Sponsored links:

• So pleased with the finish, cleanliness, have gone with the "drink" £20 a man (3), really appreciate your comments
    Surprised so many others said different. The charge very rarely goes to the guys doing the work who no doubt are on a low day rate.

If they have put in graft and you’ve been pleased with their efforts i’d always out of politeness give them a note to get a beer with. 
  • takeaway drivers i always tip although i would imagine like cab drivers thanks to just eat/uber most people pay online as we are edging towards a cashless society, they don't get as much as they used to. 
  • the only thing with manual workers is - it is the profession they chose say this as a now off the tools heating engineer 
  • 4 or 5 blokes on the job. Give them a score and say have a pint on me. 
  • Does make me laugh the mindset in this country that you don’t tip someone who has busted a gut on your property for 8hrs in all weathers yet hop on a flight to Spain and automatically tip Jose for taking the top off a beer bottle!
    If the geezers that busted a gut on my property had opened my beer for me then they would have got a nugget or two...that is excellent customer service right there.
    My guvnor dont walk up to me at the end of each day and says 'Oi Greenie you peasant, you done well today old boy, heres an extra tenner'
  • Give them a crate of Carling each.  Job done.
  • Does make me laugh the mindset in this country that you don’t tip someone who has busted a gut on your property for 8hrs in all weathers yet hop on a flight to Spain and automatically tip Jose for taking the top off a beer bottle!
    I tip according to the tipping culture of the country I am in.