Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Plymouth away - Good place to drink/eat before game

2»

Comments

• The Barbican or Hoe but you would need to get a cab.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Ginsters pasties are made in Cornwall (Callington, in fact) ..... but ignore all the marketing hype and the Cornish flag on the wrapper ..... IMO it's just factory made processed supermarket fodder. I don't know anyone here in Cornwall who actually buys them. There's a good choice, however, of very decent small bakery pasties like Rowes, or Chough's up in Padstow. That's the sort the Cornish eat.

The decent pasties sold from the van outside Home Park are Ivor Dewdney's, made in Plymouth - so not Cornish at all!
    And all the better for it 😉
  • If you're making a weekend of it, the Who'd of thought it Inn in Milton Combe do great meals and a varied selection of real ales. Lovely setting too, on the edge of Dartmoor.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Ginsters pasties are made in Cornwall (Callington, in fact) ..... but ignore all the marketing hype and the Cornish flag on the wrapper ..... IMO it's just factory made processed supermarket fodder. I don't know anyone here in Cornwall who actually buys them. There's a good choice, however, of very decent small bakery pasties like Rowes, or Chough's up in Padstow. That's the sort the Cornish eat.

The decent pasties sold from the van outside Home Park are Ivor Dewdney's, made in Plymouth - so not Cornish at all!
    Too right! Devon pasties are more meat and potato, less pepper (which is mostly just used to cover the bland taste of other pasties) and not so much veg!

Ginsters are s***. As OR said, they are nothing more than a mass-processed, for-shop pasty now. They didn't used to be but those days are long gone.
  • James Street Vaults, hidden down a side street near the station.  25 minute walk to the ground.  Punk IPA on tap and lots more...
  • Oggy Red said:

Too right! Devon pasties are more meat and potato, less pepper (which is mostly just used to cover the bland taste of other pasties) and not so much veg!

Ginsters are s***. As OR said, they are nothing more than a mass-processed, for-shop pasty now. They didn't used to be but those days are long gone.
    I love a lamb and mint pastie!
  • Grand National is at 5:15 that gives 15 minutes after game to get to a bar and get a drink. Recommendations that can be achieved in that timescale.preferably heading into the city, where my car will be parked . 
  • Grand National is at 5:15 that gives 15 minutes after game to get to a bar and get a drink. Recommendations that can be achieved in that timescale.preferably heading into the city, where my car will be parked . 
    Hyde Park social club as the OP said is definitely your best bet. I believe it's closer than the pubs and you're guaranteed to get served quicker than the pubs would. Google Map it and head there directly after the game and you should make it in time, even if you have to run a bit :smile:
    Hyde Park social club as the OP said is definitely your best bet. I believe it's closer than the pubs and you're guaranteed to get served quicker than the pubs would. Google Map it and head there directly after the game and you should make it in time, even if you have to run a bit :smile:
    It's actually closer to the ground than I realised. Basically, walk through the park and then google it. 
  • Where to eat

The usual fare is available inside the ground, with plenty of Ginsters products on offer due to the pastry company’s long-standing sponsorship of the Pilgrims. There are also a couple of mobile units selling burgers in the car park of the stadium. 

There are not too many options near to the ground, with a Tesco Express a short walk from the ground, while a Co-Op and a Lidl are further along Wolesley Road. Alternatively, the Brittannia is a Wetherspoon’s which is in close proximity to Home Park.

Where to drink

The aforementioned Brittannia is the best option closest to the ground, while the Hyde Park Social Club is a good alternative and is situated between the station and the stadium. A little further away, the Plymouth Hoe, which overlooks the sea, is recommended.

Saturday’s game is an all-ticket event, meaning that seats will not be on sale to Charlton fans on the day of the game. Over 800 Addicks had snapped up tickets by the time they went off sale from The Valley on Friday afternoon. 
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5ca706ff44396/away-fans-guide-home-park
  • Sponsored links:

• clive said:
    Where to eat

The usual fare is available inside the ground, with plenty of Ginsters products on offer due to the pastry company’s long-standing sponsorship of the Pilgrims. There are also a couple of mobile units selling burgers in the car park of the stadium. 

There are not too many options near to the ground, with a Tesco Express a short walk from the ground, while a Co-Op and a Lidl are further along Wolesley Road. Alternatively, the Brittannia is a Wetherspoon’s which is in close proximity to Home Park.

Where to drink

The aforementioned Brittannia is the best option closest to the ground, while the Hyde Park Social Club is a good alternative and is situated between the station and the stadium. A little further away, the Plymouth Hoe, which overlooks the sea, is recommended.

Saturday’s game is an all-ticket event, meaning that seats will not be on sale to Charlton fans on the day of the game. Over 800 Addicks had snapped up tickets by the time they went off sale from The Valley on Friday afternoon. 
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5ca706ff44396/away-fans-guide-home-park
    Yeah my ticket hadn't arrived by evening yesterday so I've had to get it duplicated. Now my missus has just text me and told me it's arrived today. Typical ey.
  • Plotted up in the Hyde Park SC.  Very friendly club. £2 to get in but cheap beer.
  • So who else shared the train in with Jeremy Corbyn then?

That definitely confused the coppers waiting at Plymouth train station.

I heard the train was half empty but Corbyn was sitting on the floor outside the toilet :-) 
  • edited April 2019
    We went Vessel, tiny taproom/bottle shop. Loads of really great beer.
  • Took the advice on here and went to Hyde social club, nice and cheap and food was decent enough, first time iv'e been to Plymouth and really enjoyed it, spent most of the weekend down Barbican area, locals all seemed friendly enough. @Henry Irving did you stay in the Walrus pub which had the ska band playing.

I heard the train was half empty but Corbyn was sitting on the floor outside the toilet :-) 
    The irony here mate is that typically GWR trains are half empty these days thanks to the extortinate prices they now charge!

• Took the advice on here and went to Hyde social club, nice and cheap and food was decent enough, first time iv'e been to Plymouth and really enjoyed it, spent most of the weekend down Barbican area, locals all seemed friendly enough. @Henry Irving did you stay in the Walrus pub which had the ska band playing.
    No, too hot and no room to move so we went back to the Quay and the Admiral McBride which was a lovely little place.
    No, too hot and no room to move so we went back to the Quay and the Admiral McBride which was a lovely little place.
    Yeah that's why we left, we went in that one Friday night, lots of good pubs down that area.