Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dillon Phillips signs new contract (to 2021)

edited February 2019 in General Charlton
Dillon Phillips has signed a new contract

Charlton Athletic are delighted to confirm that goalkeeper Dillon Phillips has signed a new contract at the club that is set to keep him at The Valley until at least 2021.

The 23-year-old has come all the way through the club’s esteemed academy after joining at the age of eight.

The stopper has been in brilliant form recently, starting the Addicks' last six games and conceding just three goals in the process. 

Phillips told Valley Pass: “I’m delighted. Excluding Saturday, our recent run of form has been really good and I’ve been happy to be a part of that. Hopefully there is more good times to come. First and foremost, hopefully we can keep doing well and gain promotion this season.

“This is the club I signed for at eight-years-old. I think I’m in my sixteenth year here now. It’s been a long time, there have been some ups, there have been some downs. I’ve met loads of good people on the way and I’m looking forward to the next two-and-half years.”

Addicks boss Lee Bowyer said: “He deserves it. He’s come back into the side and he’s been excellent. The most important thing for us is we’ve got him at the football club for the next couple of years. I’m over the moon for him.

“Since Marsh (goalkeeper coach Andy Marshall) has come in, I think he’s improved. As a goalie his distribution is better, so he’s ticking all the boxes at the moment and he’s showing that on the Saturday when he plays.

“I’m really pleased for him that he’s been rewarded for his hard work. He could have easily have gone the other way and just let it by-pass him but he hasn’t. He’s made sure that once he was needed, he was ready.”

Phillips, is one of 19 academy graduates to play in the first team this season and the goalkeeper was quick to praise Academy Manager Steve Avory and former Academy goalkeeping coach Lee Smelt. 

He said: “People like that keep this club going and keep the academy producing the quality that they are. Hopefully there are more boys coming through, which you’ve seen again this season. Each Saturday there is at least one out there on the pitch, which is great for the club to see and great for the fans to see.”

Head of Recruitment Steve Gallen explained the club have been working on a new deal for Phillips over the last few months and added: "Dillon is another one who has come through the academy. He’s very well liked at the club. Steve Avory and his team have done a great job with him as has Andy Marshall recently. He’s a good goalkeeper, a good lad, everybody likes him in the dressing room. He’s well liked amongst the fans, staff, players, everybody, so I’m really, really pleased for everybody but in particular Dillon, he deserves this."

Comments

• Excellent news. Hope he keeps his place, he certainly deserves to.

Another example of Roland's beneficial management of his club
  • Great news, where one leads hopefully others will follow

Does that mean he is now the proud owner of the longest contract at the club?
  • very pleased for him and CAFC
  • Great news, hopefully he can continue to build on the recent form and can keep the no1 shirt. Harsh on Maxwell but if he is doing a good job for now he deserves it! 
  • Thank god for that... Was one of the last that I expected to renew - Certainly deserves the Contract after his performances this calendar year
  • C#$#t means cucumber  if any mods are looking in.

liar!!!! I’ve just ordered a kebab with extra c#$#t and got punched!!
  • Good news. Well done to Dillon & Charlton.
  • Good for Dillon - I hope this is the first of a fair few.

It might have mnade sense not to offer new contracts if new owners were coming in, but now the playing squad will be worth diddly come June if they dont tie some players down to reasonable deals sharpish
  • Sponsored links:

• Happy with that.  Let’s hope some others follow swiftly.  Him and Lapslie should have been easiest as they are likely cheapest.  It is Aribo, Fosu, JFC that will likely be tougher.
  • Good. Could easily have thrown his toys but out but hasn’t and has ploughed on. Hope he keeps the no 1 shirt now. Wonder what the terms of Maxwell’s loan deal are!
  • One of Roland's new contracts? Either a very small font or he's hoping Dillon doesn't notice it's blank.
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5c5daa9b8a126/dillon-phillips-pens-new-addicks-deal-to-keep-him-at-the-valley-until-2021
  • I think JFC will re-sign, won't be many clubs that can offer him wages similar more than we can willing to take a risk on a player coming back from an ACL rupture.
  • Great news, well deserved and happy for him and the club that it is longer than 18 months.

Lapslie next, and very soon I believe. Hopefully we can get Aribo to sign too but that is going to be a bigger challenge. 
  • Good news for Dillon and still difficult to work out If more players will get offers ? Unlikely under Duchatelet or they will be derisory offers similar to Yann and Poyet from Day 1 of this dark period .

This new contract will be much lower wages than Sarr, BFG and Vetokele to name just 3 from the early days of this owners tenure.
    A glint of light but we need a whole rainbow to feel the colour in our cheeks and that the life haven't been squeezed out of this club 

• I think JFC will re-sign, won't be many clubs that can offer him wages similar more than we can willing to take a risk on a player coming back from an ACL rupture.
    JFC would like to be made an offer of a contract.
  • Is that the Marshall that played for Ipswich and Norwich? I didn't realise he was coaching at our club. 
  • edited February 2019
    News from Belgium. Roland won big on a scratchcard and decided ", someone told me a goalkeeper is integral to a football team!"

The man, the legend, the Belgian.
  • edited February 2019
    Rudders22 said:
    Is that the Marshall that played for Ipswich and Norwich? I didn't realise he was coaching at our club. 
    Came to us from Villa and was instrumental in Steer being signed on loan. Replaced Lee Turner who went to the Spanners where Amos then went on loan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rudders22 said:
    Is that the Marshall that played for Ipswich and Norwich? I didn't realise he was coaching at our club. 
    Yeah he came in when the traitor left us for Millwall :wink:
  • Cool. I thought he was. 
  • Phillips now looks quite imposing physically, he's been iin the gym. Is he really only 6'2"?
  • one down ... Twenty to go
  • Phillips now looks quite imposing physically, he's been iin the gym. Is he really only 6'2"?
    I said exactly the same last week. Just like Pope did, he has really got much broader & stronger looking, over the last 6 months. 
  • Charlton number 1 chant would go down well tomorrow

Watch him drop a clanger now !  
  • What usually follows when one of our young players signs a new long term contract? Just hope Roland wasn't watching the performance of Henderson for Sheffield United tonight because he'll be straight on the phone to Chris Wilder!
  • Great news 
  • Congrats, Dillon.

You deserve it .
  • Thank god for that... Was one of the last that I expected to renew - Certainly deserves the Contract after his performances this calendar year

I think he's a good example of how quickly things can change in football. He's showed a lot of resilience and worked hard to catch up. It's one thing not starting, and another missing vital development loans.