Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stock Control - Help me please

Boring question but hoping someone on here can give me a bit of advice.  Apologies for noob question but it's a new venture for me.

I'm looking to invest in some software & hardware that logs my stock.  Essentially we have a stock room with stuff in it.  I want to be able to scan stuff in and out and then monitor where that stock is - is it used on a job OR is it in someone's van stock.  

So at any given time I know what I have in my stores, what is in each vehicle and what has been used on a job.

Pretty sure I haven't explained myself as clearly as I could have but if anyone can decipher what I am looking for I would be delighted to know more.

thanks in advance

Comments

• You can get a cheap bar code scanner and use a lap top and ms access if your looking for a cheap and quick solution. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    You can get a cheap bar code scanner and use a lap top and ms access if your looking for a cheap and quick solution. 
    I know but I am working with people who aren't technologically gifted...MS Access will flip their noodles

I'm wondering what sort of things other people use.  Not scared to invest in something robust but want to make sure it can do exactly what I want...and probably a few things I don't even know I want
  • If you want something really easy you can just use excel to log numbers. I’m sure there are tonnes of templates out there. 
  • And you can buy bar codes off eBay 
  • Are there any Apps you can use to do this?!?
  • Your stock room 'with stuff in it:'

Is that stuff general stuff you might need sometime or do you buy in for specific jobs?

If you buy in for specific jobs then a job costing system might do what you appear to want.

• Swisdom said:
    Boring question but hoping someone on here can give me a bit of advice.  Apologies for noob question but it's a new venture for me.

I'm looking to invest in some software & hardware that logs my stock.  Essentially we have a stock room with stuff in it.  I want to be able to scan stuff in and out and then monitor where that stock is - is it used on a job OR is it in someone's van stock.  

So at any given time I know what I have in my stores, what is in each vehicle and what has been used on a job.

Pretty sure I haven't explained myself as clearly as I could have but if anyone can decipher what I am looking for I would be delighted to know more.

thanks in advance

Do you log your jobs? Could you not have someone move the picklists for each job as they move as per their incoterms? 

It's difficult to answer this question without knowing what kind of things you are moving, what size your company is, and what kind of admin staff you have behind you.

From what I can understand though, it looks like you want something like this. 

https://www.barcoding.co.uk/stock-control-solutions/

It should help you accurately track your stock, as well as your moving stock for Year end and month end reconciliations. 
  • Swisdom said:

thanks in advance
    Do you suspect some of your staff are up to no good?

I have a problem of stores allegedly being used at a much faster rate than they should be.
  • Sponsored links:

• I recently implemented Impress Stock at work for the repairs department. Operatives hate it (stops them nicking stuff) managers love it.

Overview here:

• Swisdom said:

thanks in advance

I have a problem of stores allegedly being used at a much faster rate than they should be.
    I suspected some skulduggery going on with certain stock items (Mars, Chuppa Chups and Marathons) going missing from my sweet shop up next to Grove Park BR Station, and I too, put it down to staff, but I was the only employee I had on the books.
    And you now have the franchise to weightwatchers France?
  • What do you use for your accounts?  You might be able to find something to bolt onto it so that you know not only the location but the value in each location.
  • What do you use for your accounts?  You might be able to find something to bolt onto it so that you know not only the location but the value in each location.
    I use Sage...will take a look
  • Swisdom said:
    What do you use for your accounts?  You might be able to find something to bolt onto it so that you know not only the location but the value in each location.
    I use Sage...will take a look
    Sage 50? It has a stock module but I don't think it has locations. We don't track stock in our Sage system because it's awful and track it all offline instead.

https://www.barcoding.co.uk/

Something like this might help, seems to be a plugin for sage. If maintained well, I'm sure your accountant will thank you .
  • Swisdom said:

thanks in advance

I suspected some skulduggery going on with certain stock items (Mars, Chuppa Chups and Marathons) going missing from my sweet shop up next to Grove Park BR Station, and I too, put it down to staff, but I was the only employee I had on the books.
    Rob's on form today.