Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Darren Pratley (Page 22 - Signed for Leyton Orient)

Comments

• Scoham said:
    He does run around a lot, but as I said over on the post-match thread, I worry that Bowyer has put too much focus on running in the midfield and not enough on controlling the midfield, let alone breaking teams down from midfield.
  • Pratley is a grafter and I think the time we see his real benefit to the team is when he has some craft and guile alongside him. At the moment he doesn’t.
  • SDAddick said:

Scoham said:
    He does run around a lot, but as I said over on the post-match thread, I worry that Bowyer has put too much focus on running in the midfield and not enough on controlling the midfield, let alone breaking teams down from midfield.
    Do you believe we have the players available to do that? I don’t, but a loan or two, Clarke and Fosu could change that. Even Reeves would give another option.
  • Pratley is having to do more than is his job in my opinion.
    He is basically there to tackle ,block and defend.
    Today not only did he do that but he also tried to get forward and create something.
    That ain't his job tbf.
    Once Fosu and maybe Clarke are back he can concentrate on what he does best.
    Pratley is the least of our worries.
  • edited August 2018
    Scoham said:

SDAddick said:

Scoham said:
    Do you believe we have the players available to do that? I don’t, but a loan or two, Clarke and Fosu could change that. Even Reeves would give another option.
    It's a good question. I think we could be doing better in the midfield than we currently are, and I kind of outline why I think that is in the post match thread. But we do not have a natural ball playing midfielder who will break teams down and create things. Reeves would be huge, as would Cullen and/or O'Kane.

As Blackpool says we're asking Pratley to do a lot and right now it means that he's doing nothing particularly well. I don't think he's rubbish by any stretch nor do I think our midfield problems begin or end with him. I just simply think he isn't hasn't been as effective as he hopefully will be (and as I said above some of that could be down to lack of a proper preseason).
  • edited August 2018
    Good player so far. If he gets injured we are stuffed
  • Bowyer had no fears putting the summer signing in the defence though. Speaking in today’s press conference ahead of Rochdale he said: “I have to say Pratley stepped in at centre-half on Tuesday and I thought he was outstanding. He’d never played there before. He played in the Checkatrade in a three but it’s not the same as in a two, so that’s a bit of cover that we didn’t know we had. We’re ok there at the moment.
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5bd1afe57ab82/bowyer-praises-outstanding-performance-of-darren-pratley-at-centre-half
  • He did ok for a first time. I thought he looked a bit uncomfortable to start with and misjudged a few headers, which surprised me because that's one of his strengths but did improve on that later on. He pulled off one brilliant flying block in the first half and his clearances were huge.

I'd rather Bielek at centre-back (I can't see how he'll be fit to play midfield) but at least Pratley brings height and physicality to the right hand side, plus he's comfortable on the ball.
  • Sponsored links:

• He looks less likely to switch off than Sarr - I thought he did fine on Tuesday.
  • He looks less likely to switch off than Sarr - I thought he did fine on Tuesday.

Seems Bowyer would rather play anyone at the back than Sarr. Albie Morgan will be playing centre half on Saturday.
  • Weren't a fan, got under the ball too much and despite improving in second half still missed a lot and especially when Mackie and co backed in.
  • This guy is dross.
  • CH cover at best, but we got fuck all else so he will have my support whilst in the shirt.
  • CH cover at best, but we got fuck all else so he will have my support whilst in the shirt.

Really? You want him as our last line of defence?
  • cfgs said:

Pratley will be a huge player for us this season, he brings experience and tough work rate, it isn't his fault we currently lack invention.

lol at this comment now.
  • JaShea99 said:

cfgs said:

Pratley will be a huge player for us this season, he brings experience and tough work rate, it isn't his fault we currently lack invention.

lol at this comment now.
    Hindsight is a bitch
  • Darren the Pratt pratley. Look he is probably a sound bloke. However he can't play football. With him and beliek on the same pitch your asking for trouble. Just a shame beilek is 10x the player pratley is
  • People decided the narrative for Pratley before he kicked a ball this season. 'He brings experience' 'we need some bite in midfield' etc. Turns out he's seemingly a player on a fast decline who isn't very good at football.
  • Sponsored links:

• Pratley has been useless in the last two games . At 33 not quick enough for centre midfield and totally clueless when he does have the ball .
  • We have little or no creativity in midfield - Pratley can't perform this role.
  • Is he better than Crofts? I'd argue Crofts was much better on the ball for all that he lacked presence
  • Leuth said:

Is he better than Crofts? I'd argue Crofts was much better on the ball for all that he lacked presence

I would agree with your assessment of Crofts, but I do believe that Pratley is the better player. They were both signed to be ball winning/box to box midfielders and I would argue that Pratley fulfills those roles a lot better than Crofts. Pratley breaks up play extremely well (remember his cynical foul against Southend) and is more mobile than Crofts was.
  • Just signed a new 5 year contract.

Vive le revolution!
  • Probably a good player to have in the squad, especially given how young many of our players are. Doesn’t suit the way we play - we need the midfield four to all be good on the ball and offer something going forward, even the holding player. Pace and energy could make up for that to extent, but he doesn’t really offer either at his age.
  • We have little or no creativity in midfield - Pratley can't perform this role.

Agree with this, I am sure he could play a certain role and do ok. But asking him to be a bit creative and push forward is not his role.

Bowyer's game plan went out of the window yesterday and Pratley was asked to support the strikers, a role he simply can't do. Having said that, Pratley should be no more then a squad player.