Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wayne Rooney

Comments

• JiMMy 85 said:

I can't imagine that this is Southgate's decision, is that worrying?

Because its an International Friendly I dont think we should worry too much

If though there are demands for it to happen in a proper game like the Croatia match a few days later then I'd agree that there are reasons to be concerned
    Can't help but feel someone like Callum Wilson won't be happy!
    At the same time there wont be a limit on the number of players that Southgate can call up or use as subs
    Oh really? In that case, I hope Wilson gets in the squad and gets some game time.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

If though there are demands for it to happen in a proper game like the Croatia match a few days later then I'd agree that there are reasons to be concerned
    Can't help but feel someone like Callum Wilson won't be happy!
    At the same time there wont be a limit on the number of players that Southgate can call up or use as subs
    Oh really? In that case, I hope Wilson gets in the squad and gets some game time.
    Yeah Southgate called up about 30-players for the last two games against Spain and Croatia

Because that was the Nations League only three subs could be named yet unless the rules have changed slightly I thought International Football was the same as Club Football when it comes to friendlies when you can make as many changes as you want... Its why the games get so bloody boring in the second half
  • I can't imagine that this is Southgate's decision, is that worrying?

I disagree. It's not a pre-season testimonial it's a full international match halfway through a qualification campaign and a few days before a "proper" match. Rooney hasn't played international football for 2 years and won't be playing again after this.

What's the team or the manager gain from his inclusion when the whole point of these friendlies is to develop players, tactics, formations, etc? We are constantly told how difficult England managers find it due to the congested fixture lists leaving no time to work with the team, but as might put some bums on seats that's now overlooked.

It's not the end of the world I know and I'm a being a right grumpy old git about this but it's just more chipping away at the games traditions and the prioritising of commercial over football interests in my view.
    Completely agree with all that... I dont think he should play for the reasons you state as where do we draw the line with it happening again - I can only presume that Rooney wont play until the last 10-minutes of the game so Southgate will still be able to see what the majority of his squad can do ahead of Croatia a few days later as we can still get relegated from the Nations League
  • Croydon said:

I disagree. It's not a pre-season testimonial it's a full international match halfway through a qualification campaign and a few days before a "proper" match. Rooney hasn't played international football for 2 years and won't be playing again after this.

What's the team or the manager gain from his inclusion when the whole point of these friendlies is to develop players, tactics, formations, etc? We are constantly told how difficult England managers find it due to the congested fixture lists leaving no time to work with the team, but as might put some bums on seats that's now overlooked.

It's not the end of the world I know and I'm a being a right grumpy old git about this but it's just more chipping away at the games traditions and the prioritising of commercial over football interests in my view.
    Laughable that the FA try and claim that International football is important, and then pick a player who's retired from international football and who currently plays in an essentially semi-professional league in an attempt to sell tickets.

this, england have played 21 times since rooneys last appearance also lets remember he did RETIRE personally i think it was because he would no longer get picked but i could be wrong, as ive said great servant but lets leave it there.
  • Great idea, there should be more guest appearances.

John Terry coming on in the 26th minute to a standing ovation and then walking straight back off again.

Geoff Thomas mesmerising his midfield opponents.

Ben Shephard and Gordon Ramsay from the TV etc.

Cheerleaders, overtime, Ultras and eagles.
  • Macronate said:

Great idea, there should be more guest appearances.

John Terry coming on in the 26th minute to a standing ovation and then walking straight back off again.

Geoff Thomas mesmerising his midfield opponents.

Ben Shephard and Gordon Ramsay from the TV etc.

Cheerleaders, overtime, Ultras and eagles.

Gordon Ramsay would be a regular in The Scotland team if he wasn’t busy sorting out kitchen nightmares.
  • England legend. Be good to see him get 10 mins near the end if its true about the unlimited subs.
  • Rooney will always be a legend to me. Can’t wait for the match next week to see him again in an England shirt. Even a ten minute cameo would be great to show all the current England players how a legend should be treated.
  • Sponsored links:

• I confess to being a little puzzled by this. Rooney may be our record goalscorer but, other than his first tournament as a teenager in the Euros, he’s been a major disappointment at every one since. We’ve had our failures over the years but it’s hard to imagine people like Moore, Charlton, Brooking, Keegan, Robson or Lineker trying to turn it back on our own supporters like Rooney did after the Algeria game - a total lack of class.

I don’t recall any of England’s top players over the years being given sentimental farewells and, in my view, most of them were more worthy cases than Wayne Rooney.

England caps have been devalued over the years and I suspect that commercial considerations have come to the fore in this instance.
  • 53 goals in 119 International Games is not far short of one in two. You don't reach that by not producing. Rooney of the last few years was not the same player he was once, but we shouldn't let that overshadow how good he really was at one point.
  • edited November 2018
    The only England ‘legends’ are the 1966 World Cup winning squad as they actually won something.

• edited November 2018
    Should've played him in a qualifying game against someone like Andorra.

They were the only places where he'd actually turn up and score.
  • edited November 2018
    I can’t believe what a fuss it’s caused. He will probably play 10 mins at most. I wouldn’t call him a legend as such, but he is England’s record goalscorer and 2nd highest capped player. A short run out in a meaningless friendly, to acknowledge his achievement isn’t really that big a deal.
  • "Well, grandson, I spent the centenary Remembrance Day silence editing a post about Wayne Rooney"

;)
  • Leuth said:

"Well, grandson, I spent the centenary Remembrance Day silence editing a post about Wayne Rooney"

;)

I’m seeing my grandson later on, I’ll be sure to tell him. Thanks for the prompt.

The only England ‘legends’ are the 1966 World Cup winning squad as they actually won something.

Someone has forgotten Le Tournoi.

Tim Flowers, the man the legend.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm not too fussed about the Rooney rule: ex long serving player in friendly against the old enemy.( 1812-15)

Ian Botham to play against Ireland in a test match is a fitting reward for all that foot slogging.
  • Does that mean pissed on the street? Fucking hell what a country. Sod the guns, what about the piss heads?
  • edited January 2019
    He got fined $25, I wonder if thought of doubling up.
    Strange country,glad I live in the best bit of the best country.
  • This thread should be retitled Wayne Looney!
  • Mixing sleeping pills with alcohol is asking for trouble. Suprised he wasnt caught curb crawling or sniffing anything.
  • It's a nothing story made headlines because it's Rooney, journalistic madness and laziness.
  • When I'm intoxicated I can't find the street
  • He got fined $25, I wonder if thought of doubling up.
    Strange country,glad I live in the best bit of the best country.

You live in the Loire valley?
  • It's a nothing story made headlines because it's Rooney, journalistic madness and laziness.

While I don’t care for celebrity news, I have very little sympathy for people who force themselves onto the public through lucrative advertising deals, who are then focused on when they do something stupid in public!