Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mansfield v Charlton | Sun 11 Nov | 12:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Mansfield Town v Charlton Athletic
Sunday 11th November 2018 … 12:45pm Kick-Off
FA Cup 1st Round Proper

Introduction

Form appears to have returned to South East London, with maximum points and two clean sheets from as many games it appears as though Charlton can look forward and forget about the poor run of form in October (which can happen to any team) – Football League action though can now take a break until the 24th as Cup duties now take over, first up is the historic FA Cup and a trip to League Two; Mansfield Town awaits, time to see if the Giant Killers are out in force this weekend.

The Opposition
Name: Mansfield Town | Manager: David Flitcroft
Ground: Field Mill

Of course there may well be a giant killing in Nottinghamshire this Sunday… For League Cup earlier in the season; Lee Bowyer would nail his intentions to the mast by fielding a weakened team against MK Dons and may well do the same this weekend – On a positive spin though, the Stag have never beaten the Addicks, these two sides meet for just the fourth time (two of those encounters coming in the old Second Division) with Mansfield only managing a 2-2 draw at best.

In recent years though Mansfield have been one of the major forces in League Two and if promotion continues to evade the Addicks then these meetings may well become more often – Currently occupying the last of the Play-Off places; the Stags have lost just the one league game this season (at home to Exeter City) so regardless of the team we put out, victory wont be assured regardless!!

On the playing front; Mansfield won’t have too many faces known to Charlton fans, yet Craig Davies, Krystian Peace and Conrad Logan all have experience at League One level which again reiterates the fact that this wont be a walk in the part like the Truro performance of last year

Charlton Team News
As match previewer I’ve been looking forward to saying this for a while yet it finally appears as though Billy Clarke is fit to participate in First Team affairs; the Republic of Ireland playmaker having been out of action for a year has slowly returned with minutes for the U23s and should at least be on the bench for the FA Cup clash.

Yet as one player returns two more depart for the Physios room – Luck has well and truly deserted Charlton players on the injury front of late with Igor Vetokele and Josh Cullen both now out for a number of months with a dislocated shoulder each… One final positive piece of news is the fact that German Centre-Back: Patrick Bauer is close to a return and is expected to make an appearance on Tuesday night against Swansea City in the Football League Trophy.

Phillips
Dijksteel | Pratley | Sarr
Marshall | Lapslie | Aribo | Stevenson
Fosu
Ajose | Grant

Substitutes Bench: Steer | Pearce | Morgan | Maloney | Ward | Clarke | Hackett-Fairchild

Prediction
Trying to predict how we’ll do in a Cup competition is harder than the League, quickly simply because you’re never sure of how much a priority it is in the eyes of the Management – If the League Cup encounter against MK Dons is anything to go by then you’d expect a quick exit; on the other hand Stevenage proved that there is an opportunity for others to get some game time, especially with the busy festive season fast approaching!!

Comments

• Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • I think even with a weakend team we'll stroll this by a couple of goals
  • Are we ever going to try Dijksteel in CM, supposed to be his preferred position and what he played in the academy. Would be nice to test him out and see how he gets on.

Away win 1-2 , possible shock but have a feeling we will win as we have very few proper games so we might actually take it a bit more serious.
  • Are we ever going to try Dijksteel in CM, supposed to be his preferred position and what he played in the academy. Would be nice to test him out and see how he gets on.

Away win 1-2 , possible shock but have a feeling we will win as we have very few proper games so we might actually take it a bit more serious.

I dont see it happening this weekend...

To play Dijksteel in Midfield at the moment we'd need to have Solly at Right-Back so imagine Chris is having a good rest until the Bristol Rovers game
  • can we just please make round 3 and then get either Spurs or West Ham away for the day out.

I dont see it happening this weekend...

To play Dijksteel in Midfield at the moment we'd need to have Solly at Right-Back so imagine Chris is having a good rest until the Bristol Rovers game
    Could play Marshall RB (Wing) , dont see it happening to be honest just would like to see him given the chance. If he wasn't playing RB last season, early season he probably would have been in ahead of Albie Morgan. Isn't a natural right back
  • if the team is the same as predicted by FA I predict an away win. looks a pretty good team to me though with little experience.
  • I've been supporting Charlton for 52 years and have never seen us win a cup.
    In flack the quarter finals of the FA cup and League cup is the furthest we have been in my lifetime.
    Luck has to change eventually
    2.1 Charlton and the march to Wembley begins.
  • 2 - 1 Charlton , Ajose and Clarke on the score sheet.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2018
    Don't make me laugh!

Fuck All Cup
    Charlton
    Lower league oppo

Only one result. Good luck in the next round The Stags!

3-1
  • I would not underestimate Mansfield. I think it will be a close tie. 2-2 late equaliser for us.
  • Just look at Mansfield’s record ( including pre season friendlies) since March . Quite phenomenal.

imageimage

For that reason I can see us getting beat . 2-1 Mansfield and another year when we capitulate in the Cup.
  • PopIcon said:

I would not underestimate Mansfield. I think it will be a close tie. 2-2 late equaliser for us.

No, no, no we do not want a replay. Either do the deed on the day or lose. No too bothered either way. We must have one objective this year - staying up!!

(OK only kidding)

• edited November 2018
    The lack of a league game for 2 weeks after this means that we'll probably play a stronger side than we might otherwise have put out.

Are we allowed to play our loan players (Steer, Bielik and Ward)? Sometimes their parent clubs might prevent them playing, especially Ward who is only on loan until January
  • edited November 2018
    Comments from one of the Mansfield players...

https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town/fa-cup-fan-benning-confident-mansfield-town-will-cause-charlton-problems-1-9432702

It will be a footballing game – I don’t think there will be much hustle and bustle.” - Hope this is the case, am sure both teams could do with getting through the game without any injuries, its partly why I'm glad we dont have a Non-League side as occasionally you do see their players throwing themselves into ill timed tackles because they're not up to speed with the League game
  • Comments from one of the Mansfield players...

https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town/fa-cup-fan-benning-confident-mansfield-town-will-cause-charlton-problems-1-9432702

It will be a footballing game – I don’t think there will be much hustle and bustle.” - Hope this is the case, am sure both teams could do with getting through the game without any injuries, its partly why I'm glad we dont have a Non-League side as occasionally you do see their players throwing themselves into ill timed tackles because they're not up to speed with the League game

I don't see many "cloggers" in lower division football now, even many non league sides like to knock it about and build from the back.

And when you look at our injuries, hardly any of them have come from bad tackles or dirty play.
  • Comments from one of the Mansfield players...

I don't see many "cloggers" in lower division football now, even many non league sides like to knock it about and build from the back.

And when you look at our injuries, hardly any of them have come from bad tackles or dirty play.
    Then in the same vein you do get the AFC Wimbledon's etc. who will seriously get into your faces, rough you up and make you uncomfortable

Buts thats understandable in the same sense because they dont have the ability nor the budget to go toe to toe with the bigger teams at this level else they'd get slaughtered
  • I have happily got the last two results wrong, so here we go again, 2-2
  • Sponsored links:

• David Flitcroft's comments... Have to admit I'm looking forward to hearing reviews about this Nicky Ojose that we've got

https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town/mansfield-town-dreaming-big-as-they-begin-their-fa-cup-adventure-1-9436843
  • really bad news about Cullen .. I just hope that Bowyer puts out a strong team cos if not they are very capable of beating us .. they don't score many and don't concede many .. I can't see a weakened team doing a 'Stevenage job' and mullering this lot .. as always I am going for an Addicks win, the caveat being (I repeat) depending on team selection

Mansfield Town 1 v CAFC 3
  • It's grim up north midlands. Can't see past a 5-0 defeat.
  • Mansfield Town v Charlton Athletic
    FA Cup 1st Round Proper

Introduction

Form appears to have returned to South East London, with maximum points and two clean sheets from as many games it appears as though Charlton can look forward and forget about the poor run of form in October (which can happen to any team) – Football League action though can now take a break until the 24th as Cup duties now take over, first up is the historic FA Cup and a trip to League Two; Mansfield Town awaits, time to see if the Giant Killers are out in force this weekend.

The Opposition

Of course there may well be a giant killing in Nottinghamshire this Sunday… For League Cup earlier in the season; Lee Bowyer would nail his intentions to the mast by fielding a weakened team against MK Dons and may well do the same this weekend – On a positive spin though, the Stag have never beaten the Addicks, these two sides meet for just the fourth time (two of those encounters coming in the old Second Division) with Mansfield only managing a 2-2 draw at best.

In recent years though Mansfield have been one of the major forces in League Two and if promotion continues to evade the Addicks then these meetings may well become more often – Currently occupying the last of the Play-Off places; the Stags have lost just the one league game this season (at home to Exeter City) so regardless of the team we put out, victory wont be assured regardless!!

On the playing front; Mansfield won’t have too many faces known to Charlton fans, yet Craig Davies, Krystian Peace and Conrad Logan all have experience at League One level which again reiterates the fact that this wont be a walk in the part like the Truro performance of last year

Charlton Team News
    As match previewer I’ve been looking forward to saying this for a while yet it finally appears as though Billy Clarke is fit to participate in First Team affairs; the Republic of Ireland playmaker having been out of action for a year has slowly returned with minutes for the U23s and should at least be on the bench for the FA Cup clash.

Yet as one player returns two more depart for the Physios room – Luck has well and truly deserted Charlton players on the injury front of late with Igor Vetokele and Josh Cullen both now out for a number of months with a dislocated shoulder each… One final positive piece of news is the fact that German Centre-Back: Patrick Bauer is close to a return and is expected to make an appearance on Tuesday night against Swansea City in the Football League Trophy.

Phillips
    Fosu
    Ajose | Grant

Substitutes Bench: Steer | Pearce | Morgan | Maloney | Ward | Clarke | Hackett-Fairchild

Prediction
    Trying to predict how we’ll do in a Cup competition is harder than the League, quickly simply because you’re never sure of how much a priority it is in the eyes of the Management – If the League Cup encounter against MK Dons is anything to go by then you’d expect a quick exit; on the other hand Stevenage proved that there is an opportunity for others to get some game time, especially with the busy festive season fast approaching!!
    If the teams that strong I'm going on the pitch
  • clb74 said:

Mansfield Town v Charlton Athletic
    FA Cup 1st Round Proper

Introduction

The Opposition

Charlton Team News

Phillips
    Fosu
    Ajose | Grant

Prediction
    If the teams that strong I'm going on the pitch
    No IFs and no BUTs
  • Very excited for this one, been far too long since I've been able to catch one bus or train to a Charlton game.

I think we will win but it won't be easy, I would say both teams to score is a bit of a banker. Mansfield have some good players, Tyler Walker, Otis Khan, CJ Hamilton, Danny Rose to name a few, all wouldn't look completely out of place playing for us.

I'm going Charlton 3-1, masterclass from an enthusiastic Clarke on his return, goals from Aribo, Grant and Clarke, their goal CJ Hamilton
  • edited November 2018
    There is some down time to come.
    There are a lot of reasons why a cup run is a good thing.
    My team would be

Steer
    Solly Belik Pearce Sarr
    Pratley Aribo Lapslie Ward
    Taylor Grant.
  • Around 480 Addicks have secured their place for the trip to Nottinghamshire and Mansfield have confirmed that they will be selling tickets on the afternoon of the game at the price of £17 per adult, £12 for concessions (over 65 and U18s) and £7 for under 11’s.

Mansfield are only accepting cash on the day of the match.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5be5b11616e0e/fa-cup-preview-mansfield-town-v-charlton
  • clive said:

Around 480 Addicks have secured their place for the trip to Nottinghamshire and Mansfield have confirmed that they will be selling tickets on the afternoon of the game at the price of £17 per adult, £12 for concessions (over 65 and U18s) and £7 for under 11’s.

Mansfield are only accepting cash on the day of the match.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5be5b11616e0e/fa-cup-preview-mansfield-town-v-charlton

Cheers bbc you w@nkers