Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Squad (v Republic of Ireland/Belgium/Iceland from p29)

Comments

• edited October 2018
    Ah the article I read was wrong then @paulie8290. Apologies
  • edited October 2018

I think Sancho is eligible for Trinidad and Tobago, and the Germans haven’t been averse to picking players who qualify through residency. I doubt it’s the reason but remember that the Nations League counts as a competitive fixture so if he does get on the pitch, he can’t change nationality....

Jay daSilva in the u21s for the first time too which hasn’t been mentioned yet

Probably because he already has 5 under 21 caps
    Those were won in the Toulon Tournament though werent they?

I dont think thats an official U21 competition (more of a gap between the U20s | U21s) as Jordan Cousins played in it a few years ago yet when you look at his Wikipedia page it doesnt show him as having played for the U21s
  • I think Sancho is eligible for Trinidad and Tobago, and the Germans haven’t been averse to picking players who qualify through residency. I doubt it’s the reason but remember that the Nations League counts as a competitive fixture so if he does get on the pitch, he can’t change nationality....

I dont think thats an official U21 competition (more of a gap between the U20s | U21s) as Jordan Cousins played in it a few years ago yet when you look at his Wikipedia page it doesnt show him as having played for the U21s
    There must be a difference then.
    As you say wiki doesnt show Jordan Cousins having any

But it shows JDS having 5
  • I think Sancho is eligible for Trinidad and Tobago, and the Germans haven’t been averse to picking players who qualify through residency. I doubt it’s the reason but remember that the Nations League counts as a competitive fixture so if he does get on the pitch, he can’t change nationality....

I've always found it a weird competition for that reason...

i.e. When you Google it clearly says: England U21s v Mexico U21s (from the Final over the Summer)

I've always found it a weird competition for that reason...

i.e. When you Google it clearly says: England U21s v Mexico U21s (from the Final over the Summer)
    The FA website recognises it as an U21 tournament but i think a lot of the players that go are actually U20s.
  • I think I'm getting old. I struggle to know what clubs some of the England squad play for. Is it just me?
  • I think I'm getting old. I struggle to know what clubs some of the England squad play for. Is it just me?

No it’s just we are getting more and more desperate for players so will soon start picking them out from the conference league.
  • Still can't believe Shelvey isn't getting a look in. Joint 4th for key passes per game in the premier League this season. England could do with that and he calls up a championship player and that chalobah guy who has played 4 minutes of football.
  • jac52 said:

Still can't believe Shelvey isn't getting a look in. Joint 4th for key passes per game in the premier League this season. England could do with that and he calls up a championship player and that chalobah guy who has played 4 minutes of football.

I can see Shelvey of a few seasons ago missing out on discipline/temperament reasons, he was booked a lot and his frustration on the pitch was obvious, which at international level is... Less than ideal. He is much more disciplined and mature now (maybe thanks to Benitez?) but maybe the ship has sailed for him, which would be a crying shame.
  • Sponsored links:

• Personally think it’s a joke how Shelvey has not even been considered or given a look in. He is far better than some of the players called up to the squad now and in previous squads.

He does not have an attitude or discipline problem now. He worked extremely hard with a psychologist and has since improved no end.

Technically one of our better midfielders, one of our better passers, I really think it’s ridiculous how he hasn’t even been thought of.
  • How the hell did Chalobah get a call up? He's played FOUR MINUTES of league football this season. Absolute joke and makes a complete mockery of players playing regularly.
  • Good to see Wilson and Sancho called up
  • Glad to see Wilson being included, I've liked him since his Coventry days, think Karlan Grant should look at him as inspiration for his own career

Still dont see a place for Welbeck though, think there are younger players who deserve a chance at being fourth choice Striker etc.

Disappointed there is no Mason Mount or James Maddison seeing that they both got called up last break and thought the United States game would be ideal to blood them

Same comment is made on this forum every time a new squad is announced!

Same comment is made on this forum every time a new squad is announced!
    Well @KellyCAFC has made it easy for everyone this time by providing a link with the players and their clubs ;)
  • Wilson properly deserves that call up.
  • Again I don't understand why Bettinelli and McCarthy are there, why do we need 4 keepers and are either good enough?
  • Again I don't understand why Bettinelli and McCarthy are there, why do we need 4 keepers and are either good enough?

Their ages are definitely odd when you consider they're both older than Pickford and Butland

I know Pope is 26-years old himself yet has only just gotten into the Premier League

Would think the third choice 'keeper at the moment would be better off being someone like Angus Gunn or Dean Henderson from the U21s
  • Sponsored links:

• Glad Rooney got a call up, he's been in fantastic form for DC.....
  • How the hell did Chalobah get a call up? He's played FOUR MINUTES of league football this season. Absolute joke and makes a complete mockery of players playing regularly.

Just goes to prove that when it comes to team selection Southgate is - in some ways - no different from any other England manager of the past decades.

Their ages are definitely odd when you consider they're both older than Pickford and Butland

I know Pope is 26-years old himself yet has only just gotten into the Premier League

Would think the third choice 'keeper at the moment would be better off being someone like Angus Gunn or Dean Henderson from the U21s
    If Pickford and Butland pick up injuries this weekend, I doubt either Bettinelli or McCarthy would actually start against Croatia. Southgate would surely call up Hart as the first choice keeper.
  • kellycafc said:

Good to see Wilson and Sancho called up

@paulie8290 / @kellycafc ? new account?
  • kellycafc said:

No??
  • kellycafc said:

kellycafc said:

No??
    Apologise if not, maybe coincidence? You joined a day after he left and hasn't been active since. His partner is called Kelly too, are you his partner?

Writing style is not the same though :neutral:
  • kellycafc said:

kellycafc said:

No??
    Apologise if not, maybe coincidence? You joined a day after he left and hasn't been active since. His partner is called Kelly too, are you his partner?

Yes I am his partner, he has used my account to keep updated on things, but he does not want to write anything due to criticism
  • kellycafc said:

kellycafc said:

kellycafc said:

No??

Yes I am his partner, he has used my account to keep updated on things, but he does not want to write anything due to criticism
    Cool , sorry to point out just thought i was being clever :) all the best to you both and tell him the snooker thread has died :(
  • kellycafc said:

kellycafc said:

kellycafc said:

No??

I like paulie. Tell him to come back...
    this