Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Daily Mirror this morning: Pardew will be axed/ Boothroyd to the Valley

edited November 2008 in Rumours
THIS FROM THE DAILY MIRROR:

---------------------------------------------------------
AILING HORNETS AXE BOOTHROYD

By Mike Walters 4/11/2008

Wobbling Watford pressed the panic button last night and sacked boss Aidy Boothroyd.

Boothroyd, 37, who won promotion to the Premier League, reached the FA Cup semi-finals and qualified for the play-offs in his three seasons at Vicarage Road, was fired after three consecutive defeats left the Hornets above the Championship drop zone only on goal difference.

But Charlton are ready to offer him an immediate return to management. The Addicks are poised to sack Alan Pardew after their disastrous start to the season

Watford's 4-3 home defeat by Blackpool on Saturday was the last straw for a trigger-happy Hornets board, who are looking to sell the club for £30million - and who could face a vote of no confidence at an extraordinary shareholders meeting next month.

Comments

• Lazy journalism again IMO
  • Ditto-

Mind you- he might be a good man to fire us up??????
  • Would love Boothroyd to come here. Really rate him. Saw him as a potential manager for us before we got Dowie. Watford have been a bit unlucky due to finances, closing one stand etc.
  • I agree it's lazy journalism. Given the news didn't break until late afternoon/early eveing yesterday, hard to see how our board had time for a pow-wow to decide Boothroyd was their man - and then to tip off the Mirror in time for our breakfast tables !
  • [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Would love Boothroyd to come here. Really rate him.

Would hate Boothroyd to come here. Really don't rate him
  • predictable .....

would he be any good..... maybe.... in fact probably, get in there and take out his anger on the players gt us going.... he has the experience he has premiership and promotion experience and will come into it looking at things positively...

yeah not bad....
  • Nigel - I am concerned about you - stop reading tabloids. They suck your brain out and replace it with mush.

Repent before it's too late. ;-)
  • If he's not good enough for Watford, why should he be any good for us? He got sacked for a reason. Reason being Watford were relegated, failed to go back up and are now heading for league one. Same as us.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Would love Boothroyd to come here. Really rate him.

Why not?

Took them up in his first full year in charge. Relegation from the Prem (which was always going to be hard task of keeping them up) and then play offs last year.

Not too bad if you ask me.
  • not sure he is any better than what we have now to be honest, results seem to back that up too.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]not sure he is any better than what we have now to be honest, results seem to back that up too.

Ah but they are above us so he is goal diference better than we already have
  • edited November 2008
    He wouldn't be my first choice but I could see a managerial swap working for both clubs, mainly because of the difference in styles both on and off the field of pardew and no-neck.
  • Do we really want somebody with ' Boo ' in their name?
  • edited November 2008
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Do we really want somebody with ' Boo ' in their name?

LOL We've already got half a chant for him

Booooooooooooo- throyd

The booers could boo and the get behind the teamers would be happy as well. Perfect.
  • [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Would love Boothroyd to come here. Really rate him.

Why not?

Took them up in his first full year in charge. Relegation from the Prem (which was always going to be hard task of keeping them up) and then play offs last year.

Not too bad if you ask me.

So he took a team down, failed to get them back up and is now struggling near the drop zone...........hmmm that rings a bell.
    I honestly don't see him being that much better than Pardew, and the football Watford played under him was always sh*t.
  • edited November 2008
    Algarve wrote:

''Nigel - I am concerned about you - stop reading tabloids. They suck your brain out and replace it with mush.

Repent before it's too late.''

Ha ha! I know, Algarve, I know !!! I actually spent much of my working life as the news editor of a national daily broadsheet. As such it was part of my job to read all of the other papers cover-to-cover every day and then get our reporters to follow up any stories we had missed.

Whenever I got them to check out a story from the Mirror or Sun, it invariably collapsed at the first phone call nine times out of ten.

Mind you, the one of ten that turned out to be true was often quite spectacular...

Since retiring, I still haven't broken the habit of reading all the papers every day - particularly for references to CAFC and Kent CCC. Anything interesting I find that pertains to the club, I feel duty bound to flag it up here for those who don't waste their time reasding this nonsense like me!!!
  • its all psychology...... he and pardew is furious that both clubs respectably sold/gave away quality players from under them..... hence to come in fresh and to look at the squad we have witha fresh eye would be a good thing....

he has experience and I think we need experience now....

we couldnt get kinear now, 2 wins back to back in the prem is massive as a certain alan curbishley once said....

we need to bite the bullet now......

im with AFKA now lets push it forward, if he has spent 13 million then we as a club were very niave to have given curbs sucha small anount of money in his years... he never got to ten million in a transfer window then we give two complete feckin no marks 10 mil plus, each....

no wonder we are in debt, even if the majority of it is 'friendly'

going to get adrink...
  • Good shout given our current situation, but it would be miserable football.
  • edited November 2008
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]its all psychology...... he and pardew is furious that both clubs respectably sold/gave away quality players from under them..... hence to come in fresh and to look at the squad we have witha fresh eye would be a good thing....

he has experience and I think we need experience now....

we couldnt get kinear now, 2 wins back to back in the prem is massive as a certain alan curbishley once said....

we need to bite the bullet now......

im with AFKA now lets push it forward, if he has spent 13 million then we as a club were very niave to have given curbs sucha small anount of money in his years... he never got to ten million in a transfer window then we give two complete feckin no marks 10 mil plus, each....

no wonder we are in debt, even if the majority of it is 'friendly'

going to get adrink...

That for me is the biggest mistake the Board have made, not backing Curbishley with decent money far sooner.
  • It's fashionable to have managers with 'boos' association. There's Harry Redknapp who has suffered plenty of boos in his time and Tony Adams who had plenty of booze too.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2008
    I'd rather have someone who is hungry and a new emerging talent than a manager on the end of a failure.

:)
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

Ditto Bart - He is a mini Allardyce.
  • I don't particularly want Boothroyd because I don't enjoy his style of football.

However, to be fair to the man, there has to be a little sympathy for him given that Watford have lost most of their best players:

Ashley Young 9.65m (20m current value?)
    Marlon King 5.0m
    Danny Shittu 2.0m
    Ben Foster (10m current value?)
    Darius Henderson 2.0m
    Hameur Bouazza 3.0m (honest it was)

Net gain for period 2007 to 2009 13m.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]If he's not good enough for Watford, why should he be any good for us? He got sacked for a reason. Reason being Watford were relegated, failed to go back up and are now heading for league one. Same as us.[/quote]

What you said
  • he is a bit more 'tougher' than pards but i just cant see that he is the messiah that we are looking for, as Dan said hes been sacked!! they are exactly the same as us although they havnt lost as many players as we did when they first went down. I just dont think he is the man to lead us forward at this time, how would he get respect from the players when his team was as bad as ours! The only good thing to come out of this is that it may make the board realise that they changes can and must be made.
  • The guy is a victim of his own success, The football he played when he got Watford promoted was not the long ball hoof he became known for in the Premier League. He played a slick passing game with two geniune wide players in Young and Bouazza and two strikers Henderson and King who were scoring for fun... They went up too early and were hoplessly under prepared for the premiership, it was after all mostly the same side that finished in the bottom half of the division the previous season. When they went up he decided (much like Curbs did when we went up) that playing so open would be suicide so played a direct style upto King and henderson hoping they could play off the scraps (as Stoke are doing this season) he still managed to get to an FA Cup Semi final despite King being injured for the entire season (how would we have coped with out Benty?).

Since they came down he got the play offs last season on a much smaller budget than we did, despite there being a firesale and spending exactly £0 on transfers over the summer they're still above us in the league and listening to my own mates and the SSN voxpops, the games were entertaining, and in many cases they were unlucky to go down to the odd goal. Given that they don't have any decent defenders at least the problem is obvious and can be rectified (with money) i'd take over us having loads of defenders that Pardew can't get the best out of...

The only thing Boothroyd could be questioned over is his record in the transfer market (but you could level that at Pardew). Not Saying we should get him, but he's a better manager than we've got and perhaps not the long ball merchant he's made out to be
  • An extremely good case in defence of the guy T.
  • Never trust a manager with a headset thingy.
  • keegan_210.jpg
    [cite]Posted By: trickyrickycafc[/cite]Never trust a manager with a headset thingy.
  • As the man who WOULD make a difference would say: no better than what we have already got....