Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Woolwich Ferry boats....only 2 weeks left

Comments

• Travelled on them many times, especially when I used to fly out of City airport every week.

Will be interesting to see what the new ones are like
  • I wonder if you can still go downstairs and see the engines ?
  • T_C_E said:

Talking about this earlier, spending all day on the boats playing run outs, racing the boat back by using the foot tunnel and the lift or occasionally going to the swing park. Got a bit much when I hit 40 as the knees had gone. ;)

I walked the foot tunnel the evening of the Shrewsbury playoff game, for the first time in decades. Bit creepy down there to be honest, and as we lost I'm not doing it again!
  • Spent some time when young, going across on the ferry and walking back through tunnel. There really was not much to do in the 50's
  • edited September 2018
    I read about this on an official website recently, probably Royal Greenwich. It gave all the details of the dates of closure and when it starts to run again and alternative river crossings. At the bottom it said, However during this period of closure the foot tunnel will remain open. Made me laugh, not much use to a 10 ton truck!

• I guess everyone will then use the Blackwall tunnel then so build up of traffic matchdays.. great stuff
  • I wonder if you can still go downstairs and see the engines ?

I can remember being taken on the old black paddle steamer ferry boats when I was a little lad, with it's tall thin funnel.
    A crew member took me and my Dad down into the engine room .... shiny brass and the noise, is all I can recollect now.

Must have been early 1960s.
  • Sponsored links:

• It’s a ferry not The Black Pearl

Belay your style of speech Mr Guru, lest you’ll soon be finding yourself at the gunnels, where His Majesty’s cat awaits you and shall harshly score your poxed ridden back!
  • Riviera said:

I read about this on an official website recently, probably Royal Greenwich. It gave all the details of the dates of closure and when it starts to run again and alternative river crossings. At the bottom it said, However during this period of closure the foot tunnel will remain open. Made me laugh, not much use to a 10 ton truck!

I’ve no doubt one or two Eastern European truckers will give it a go though.
  • Rudders22 said:

I guess everyone will then use the Blackwall tunnel then so build up of traffic matchdays.. great stuff

Many of todays super lorries are too tall for Blackwall.
  • I'm gutted and had no idea this was happening. My mum's dad used to work at Woolwich Power Station and knew the ferrymen, he used to take me on the ferry's every week and we were allowed to watch the engines working from the engine room. Another piece of my childhood going.... I must try and get down there before the 5th.
  • THE WOOLWICH FERRY IS NOT CLOSING DOWN.
    Just replacing the old vessels with new ones and not before time.
  • Love the smell of it when you go below the car deck
  • It’s a ferry not The Black Pearl

Belay your style of speech Mr Guru, lest you’ll soon be finding yourself at the gunnels, where His Majesty’s cat awaits you and shall harshly score your poxed ridden back!
  • Sponsored links:

• As someone from north of the water travelling over the Woolwich Ferry as a kid with my granddad was a huge part of my matchday experience and all part of the day out.

Love 'em and still tried to justify using them even when it made sense to go another way.
  • Can remember

I'm gutted and had no idea this was happening. My mum's dad used to work at Woolwich Power Station and knew the ferrymen, he used to take me on the ferry's every week and we were allowed to watch the engines working from the engine room. Another piece of my childhood going.... I must try and get down there before the 5th.

You're about my age, Red Mid. If you can recall being taken to the engine room, then I bet you're remembering the old paddle steamer ferry before it was taken off in the 1960s?

It's their replacement diesel ferries that are themselves being replaced now.
  • The TfL update states that the berthing structures will be replaced. They spent millions on them not many years ago.
  • Crusty54 said:

The TfL update states that the berthing structures will be replaced. They spent millions on them not many years ago.

That's why they need replacing.

• I'm gutted and had no idea this was happening. My mum's dad used to work at Woolwich Power Station and knew the ferrymen, he used to take me on the ferry's every week and we were allowed to watch the engines working from the engine room. Another piece of my childhood going.... I must try and get down there before the 5th.

Ffs Wally, they replaced that one ages ago. ;)
  • Ohhh. Please. Don't change.....
  • T_C_E said:

I'm gutted and had no idea this was happening. My mum's dad used to work at Woolwich Power Station and knew the ferrymen, he used to take me on the ferry's every week and we were allowed to watch the engines working from the engine room. Another piece of my childhood going.... I must try and get down there before the 5th.

Ffs Wally, they replaced that one ages ago. ;)
    Where did you get that pic, Ray?

That's the paddle steamer I remember when I was a little lad!

• This the one Oggy ? Must be what I remember too