Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Players Marks: Southend United v Charlton Athletic

For those at Roots Hall or watching on a stream your marks please including the referee:

Referee:
Phillips:
Bauer:
Pearce:
Biliek:
Solly:
Cullen:
Pratley:
Page:
Ajose:
Taylor:
Grant:
Fosu-Henry:

Lapslie: n/a
Vetokele: n/a

Comments

• Referee: 10.5 unforgettable

Phillips: 6
    Bauer: 6.5
    Pearce: 6
    Biliek: 9 great performance, creative, not afraid of the ball, great goal, MAN OF THE MATCH
    Solly: 6
    Cullen: 6.5
    Pratley: 6 lucky (ssshhh)
    Page: 6
    Ajose: 5.5
    Taylor: 6
    Grant: 6
    Fosu-Henry: 5.5 silly...
  • I was pretty indifferent when you introduced marks for the referee LL. it looks an ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT shout now. Egg on my face.
  • Phillips: 5 at fault for the goal
    Bauer: 6 went off injured
    Pearce: 7
    Biliek: 9 Best player on the pitch when playing in Midfield, best player on the pitch when playing in defence.
    Solly: 7
    Cullen: 7
    Pratley: 6 booked in 1st half limited his role in 2nd
    Page: 7 Up and down the line
    Ajose: 6 Missed a good opportunity in 1st half
    Taylor: 7 got the goal
    Grant: 7 assist for Taylor
    Fosu-Henry: 6 looked lively, kicked on the floor in lead up to red card but shouldn't have reacted.
  • Thank you SD, but not when someone gives the ref a mark of 10.5 :smiley:

Clearly was MOM
  • Thank you SD, but not when someone gives the ref a mark of 10.5 :smiley:

The most memorable performance of the season deserves a special mark! He's got to be in the running for POTY right now.
  • Phillips: 7 - Nothing much to do all game, dont really think he made an error for their goal
    Solly: 6 - Wasnt called into action much today
    Bauer: 6 - Would love to know what happened for him to go off, not bad till then
    Pearce: 6 - Steady today but silly booking
    Page: 6 - Deliveries werent the best but did well otherwise, thought he was harshly penalised for the FK that led to their goal
    Bielik: 6.5 - Would have gotten a five had it not been for the goal, tried doing too much which almost cost us a few times
    Cullen: 8 (MOTM) - Great debut, deliveries and vision were just what we needed
    Pratley: 5 - Poor game today, rightfully subbed
    Ajose: 7 - Good game, the best of our attackers in the first half
    Grant: 7.5 - Slight increase in mark for the assist
    Taylor: 8 - Good to see him get his goal

Fosu: 6 - Loses a mark for his idiotic red, he'll be so important for the season ahead
    Lapslie: 7 - Good cameo, better than anything Pratley managed I felt

Referee: 5 - Too hasty in booking our players, too slow booking theirs... Gets a mark for how he handled the fight
  • Referee: 6 bit of a homer, but got all 3 red cards right and Pearce lucky to stay on IMO
    Phillips: 6.5 did well with distribution for the most part, and came out to win the ball well
    Bauer: 6 did ok until he got injured
    Pearce: 5 bullied, fouled their players a lot and should have been sent off for being aggressive to the ref and their player who got sent off
    Biliek: 7 extra mark for the goal, looked jittery at times but battled well
    Solly: 6.5 average Solly game
    Cullen: 7 looked decent, nice corners
    Pratley: 6.5 very cynical foul for the card, holds on to the ball for too long at times, good energy
    Page: 7 bombed along the line and was an outlet
    Ajose: 6.5 hassled and harried without threatening, one big chance he volleyed well wide
    Taylor: 7 horrible to play against, battled well, good goal
    Grant: 7 good running and great play for the opener
    Fosu-Henry: 2 dived, didn't get away with it, headbutted the Southend player

• Referee: 9 Thought he played a blinder MOM
    Phillips: 6 Didnt have a great deal to do
    Bauer: 6 Coped as youd expect
    Pearce: 7 Lead by example
    Biliek:8 Looked comfortable on the ball but he isnt a centreback and nearly got caught out trying to play from the back
    Solly: 6 Solid Solly
    Cullen: 7 Will get better as the season progresses, Good dead ball deliveries
    Pratley:5 Not his best outing
    Page: 6 Solid Paige
    Ajose:5 Should be better than he is but it wasnt working for him in midfield
    Taylor: 6 Didnt do much but scored
    Grant: 5 Didnt do much but got an assist
    Fosu-Henry: 5 Didnt do much but got himself sent off....I just thought what a dick after waiting all this time for him to get fit.

• Referee: 6.5
    Bauer: 5.5
    Biliek:7
    Solly: 6.5
    Pratley: 6
    Ajose: 6
    Taylor: 7
    Grant: 7.5
    Fosu-Henry: 7
  • Sponsored links:

• Referee: 5. Couldn't keep up with play enough.
    Phillips: 6.5
    Bauer: 7
    Pearce: 7.5
    Biliek: 8
    Pratley: 7
    Page: 7
    Ajose: 5. missed a great first half chance, should have scored it.
    Taylor: 6.5
    Grant: 6.5
    Fosu-Henry: 7.5
  • edited September 2018
    Phillips: 5.5 - It looked a bad mistake for the goal. The angle was a bit tough so I'll come back and edit it if need be once I see the highlights. Other than that he was solid and didn't have a lot to do. But it's maintaining focus when you don't have a lot to do that separates average keepers from good ones, and more pertinently, the young from the experienced.

Bauer: 6.5 - Solid and not fussed.

Pearce: 6.5 - A silly and yet wholly predictable booking. Also the way Hopper took a touch and just rinsed him inside was scary.

Bielik: 7.5 - MOTM - Thought the game passed him by in the first half a bit as we were playing more direct and going in to the channels. Looked very good at center half. A lovely goal. He looks a real find.

Solly: 6 - Solid if unspectacular. Because he doesn't get forward we end up pushing the player on the right side of the diamond out wide on the right and that can leave us exposed at times.

Cullen: 7 - Extra half point for the assist and general good set piece delivery. Looked better when moved to the base of the diamond. A good ball playing midfielder who put in a shift. As mentioned above he looked awkward at times when he he had to pull out wide, but he won a couple of good headers in the box and generally provided something we haven't had this season.

Pratley: 6 - At times very good, at times maddening. Sometimes his touch looks excellent and his reading of the game looks solid. At other times he has the touch of a breeze block and he gets sucked completely out of position. Him getting sucked out of position and being caught ball watching led to Solly being exposed for their goal. With Bielik playing well and Cullen being brought in, he's going to have some serious competition for his place. Hopefully it brings the best out of him.

Page: 7 - Looked good. Has to cover so much ground. Put a couple of good balls in but I find his delivery and decision making in the final third a bit questionable at times. Nonetheless, we're lucky to have him.

Ajose: 6.5 - I probably could have written most of this before the game: He looked dangerous with his movement and dragged players out of position. He made some smart runs wide and in behind. But ultimately there wasn't a lot of end product. To be fair to him he was 1) playing out of position, 2) deprived of service to feet, and 3) Won a penalty singlehandedly that wasn't given.

Taylor: 6.5 - Extra half point for the goal but other than that I thought he was average.

Grant: 7 - Not his best game and again at times his decision making let him down. But his work for the opening goal was excellent, and he still looks a very threatening player at times.

Fosu-Henry: 4 - Looked badly off the pace for most of his time on the pitch. I think it was completely unfair to bring him on for 35 minutes after he'd missed ~5 weeks and had five days of training. Didn't cover enough ground on the lefthand side of the diamond. Didn't make a lot happen. Was booked for a bit of a silly dive but then the sending off was unnecessary. It feels like we're making the same mistake with him over and over again by bringing him in to the side right after an injury and then throwing him on the pitch for a lengthy period of time.

I said in the build up that I didn't understand why we had to rush him back. I later realized that if he wasn't on the bench today he would have had an extra maybe day or two of training with the U23s, so I do understand why that's not worth holding him back until Tuesday. What I don't understand at all is giving him 35-40 minutes to play when you could have brought on Lapslie earlier.

Lapslie: n/a I still find his technical ability to be somewhat enigmatic but the little chipped ball he played over the top for Karlan was exquisite.

Vetokele: n/a Seemed to be the only one with a calm head during the brawl. Wish he'd come on sooner. More to come from him.

Referee: 5 - I mean an absolutely legendary performance, but here's my thinking:
    1) I've complained a lot about the grotesque nature of "professional fouls" in this league because we're usually on the receiving end, but Pratley's in the first half was awful and he should have gone.
    2) Because he gets away with his, we can't have any complaints when White comes in with a knee-high leg breaking tackle on Fosu toward the end of the game. But that was also absolutely ridiculous and should have seen White sent off. I know a lot of leniency is given when something is "a professional foul" which is one of my frustrations with the modern interpretation of the laws of the game, but there has to be a line whereby it's "what you did to stop him could have seriously injured him" and that has to be a sending off.
    3) During the fight, in which Fosu was trod on, Kightly was head-butted, and Oxley threw a shove/punch, he stood back and watched it all unfold, as did the linesman. Now like, +10 for dramatic effect, but I feel like at least one of them has to go in there and break it up. If it was just a bit of shoving, fair enough, but when three red card offenses have occurred in such a short span surely it's your job to ensure things don't get any worse? And he didn't do that, and I find that very strange. I seem to be out on my own on this last point though.

• Referee: 7
    Bauer: 6
    Grant: 7
    Fosu-Henry:5
  • Referee: 6
    Phillips: 6 - decent keeping, poor distribution
    Biliek: 7.5
    Cullen: 7.5
    Pratley: 5.5
    Page: 6.5
    Grant: 6.5
    Fosu-Henry: 5
  • Referee: 6.5
    Pearce: 8
    Pratley: 6.5
    Ajose: 6.5
    Fosu-Henry: 6.5

• Referee: 5
    Pearce: 7.5
    Biliek:7.5
    Pratley:7
    Fosu-Henry: 7.5
  • edited September 2018
    Referee: 6 had a pie in his pocket
    Pratley:6.5
    Fosu-Henry: 7

• Fosu getting joint top marks after a dive and being sent off.... :no_mouth:
  • Referee: 6.5 not the best but also not the worst
    Phillips: 7.5 getting to like the lad
    Bauer: 7.5 steady assume an injury
    Pearce: 7.5 Good to see him back
    Biliek: 9 already MoM before scoring quality player
    Solly: 8 thought he done great they had him on toast until Lapsie came on 2nd half (well done Bow)
    Cullen: 7.5 don’t look match fit but did not hide and can take a corner
    Pratley: 6 not his best game but likes a battle
    Page: 8 great game
    Ajose: 6 went missing on the left side a lot
    Taylor: 6.5 work hard but tens to fall over to much
    Grant: 7 best of the front player today
    Fosu-Henry: 6 certainly won’t be rushed back too early this time

Lapslie: 7 made a big difference right side

Pearce: 6.5
    Biliek:8
    Pratley:6
    Fosu-Henry: 6
  • Sponsored links:

Pearce: 8
    Biliek:8.5
    Fosu-Henry 6
  • Referee: 7 - some odd decisions but probably got the key ones right
    Phillips: 7 - solid
    Bauer: 7 - good, hope he is not seriously injured
    Pearce: 7 - great to have him back
    Biliek:8 - what a signing
    Solly: 7 - was left very exposed at times but coped well
    Cullen: 7 - corners and free kicks the best we have seen for ages; generally good although got sucked out of position sometimes leaving Solly exposed
    Pratley: 6 - - not at his best although good competitor
    Page: 6.5 - steady and got down wing well in first half
    Ajose: 6.5 - decent game although not sure exactly where he fits in tactically
    Taylor: 6.5 - great competitor and gives us something different. Right place at the right time for the goal
    Grant: 7.5 - always running the channels and causing problems.
    Fosu-Henry 7 - really look forward to him being fully fit again. Very very exciting.

Lapslie: 7 - continue to be impressed, we have a real diamond here
    Vetokele: n/a - on too short a time. High expectations from everyone which I don't think will be realised. (hope I'm wrong)
  • Referee: 5.5
    Ajose: 7
    Fosu-Henry: 6
  • Referee: 4.5
    Pratley: 5.5
    Ajose: 7
    Fosu-Henry: 5
  • Referee: 6, got the red cards right but we should have had a pen
    Phillips: 6.5, good saves but bad distribution, can’t kick
    Bauer: 7, solid, didn’t see his injury but hopefully it’s not too serious
    Pearce: 7, some good moments but his yellow card was just stupid
    Biliek: 8, different class and bullet header but sometimes he wants too much time
    Solly: 6.5, didn’t stand out but didn’t do anything wrong
    Cullen: 7, finally someone who can take a good set piece, never stopped running
    Pratley: 6.5, second touch was always a tackle but most of the time he won that tackle
    Page: 7, defended well and is good getting forward
    Ajose: 6.5, not a bad game but didn’t do much
    Taylor: 7, another goal and is a nightmare for defenders, although he does like trying to win a free kick
    Grant: 8, never gives up, got pace and strength, did really well to get the assist for our first goal
    Fosu-Henry: 6.5, scares the life out of defenders and looked lively. but -1 for getting booked for diving and then getting a straight red. maybe not a bad thing that he’s out for 3 games and it means he can’t be rushed back

• (Ifollow)

Referee: 6,5 - difficult game
    Phillips: 6,5 - looks more confident, minus for distribution and the goal
    Biliek: 8 - great goal and love the way he brings the ball forward, but he still gives it away to often
    Solly: 6,5
    Cullen: 7 - much needed set pieces, simple and nice passing, expect more to come
    Pratley: 5,5 - caught out for pace, lucky the ref let him stay on
    Page: 8,5 MOM - solid again, levelling up his game
    Ajose: 7 - lively in new role, did his bit, also defensively
    Taylor: 6,5 - a goal in an average game, draws fouls
    Grant: 7 - our biggest threat up front, nice assist
    Fosu-Henry: 5,5
  • Referee: 6.5
    Phillips: 6.5
    Bauer: 6
    Pearce: 6
    Biliek: 7
    Solly: 6.5
    Cullen: 6.5
    Pratley: 6 Discipline becomming an issue
    Ajose: 6
    Taylor: 6 Getting caught up with fighting with the centre halves rather than trying to find space.
    Fosu-Henry: 4.5

• edited September 2018
    Fosu-Henry: 5.5. Deduction for needless sending off.

Crowd 10. We were great!!
  • edited September 2018
    kimbo said:

Crowd 10. We were great!!

Love it, Kimbo! :smile:

• Referee: 5 odd. Pratley lucky to stay on, but soft bookings for others of ours. No issue with the red cards, although I was convinced Oxley was getting away with it, the time it took to finally show the card.

Phillips: 6 let down by his distribution. Not just balls into touch. Some poor decision making in passing/throwing out, putting teammates under pressure.

Bauer: 6.5 Didn’t realise he was injured & thought Pearce more likely to be subbed at that stage.

Pearce: 6 Caught out a couple of times, including the booking. Good leader though.

Biliek: 8.5 Thought he was excellent at Accrington & even better yesterday. Composed & comfortable in either mid or defence. Great, bullet header for the goal.

Solly: 6.5 Solid performance

Cullen: 8 Looked a bit slow at the start, but very quickly grew into the game. Always busy, made himself available & great distribution.

Pratley: 6 Lucky boy

Page: 7 Really liking his storming runs and attacking side of his game.

Ajose: 7 Unusual position for him, but I thought he was busy and used the ball well.

Taylor: 7 A real, strong hold-up man. Puts a helluva shift in & right place for goal.

Grant: 7.5 Crawley Loan has done him the world of good. Bustling, great shift.

Fosu-Henry: 6 Showed some great touches and flashes of the quick feet & skill that he has. Wrong to react, but Kightly’s kick was very cowardly.