Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Squad (v Republic of Ireland/Belgium/Iceland from p29)

So the squad is due to be announced in 10 minutes are we expecting any surprises.

I know we have the other thread but thats to discuss future england talent, thought it would be worth a new thread for this squad announcement.

Pope injured

So keepers maybe Pickford, Butland and Heaton.

Will we see Gomez?

Comments

• paulie loves a new thread :smile: haha
  • Gomez should be in there 100%
  • We will 100% see Gomez, especially now Cahill has retired.

Maybe Callum Wilson to replace Vardy.
  • If we don't see Gomez, Southgate the dirty Crawley wanker can do one.
  • Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Jack Butland (Stoke City), Dele (Tottenham Hotspur), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea), Harry Maguire (Leicester City), Alex McCarthy (Southampton), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), John Stones (Manchester City), James Tarkowski (Burnley), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur), Kyle Walker (Manchester City), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal).
  • Alex McCarthy as 3rd choice keeper
  • We need another proper centre forward in the squad, Wilson deserves a chance.
  • Pope, Young, Vardy, Cahill and Jones
    replaced by
    McCarthy, Shaw, Lallana, Gomez and Tarkowski
  • Shame someone like Foden isn't included. Would also have Chilwell over Rose.
  • Would have Maddison over Lallana at the moment, even though Lallana is good for England
  • Sponsored links:

Gotta be more effective than Danny Welbeck
  • this is why Gareth Soutgate is so decent of a person and manager.
  • i hope we have a go in these nations league games as would be good to win the comp next summer.
  • edited August 2018
    Danny Welbeck (Arsenal).

James Tarkowski (Burnley),

Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea),

Jordan Pickford (Everton),

Harry Maguire (Leicester City),

Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool),
    Adam Lallana (Liverpool),
    Joe Gomez (Liverpool),
    Jordan Henderson (Liverpool),

Fabian Delph (Manchester City),
    Raheem Sterling (Manchester City),
    John Stones (Manchester City),
    Kyle Walker (Manchester City),

Jesse Lingard (Manchester United),
    Marcus Rashford (Manchester United),
    Luke Shaw (Manchester United),

Alex McCarthy (Southampton),

Jack Butland (Stoke City),

Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur),
    Dele Ali(Tottenham Hotspur),
    Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur),
    Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur),
    Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur),

• I know Southgate said he wanted to be loyal to the World Cup squad yet

(1) That can only go on for so long else we'll be like the Germans etc. who went further and won the competition last time / then crashed out the groups the next time
    (2) Why Danny Welbeck still?

Yeah but then where would Welbeck fit in..
  • I’d have gone for Wilson over welbeck. If Sturridge stays fit (big if) he’ll be back too.

(1) That can only go on for so long else we'll be like the Germans etc. who went further and won the competition last time / then crashed out the groups the next time

Apart from Wellbeck, who actually has a really good international scoring record and might be that one unicorn player who plays better for England than he does for his club, who do you like object to in the squad FA? Or am I misreading something?

Yeah looks good to me. If he were playing regularly I think Lookman would have a case to be invokved. But as for the likes of Foden and Sancho their time will come. They're still only 18. Given we're at the start of a cycle I don't think there's any need to rush them in to the senior team and I do think playing at youth level internationally can provide good experience.

Glad Shaw is back. Always thought he looked decent despite what Jose might think. Obviously glad Gomez is back especially with Cahill retiring and because I don't really rate Jones and I think Gomez is better suited to a back three. But I think Gomez would have gone to the World Cup if fit.

Given the number of holdovers from the World Cup it's just another good reminder of how young this squad is.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2018
    SDAddick said:

I know Southgate said he wanted to be loyal to the World Cup squad yet

Apart from Wellbeck, who actually has a really good international scoring record and might be that one unicorn player who plays better for England than he does for his club, who do you like object to in the squad FA? Or am I misreading something?

Yeah looks good to me. If he were playing regularly I think Lookman would have a case to be invokved. But as for the likes of Foden and Sancho their time will come. They're still only 18. Given we're at the start of a cycle I don't think there's any need to rush them in to the senior team and I do think playing at youth level internationally can provide good experience.

Glad Shaw is back. Always thought he looked decent despite what Jose might think. Obviously glad Gomez is back especially with Cahill retiring and because I don't really rate Jones and I think Gomez is better suited to a back three. But I think Gomez would have gone to the World Cup if fit.

Given the number of holdovers from the World Cup it's just another good reminder of how young this squad is.
    Have to admit apart from Welbeck (who like you say probably gets into the Squad because he's done quite well in and England shirt) there arent any at the moment who dont deserve to be in there at present - What worries me (and what I meant by point one) is the fact that Southgate might continue to be loyal to these players for too long, so ignore someone who does deserve a shout which hinders England in the future

i.e. I used Germany for an example as it felt at the World Cup that Low was too loyal to the likes of some of the players who won him the World Cup yet ignored Sane who could have made a big difference

Agree RE: Shaw though, ironically I was talking to someone at work today and felt that he's been Man Utd's best defender this season (which is further ironic due to the past issues he's had with Jose)

I like Southgate but an international manager should always be respectful, but never loyal!
  • edited August 2018

SDAddick said:

Have to admit apart from Welbeck (who like you say probably gets into the Squad because he's done quite well in and England shirt) there arent any at the moment who dont deserve to be in there at present - What worries me (and what I meant by point one) is the fact that Southgate might continue to be loyal to these players for too long, so ignore someone who does deserve a shout which hinders England in the future

i.e. I used Germany for an example as it felt at the World Cup that Low was too loyal to the likes of some of the players who won him the World Cup yet ignored Sane who could have made a big difference

Agree RE: Shaw though, ironically I was talking to someone at work today and felt that he's been Man Utd's best defender this season (which is further ironic due to the past issues he's had with Jose)
    Ok makes sense now, I think I read it differently. But I completely agree. If Harry Maguire goes off the boil this season, he should be dropped, regardless of his World Cup performance.

And yeah completely agree on Low, and there are a lot in Germany who have felt for quite some time he was overly loyal to players like Podolski or Mario Gomez even when they were well past their best.

On a separate note, and these are two different things, in writing my reply to you earlier I was thinking about how England are really just starting to produce players who might be as well, if not better suited to international/continental football than they are to the Premier League. I'm thinking of the likes of Foden, Dominic Solanke who I really rate, Lookman might well fall into that category, possibly Mason Mount, possibly even Joe Gomez, and one or two others depending on how they develop.

And that's a new thing because for years and years it's been the exact opposite, where England produce players well suited to the Prem but not necessarily to the more technical and slower paced international game. And that's going to mean that those players may need to go abroad in a way that someone like Michael Carrick and Jack Wilshere should have but didn't. But it may also mean sometimes they get picked ahead of players who might be doing better in the league but who are less well suited to the international game. I think Jamie Vardy is a good example of someone who really needs the pace and the space in behind that the Premier League offers, and as such never really settled for England.
  • edited August 2018
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

On a separate note, and these are two different things, in writing my reply to you earlier I was thinking about how England are really just starting to produce players who might be as well, if not better suited to international/continental football than they are to the Premier League. I'm thinking of the likes of Foden, Dominic Solanke who I really rate, Lookman might well fall into that category, possibly Mason Mount, possibly even Joe Gomez, and one or two others depending on how they develop.
    It probably also helps how we've done in the U17 / U20 World Cup ... Our England teams have probably been laughed at a little bit over past over the last few years yet the last 12-months have woken up the German / Italian / Spanish clubs that we can play Football and as I mentioned on the other England thread; Reiss Nelson seems to be the next follow that route

Whats daft is the fact that the big Premier League teams (apart from Lookman at the moment) are letting these kids go because their letting Contracts run down - If anything they need to start being smart, if Lookman etc. wants to leave then fair enough but insert a buy back clause... Everton more than any club should be aware of that with how they fell foul to losing Deulofeu back to Barcelona

this .. Welbeck ? … under whelming
  • edited August 2018
    Do we have any promising young strikers coming through? You know a proper Karlan Grant type of attacker...
  • (2) Why Danny Welbeck still?

Unfortunately there aren't that many other options available and Welbeck's record for England is decent enough.

• Southgate has played that incredibly safe.

Gomez and lallana would have been nailed on for the WC if they weren’t injured. Bringing Luke Shaw back is the right decision because he is good enough to become England’s main Left (Wing) back in the near future.

I would have personally dropped Welbeck and Delph, but he must not think anyone else deserving of there places. With only three games into the season it’s too early to judge whether Maddison, Will Hughes, Callum Wilson are good enough and consistent enough to play for England.
  • Lewis Cook would have been a good shout ahead of Delph yet the latter is one of those players who can play anywhere
  • I still think there is a place for Jonjo in that squad, a game turner of a player

Lallana has to be involved as long as he is fit, however the youngsters going abroad are going to be an invaluable source for years to come yet.

Vardy has been enormously gracious is standing aside as had Gary Cahill

Gomez, Tarkowski and McGuire are a solid 3 centre halves all capable of bringing the ball out without thumping it long. Welbeck works his bollocks off for the cause and is good for a goal occasionally so I get why he is there