Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

50s Line ups

As a Newbie to this forum, though an Oldie otherwise, I am looking for some info concerning our starting 11 v Spurs away on Boxing Day 26 Dec 1951. As a lad I was a regular at the Valley in the early 50s and sometimes at deby matches away. The Spurs game is one etched in my memory that will never go away. We won 3-2 in a fantastic game when Tony Pawson (amateur and erstwhile cricketer and fisherman) in his first game for us gave one of those performances that lives with one for all of time.
I recently got hold of a programme from that day on EBay but our Line Up had changes to start and I would like to find out what the changes were as I cannot remember now. By the way I always stood at the pitch edge railing to the left and just behand the goal at the open end of the ground. It just had to be that way as Sam Bartram was my idol.
Can anyone help me with the starting 11 v Spurs or point me to someone who has the records please.

Comments

• I have feeling this thread may go the wrong way.
  • Just had a search and couldn't find a decent group photo that wouldn't get me buried on here.
  • @Henry Irving should be able to assist with this - for the small donation of a cardigan :wink:
  • Bartram,Hewie,Lock, Fenton, Ufton, Hammond, Pawson, Vaughan, Hurst, Kiernan, Duffy
  • In front of an attendance of 49,350 , Home & Away book by Colin Cameron is what you need.
  • edited June 2018
    We lost three nil to Spurs at the Valley on Christmas day (37,111) with a team of Bartram, Hewie, Lock, Fenton, Ufton, Johnson, Hurst, Cullum, Vaughan, Kiernan and Duffy.

On Boxing day we played the reverse fixture at While Hart Lane (49,350) and won 3 - 2 (Kiernan 40, 44, Pawson 86) with a team of Bartram, Hewie, Lock, Fenton, Ufton, Hammond, Pawson, Vaughan, Hurst, Kiernan and Duffy. Charlton had been two down after 34 minutes.

Pawson only played one more game for Charlton despite this late winner

This was Spurs first defeat to a London side since 1948.

All the line ups are from Colin Cameron's home and away book available from the Charlton Athletic Museum. £10 if we have any left. cafchistorian@gmail.com for details.

• edited June 2018
  • This must be one of the shortest threads ever, now the answer has been supplied with such detail. I hear Henry has put in a bid for Thread Killer's nom-de-plume.
  • @Samsman if you are a fan of Sam Bartram then you really should visit the museum where we have his personal collection of memorabilia and many other items relating to him

• We lost three nil to Spurs at the Valley on Christmas day (37,111) with a team of Bartram, Hewie, Lock, Fenton, Ufton, Johnson, Hurst, Cullum, Vaughan, Kiernan and Duffy.

On Boxing day we played the reverse fixture at While Hart Lane (49,350) and won 3 - 2 (Kiernan 40, 44, Pawson 86) with a team of Bartram, Hewie, Lock, Fenton, Ufton, Hammond, Pawson, Vaughan, Hurst, Kiernan and Duffy. Charlton had been two down after 34 minutes.

All the line ups are from Colin Cameron's home and away book available from the Charlton Athletic Museum. £10 if we have any left. cafchistorian@gmail.com for details.

We lost three nil to Spurs at the Valley on Christmas day (37,111) with a team of Bartram, Hewie, Lock, Fenton, Ufton, Johnson, Hurst, Cullum, Vaughan, Kiernan and Duffy.

Thanks to Henry Irving and others. Changes to the printed Spurs programme for us were Hammond for Johnson and Pawson for Evans.
    Pawson was quite unbelieveable that day and as you say coming from 2-0 down it was one hell of a win. I can still see Pawson streaking from one end to the other to score the winner. Some things live with you for ever. I will get Colin`s book. Thanks again.
  • Sponsored links:

For Sam fans or just Charlton fans

Available from the museum via @charltonnick
  • Samsman said:

Thanks to Henry Irving and others. Changes to the printed Spurs programme for us were Hammond for Johnson and Pawson for Evans.
    Pawson was quite unbelieveable that day and as you say coming from 2-0 down it was one hell of a win. I can still see Pawson streaking from one end to the other to score the winner. Some things live with you for ever. I will get Colin`s book. Thanks again.
    You would have thought he’d have left his kit on.