Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Potholes Epidemic!

It’s actually true, Forget last nights result, pot noodles flavours and worries about our prolonged takeover, we are not alone with our dreaded potholes problems!

https://news.sky.com/story/national-embarrassment-potholes-costing-motorists-1-million-a-month-11367152

Comments

• Acutely aware of this as a racing cyclist. Bad enough hitting them on training rides or commutes, but in road races they're absolutely fucking lethal. In a tight bunch travelling at 50k/h it's impossible to point out or respond quickly enough to them. I've had two races this year where potholes have caused massive crashes - one was a lad from Warrington RC who was two riders in front of me on a slight downhill - broke his frame as he went into it and crashed right in front of me. Shoulder reconstruction, 5 grand on a new bike

It's definitely getting worse - massive under-investment in road surfacing in the last 30 years and current measures (surface dressing done by lazy thick bastards which is designed to extend the life of a road by 7-10 years) generally last less than a year before craters six inches deep and ten foot wide open up the first time it dips below five degrees

Still, people want to pay less tax, things like this will always suffer.
  • Using the A2 between the Strood turnoff and the M25 can be a nightmare... Constantly having to swerve slightly so that you dont damage your suspension or get a puncture - Its worse than speeding to an extent

A2 is even worse between Jct 4 and 5...
  • Certainly want decent roads but ain’t going to be indoor cycling track good.
  • edited May 2018
    There was a big pot hole at the top of my old road in Crystal Palace. The council did nothing until some poor sod on a motorbike hit it and went over his handlebars into a tree. His body wasn't cold before they then decided it was worth filling in.
  • They damage cars and can kill cyclists or motorcyclists - especially when they become a puddle in rain. It is a disgrace they are not being dealt with!
  • Daggs said:

Acutely aware of this as a racing cyclist. Bad enough hitting them on training rides or commutes, but in road races they're absolutely fucking lethal. In a tight bunch travelling at 50k/h it's impossible to point out or respond quickly enough to them. I've had two races this year where potholes have caused massive crashes - one was a lad from Warrington RC who was two riders in front of me on a slight downhill - broke his frame as he went into it and crashed right in front of me. Shoulder reconstruction, 5 grand on a new bike

It's definitely getting worse - massive under-investment in road surfacing in the last 30 years and current measures (surface dressing done by lazy thick bastards which is designed to extend the life of a road by 7-10 years) generally last less than a year before craters six inches deep and ten foot wide open up the first time it dips below five degrees

Yup! roads are bad no doubt. Very bad if you ride on two wheels, motorbike or scooter. But of course those of us who do, pay tax for the privilege, unlike cyclists, who use the roads for free.
    Been done on here before but just to clarify cyclists pay as much tax towards the repair of roads as car drivers because the vehicle tax car drivers pay does not go towards repairing the roads. The local council pays for those repairs.

https://www.osv.ltd.uk/where-does-vehicle-tax-go/
    But I pay all the other taxes a cyclist pays, then I pay an extra tax to use my scooter. Cyclists therefore should also pay the extra tax to use the roads.
  • edited May 2018
    Daggs said:

Daggs said:

Acutely aware of this as a racing cyclist. Bad enough hitting them on training rides or commutes, but in road races they're absolutely fucking lethal. In a tight bunch travelling at 50k/h it's impossible to point out or respond quickly enough to them. I've had two races this year where potholes have caused massive crashes - one was a lad from Warrington RC who was two riders in front of me on a slight downhill - broke his frame as he went into it and crashed right in front of me. Shoulder reconstruction, 5 grand on a new bike

Yup! roads are bad no doubt. Very bad if you ride on two wheels, motorbike or scooter. But of course those of us who do, pay tax for the privilege, unlike cyclists, who use the roads for free.
    Been done on here before but just to clarify cyclists pay as much tax towards the repair of roads as car drivers because the vehicle tax car drivers pay does not go towards repairing the roads. The local council pays for those repairs.

But I pay all the other taxes a cyclist pays, then I pay an extra tax to use my scooter. Cyclists therefore should also pay the extra tax to use the roads.
    Spot on, the cyclists dont seem to get this do they?
    Also if they paid for a test, road insurance and an MOT for their bike then that Tax would help.
  • Greenie said:

Daggs said:

Daggs said:

Also if they paid for a test, road insurance and an MOT for their bike then that Tax would help.
    Apart from the fact that none of those go to road maintenance.
  • Sponsored links:

• iainment said:

Greenie said:

Daggs said:

Daggs said:

Ah thats another argument, but nonetheless, cyclists should pay like other road users have too.
  • iainment said:

Greenie said:

Daggs said:

Daggs said:

But where do councils get their money from? Predominantly Central Government.
  • Look, I'm not out to victimise cyclists. Most of them are perfectly reasonable people who enjoy their bicycles. I just think they should contribute as all other road users do.
    I don't want them to pay an annual road tax (VDC) But how about a one off tax on every adult bicycle sold? With that money put into the 'consolidation fund' Just like all us other road users.
    It seems fair to me and it then gives cyclists the right to moan about the state of our roads.
  • I think the chart on this page shows why charging bicycles for wear and tear on the roads is stupid. Maybe cyclists should par pro-rata?

https://streets.mn/2016/07/07/chart-of-the-day-vehicle-weight-vs-road-damage-levels/

• edited May 2018
    Complained to Kent County Council after this thread reminded me to do so. There are some horrific potholes on our road and all they have done is put some paint around some of them a few months back. Some of them are dangerous and rapidly expanding.

Kent have a great priority list when dealing with these. Ranging from dealing with them in 2 hours if they are dangerous (who are they fooling) and 7 days if it poses a safety risk (this seems to mean that there is a sinkhole that would absorb half the town) to the "we'll fix it when we get to it" option of it'll be put into our planned maintenance plan.

So far, this maintenance plan only seems to consist of getting someone to paint random lines around the odd pothole with the addition of a number here and there.

I've already lost one tyre to our road this year when encountering a pothole that someone filled in with two hubcaps at one point.
  • Aren't cars charged on emissions? Cyclists don't produce the emissions that are charged for - as is so for quite a few cars - so there would be no charge.

Also don't forget most cyclists own cars, so already pay for that.
  • I own a car and pay for it. I also own a Vespa and I pay again for that. Cyclists should pay, it's simple.
    It doesn't matter whether VED is charged on emissions, engine size or the colour of the fucking upholstery. It all goes into the 'consolidation fund' Which is where a tax on bicycles should go.
  • M2 London-bound from Medway services onwards is absolutely beyond belief. Disgraceful.
  • It seems that if there is a bit of snow then once it clears there are potholes everywhere. I don't remember this happening thirty years ago. I think it's because government departments hire cowboys on the cheap who do a crap job.
  • It seems that if there is a bit of snow then once it clears there are potholes everywhere. I don't remember this happening thirty years ago. I think it's because government departments hire cowboys on the cheap who do a crap job.

That's neo liberalism and austerity for you.
  • Sponsored links:

I think the increase in potholes over the last 30 years is somehow linked to the disappearance of white dog shit over the same period.
  • Too many cars, not enough money to pay for essential services, less tax but higher expectations.
  • Daggs said:

I own a car and pay for it. I also own a Vespa and I pay again for that. Cyclists should pay, it's simple.
    It doesn't matter whether VED is charged on emissions, engine size or the colour of the fucking upholstery. It all goes into the 'consolidation fund' Which is where a tax on bicycles should go.

I accept your paying twice but sadly like all road users our road tax doesn't really go on the roads which is wrong. I'm a car user and cycle but don't agree I should pay more. Perhaps you should only pay once.
  • On the radio last night I heard of a charity cyclist riding Lands End to John O'groats and fell off after hitting a pot hole, in Yorkshire. Sadly he was hit by a car and died.
    I guess this must happen to some motor bike riders.
  • Acutely aware of this as a racing cyclist. Bad enough hitting them on training rides or commutes, but in road races they're absolutely fucking lethal. In a tight bunch travelling at 50k/h it's impossible to point out or respond quickly enough to them. I've had two races this year where potholes have caused massive crashes - one was a lad from Warrington RC who was two riders in front of me on a slight downhill - broke his frame as he went into it and crashed right in front of me. Shoulder reconstruction, 5 grand on a new bike

You would support a road fund licence on cyclists then.
  • edited May 2018
    Who pays for what is a separate argument - it is something the money has to be found for. Roads serve an economic purpose! We pay for it in damage to our cars and more importantly, hundreds of people have been killed or seriously injured as a result of potholes in the last few years where it has become silly. We are not a third world country FFS!
  • edited May 2018

It seems that if there is a bit of snow then once it clears there are potholes everywhere. I don't remember this happening thirty years ago. I think it's because government departments hire cowboys on the cheap who do a crap job.

I think this is a point many miss. Also comapnies that have to dig up the road to lay cables or fix leaks etc... should be responsible for making decent repairs to the road they have dug up. What they do is totally half hearted and creates a weakness that creates potholes - legislation could sort that out! My dad was an electrician with the LEB and many moons ago they took this matter far more responsibly.
  • Fucks sake. This again?

For those that fail to understand:

1 - Your 'road' tax is not 'road' tax. Its an emissions tax. Based on the pollution and damage your car causes to to the environment. Bicycles cause no pollution or damage - hence no tax. Tax for upkeep of the roads comes from three sources - income tax, VAT and council tax - so everyone pays for the roads. If anyone should be pissed off about paying for the roads, it's pedestrians who don't own a car or a bike. You don't hear them moaning about it do you? Unless you're so libertarian you think that nobody should pay any tax for anything and that services should be rendered in an 'as you use them' basis. In which case we wouldn't HAVE any fucking roads, because nobody woukd ever be able to agree on how much they should pay.

2 - The vast majority of adults who own bicycles also own cars, and pay the same emissions tax that other people who own cars do. So, in principle, those of us who choose to ride a bike when we aren't driving, are, in fact, paying for those people who drive to take the piss out of us with this whinge.

So, politely, fuck off.

I’ll take that as a no.

• Bollox to Back to the Valley political parties
    Fans on the board
    Kids for a squid
    Red white and black days

I knew Charlton were inovators at something...

Fecking pot holes!