Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Close

Comments

• But no cigar
  • Can’t see the point ...
  • this thread
  • Let’s get close
    Closer than close
  • not even
  • Don't push me cos I'm close to the edge
  • Glenn Close. Dirty.
  • Sponsored links:

• ..the door on your way out.
  • Brookside
  • your eyes, give me your hand, darlin'
  • Underrated all rounder who should have played for England more than he did.

RIP
  • Knit
  • To you
    La lalala la
    Close to you
  • LenGlover said:

Underrated all rounder who should have played for England more than he did.

RIP

Being a bit younger, he was just a name to me rather than someone I really knew about. What amazes me though is how so many sportsmen of that generation and earlier looked so old. Did they prematurely age through living harder lives, take no care of their appearance at all or could they have longer sporting careers in those days?
  • Stig said:

LenGlover said:

RIP

Being a bit younger, he was just a name to me rather than someone I really knew about. What amazes me though is how so many sportsmen of that generation and earlier looked so old. Did they prematurely age through living harder lives, take no care of their appearance at all or could they have longer sporting careers in those days?
    He epitomises Yorkshire. Strong in the arm, weak in the head.
    Blocking bouncers with your body! Well daft.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2018
    Stig said:

LenGlover said:

RIP

Living through a war as a child may have taken its toll. It certainly affected my late mother who was born at a similar time.

I think the truth of it though is that back in the forties, fifties and even into the sixties young men in particular dressed just like their fathers and grandfathers with jackets and ties and had similar haircuts and styles so looked older than they were.

If the photo you posted is the one I think it is Close was in his early thirties.
  • iainment said:

Stig said:

LenGlover said:

RIP

The first sound of summer - leather thudding in to Brian Close’s body.

• edited April 2018
    Your eyes and I’ll kiss you
    Tomorrow I’ll miss you
    Remember I’ll always be true.

But then I fucked off to Shatfilled Wednesday :smile:

• iainment said:

Stig said:

LenGlover said:

RIP

Strong in the arm, weak in the head?

I’ve been out with a couple of girls from Yorkshire well enough to know their extended family and friends and weak in the head is not the one mate. Dunno who you know.
  • board fencing.
  • edited April 2018
    LenGlover said:

RIP

I don't think he was underrated. He was a solid county player but despite a 27 year Test career never managed to cement a regular place and played just over 20 Tests in that long period. His toughness, tactical awareness, captaincy and general Yorkshireness meant he stood out more. A prodigious young talent was never fully realised and he didn't help himself by consistently getting embroiled in controversy.
    He played 1st class cricket well into his 50's due to his own invitational side DB Close XI being given 1st Class status. A massive influence on Ian Botham and the catalyst for Somerset's long overdue success in the late 70's and early 80's.
    A very good cricketer but not a great.
  • Brookside?
  • I gets mi close at Primark.
  • Miroslave!