Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best Duchatelet Era 18

Who would be in yours?

This includes any player from any squad used by any Charlton Manager/Coach for first team games in the Duchatelet Era.

The judgement must be based on what they did with us during the Duchatelet era

So yeah quite strict, we can't remember what happened before that date in January 2014 that has left us with years of misery...

I'll start off:

Hamer
Solly Gomez Morrison DaSilva
Holmes Buyens Cousins Gudmundsson
Kermorgant Lookman

Subs:
Pope, Wiggins, Dervite, Fosu, Vetokele

Hamer - Picked because in my opinion he was the best keeper we've had PLAYING FOR US in the Duchatelet years... so far.
Solly - Think he's been our only consistent right back, he's used what we have seen him do in a Charlton shirt to slide into this side.
Gomez - Dervite was close but I think Gomez was far beyond what we already had.
Morrison - Easy choice, best CB we have had in years. Let go to many fans disgust.
DaSilva - Best LB we have had here in years.
Holmes - Best RM/LM we have had here in League 1 years and only can be second to JBG.
Buyens - Best CM we have had here in years.
Cousins - Great player, sad to see him committed to the bench for QPR.
Gudmundsson - Best LM/RM we have had here in Championship years.
Kermorgant - Best striker we have had since the premiership years (Alongside BWP best partnership since) broke my own rules in order to include him.
Lookman - Best prospect we have had and I'm glad he's not rotting on the Everton bench...

Pope - Gone on to be the best English Goalkeeper, certainly surpassed all others, but wasn't better than Hamer in his time for us.
Wiggins - Best left back we had before JDS. At least that I could remember.
Dervite - Edged out by Morrison and Gomez... Not a bad pairing to be edged out by.
Fosu - Either him or Bulot could have had this position really, though I think Bulot would edge it, I can't forget his pre ACN performances.
Vetokele - That first season for us he was fantastic to watch. A real shame he was never able to replicate it after the injuries.

Special Mentions - post edits - now the last 2 subs
Alou Diarra - Added class and composure that resonated throughout the squad.
Johnnie Jackson - Class capitan and we've not looked the same without his leadership on the pitch.

Comments

• Surely it should be 18? That's the number of subs allowed these days. And you've written Amos, but named Hamer. Same with Bauer/Gomez, Dervite/Diarra
  • Yeah I had a few change of mind moments.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Who would be in yours?

This includes any player from any squad used by any Charlton Manager/Coach for first team games in the Duchatelet Era.

The judgement must be based on what they did with us during the Duchatelet era

So yeah quite strict, we can't remember what happened before that date in January 2014 that has left us with years of misery...

I'll start off:

Amos
    Solly Bauer Morrison DaSilva
    Holmes Buyens Cousins Gudmundsson
    Kermorgant Lookman

Subs:
    Pope, Wiggins, Diarra, Fosu, Vetokele

Hamer - Picked because in my opinion he was the best keeper we've had PLAYING FOR US in the Duchatelet years... so far.
    Solly - Think he's been our only consistent right back, he's used what we have seen him do in a Charlton shirt to slide into this side.
    Gomez - Dervite was close but I think Gomez was far beyond what we already had.
    Morrison - Easy choice, best CB we have had in years. Let go to many fans disgust.
    DaSilva - Best LB we have had here in years.
    Holmes - Best RM/LM we have had here in League 1 years and only can be second to JBG.
    Buyens - Best CM we have had here in years.
    Cousins - Great player, sad to see him committed to the bench for QPR.
    Gudmundsson - Best LM/RM we have had here in Championship years.
    Kermorgant - Best striker we have had since the premiership years (Alongside BWP best partnership since) broke my own rules in order to include him.
    Lookman - Best prospect we have had and I'm glad he's not rotting on the Everton bench...

Pope - Gone on to be the best English Goalkeeper, certainly surpassed all others, but wasn't better than Hamer in his time for us.
    Wiggins - Best left back we had before JDS. At least that I could remember.
    Dervite - Edged out by Morrison and Gomez... Not a bad pairing to be edged out by.
    Fosu - Either him or Bulot could have had this position really, though I think Bulot would edge it, I can't forget his pre ACN performances.
    Vetokele - That first season for us he was fantastic to watch. A real shame he was never able to replicate it after the injuries.

Special Mentions
    Alou Diarra - Added class and composure that resonated throughout the squad.
    Johnnie Jackson - Class capitan and we've not looked the same without his leadership on the pitch.
    You've named nineteen players.
  • edited March 2018
    Chizz said:

You've named nineteen players.

Edited. I named 19 due to some changes to personel and forgot to remove the cast aways.
  • edited March 2018
    Diarra in for Morrison. Diarra much better with the ball at his feet.
  • Buyens is not one of the best centre midfielders we've had in years.

Jackson was far better at his peak, as was Dale Stephens, as was Diego Poyet first time around. As was Danny Hollands in the title-winning season.
  • edited March 2018
    MrLargo said:

Buyens is not one of the best centre midfielders we've had in years.

Jackson was far better at his peak, as was Dale Stephens, as was Diego Poyet first time around. As was Danny Hollands in the title-winning season.

Jackson at his peak did not play in the Duchatelet era, Poyet could be a fair shout. Stephens was not better than Buyens in my opinion, unless we're just referring to his ability to drill a shot... Hollands didn't play in the Duchatelet era

Therefore I'd argue that Buyens was one of the best CM's we have had in years... 4 years is multiple of a year and is therefore definable as 'years'.

The post asked what your side would be?
  • edited March 2018
    Was thinking about this myself from the JBG thread...

and to combine with this season I'm going for a good old 4-2-3-1 formation

Hamer
    Solly | Bauer | Morrison | Dasilva
    Diarra | Buyens
    Bulot | Holmes | Gudmundsson
    Kermorgant

Hamer: As you say, he was the best Goalkeeper we've had recently, Henderson was good yet too injury prone whilst Nick Pope was good, he was also too green in stages to be better than Ben Hamer

Solly: As you say, one of the best Right-Backs we've had in recent years (let alone under RD) - Probably have to go back to Luke Young as a better one?... the fact he's now a scapegoat is a joke, he'll be a Charlton legend.

Bauer: Selected him over Joe Gomez for the same reasons as Hamer over Pope, has that little bit more experience... Other than Gudmundsson, he's the best foreign import we've paid money for under Roland

Morrison: Like Hamer, he's the best Centre-Back we've had in recent years, you probably have to go back to the Premier League to find one better... Would have him back in a heart-beat!!

Dasilva: Should be an England International one day, better than Solly in his prime... Just gets ahead of Wiggins

Diarra: Picked over Cousins because of his experience and leadership, god we were good with him!!

Buyens: Very under rated by many Charlton fans, was a class Midfielder and we missed him the following season, along with Bulot... He's the best foreign loan import that we've signed

Bulot: Had a slow start to his Charlton career yet boy could he play, such a shame that we didnt get him back the following season as him and Gudmundsson would have been lethal on either flank

Holmes: Just like the foreign imports, our signings since returning to League One have been suspect... the last few months of his Charlton career will always leave a question mark, but could get a goal out of nothing!!

Gudmundsson: The fact he's playing for a team 7th in the Premier League shows what a good player he was... More statement signings from Roland like him, could have seen us in the Premier League ourselves

Kermorgant: Whoever doesnt have him in their team needs their head testing or is Roland
  • You think Lookman is a better prospect that Gomez?
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:

MrLargo said:

Jackson at his peak did not play in the Duchatelet era, Poyet could be a fair shout. Stephens was not better than Buyens in my opinion, unless we're just referring to his ability to drill a shot... Hollands didn't play in the Duchatelet era

Therefore I'd argue that Buyens was one of the best CM's we have had in years... 4 years is multiple of a year and is therefore definable as 'years'.

Not too dissimilar to yours, but with Buyens and Holmes nowhere near it.
  • In terms of how they played when RD was owner (also taking into account that we're current in L1 and performances at that level should count lower than performances in the Championship)

GK: Henderson (though none really stand out)
    RB: Gomez
    LB: Dasilva
    CB: Fanni (if he had been there for a season, I think we would have been really solid). Alternatively Morrison, Bauer, Tex, Dervite etc
    CB: Tal Ben Haim
    CM: Diarra
    CM: Buyens
    LM: Bulot
    RM: Gudmundsson
    FW: Vetokele
    FW: ????? Lookman or Watt or whoever. Maybe Holmes if we play 4231

I've excluded the likes of Yann and Dale Stephens as they hardly played under RD. Jackson's best days were under the Spivs really. Coquelin would justify a place on quality, but only played 5 games for us. Poyet lost his place due to his rubbish second spell
  • se9addick said:

You think Lookman is a better prospect that Gomez?

In terms of what he did with us, for us, yes.
  • edited March 2018
    So, of the 19 players mentioned in the opening post, four that remain with us but come next season Da Silva will be back at Chelsea, Solly won't be going anywhere but might struggle to hold down a first team place, JJ will be retired which leaves just Fosu.

Which is why we are where we are.
  • So, of the 19 players mentioned in the opening post, five remain with us but come next season Da Silva will be back at Chelsea, Gomez will be sold, Solly won't be going anywhere but might struggle to hold down a first team place, JJ will be retired which leaves just Fosu.

Erm... Gomez was sold a while back now buddy...
  • Dazzler21 said:

So, of the 19 players mentioned in the opening post, five remain with us but come next season Da Silva will be back at Chelsea, Gomez will be sold, Solly won't be going anywhere but might struggle to hold down a first team place, JJ will be retired which leaves just Fosu.

Quite so. My apologies and edited accordingly.
  • Dazzler21 said:

So, of the 19 players mentioned in the opening post, five remain with us but come next season Da Silva will be back at Chelsea, Gomez will be sold, Solly won't be going anywhere but might struggle to hold down a first team place, JJ will be retired which leaves just Fosu.

Quite so. My apologies and edited accordingly.
    It's even sadder when you think only 4 remain! But then we are now in League 1 as you say. It also says a lot that 11 of the players were Powell's or Academy products too...
  • No disputing Kermogant's ability I loved the bloke but if the criterion is during the DUCHATELET era then he was barely present. If Kermy is in then why not Dale Stephens?

Based purely on Duchatelet era and stage of development of players like Pope at that time:

Henderson

Solly

Bauer

Ben Haim

Dasilva

Gudmundsson

Diarra

Cousins

Bulot

Vetokele

Lookman

• So, of the 19 players mentioned in the opening post, four that remain with us but come next season Da Silva will be back at Chelsea, Solly won't be going anywhere but might struggle to hold down a first team place, JJ will be retired which leaves just Fosu.

It's not surprising though that the best players under RTD will be those we had when in the Championship. If you were to pick a best Curbishley team, the majority would be those who played in the PL rather than the 2nd tier.
  • edited March 2018
    LenGlover said:

No disputing Kermogant's ability I loved the bloke but if the criterion is during the DUCHATELET era then he was barely present. If Kermy is in then why not Dale Stephens?

Based purely on Duchatelet era and stage of development of players like Pope at that time:

Henderson

Solly

Bauer

Ben Haim

Dasilva

Gudmundsson

Diarra

Cousins

Bulot

Vetokele

Lookman

I’d go along with that, except I’d have Gomez in ahead of Solly and Pope in for Henderson.
  • Sponsored links:

• A Worst Duchâtelet Era 18 thread would be fun.
  • JamesSeed said:

A Worst Duchâtelet Era 18 thread would be fun.

We probably haven’t signed them all yet
  • Dazzler21 said:

I think Gomez was much better than Lookman for us and Lookman was brilliant.

That end of season run was partly thanks to him getting a run of games in the back four, we stopped leaking goals with him alongside Roger Johnson!!!
  • Dazzler21 said:

I think Gomez was much better than Lookman for us and Lookman was brilliant.

That end of season run was partly thanks to him getting a run of games in the back four, we stopped leaking goals with him alongside Roger Johnson!!!
    I personally thought Gomez was much better for us than Lookman.
  • Dazzler21 said:

MrLargo said:

Really though? We didn't get to see enough of Dale in the Championship with a decent team around him but he's currently a key part of 11th placed Brighton's Premier League team. Buyens couldn't get into the Genk team this season and is currently playing 2nd Division football in Belgium. Dale is one of those players where it was easy to overlook his talents - I struggled sometimes to see what he brought in some games - but he's been near ever-present in the Premier League this season after walking the Championship as part of a good side. Personally I think Dale is the best CM we've had in a very long time
  • I'm reserving judgement until it's all over. Plenty of time yet for another 18 pleyers to make that list. Oh fuck!
  • Redhenry said:

Diarra in for Morrison. Diarra much better with the ball at his feet.

Diarra not in any way a long term solution you could build an actual championship / league one team around. Same with Bailey, Ben Haim and most of the players inflicted on the club over the last 4 years
  • Henderson

Solly
    Ben Haim
    Diarra
    Da Silva (Wiggins was already on the slide)

Gudmundsson
    Buyens
    Cousins

Bulot
    Vetokele
    Lookman

Amos, Bauer, Adjarevic, Poyet, Fosu, Holmes, Gomez
  • ------------------Hamer
    Solly - Gomez - Diarra - Wiggins
    --------------Diara-----Poyet
    JBG----------Stephens-------Lookman
    --------------------Kerm